In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

WFO - Early season comfort food.

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by fishingpol, Aug 3, 2014.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Yesterday barely made it over 70 degrees with overcast conditions and winds off the ocean. It was a damp, cool day. By the afternoon, dry air moved in, dropping the humidity, and the temps went below 70.

    I fired the oven and split up a large piece of hard maple. Just a little sap boiling out the lower ends of the splits.

    IMG_8240.JPG


    Inside, the wife cooked up some potatoes and I pan fried kielbasa. The oven rolled along nicely.
    I have a bunch of cut up locust fence rails drying on the bottom right to try later this year.

    The neighbors stacks are in the background. They are top covered only right now, so no green tarps to look at all summer.

    IMG_8236.JPG


    I put beans in the casserole dish, added bias-cut kielbasa with some brown sugar and topped it with cheddar-jack mashed potatoes.


    IMG_8243.JPG

    When it met temperature, I raked the coals forward and soaked the floor for a little while.

    After soaking, I removed the coals set and iron trivet down and put the dish in.

    IMG_8247.JPG


    About 45 minutes later, it's about done. It could have used 15 more minutes, but it was getting late for dinner at this point. If I fired the oven a little hotter, it would have been fine.

    This is a keeper recipe for later in the year when it turns cold.
    IMG_8249.JPG



    IMG_8250.JPG
     
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    The dish looks great! Can you tell me how much time it takes to get the oven to be ready for the food and the boards I see covering the entrance, do they stay in place when it's not in use? I really like the lean-to covering the oven. :)
     
    fishingpol and papadave like this.
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    The firing time depends on what is cooking. For pizza cooking temps, a solid hour. The dough prep and rise can be done while heating, so the timing is perfect. Breads and casseroles, about 45 minutes.

    The wood firing door is part of the original form that I used to make the door opening. I cut across the bottom at 5 degrees, so it pitches back against the opening.
     
    papadave likes this.
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Awesome.
     
    fishingpol likes this.
  5. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
    Awesome:drool: I love your set up there:thumbs:
     
    fishingpol likes this.
  6. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,531
    Likes Received:
    95,619
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I just found out what kielbasa is and that looks good. I would think this would make a very good cold weather dish. Thanks for posting the process. I didn't realize you put a door in place while the actual cooking was going on.
     
    campinspecter and fishingpol like this.
  7. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Only for baking breads, roasts and casseroles. Mostly for longer cooking time, medium cooked foods. Pizza and calzones need the high heat and live fire in the back of the oven to cook.

    Kielbasa is great. We grill it, cut it up and put it in mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, pea soup, etc. It goes great with pan fried pierogies.

    Can you source it locally out there?
     
  8. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    WW, beat me to the same question, the heat requirements of different foods. I was wondering what foods (like pizza) would have a continuous fire and the doorway left open.
    Can you tell me what the temps the coals give you when the door is closed for baking?
    and what the temps are with a fire and the door is open?
     
  9. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,531
    Likes Received:
    95,619
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I haven't looked for it yet. Probably in the bigger town south of us (2 1/2 hrs) I might be able to find it.
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  10. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    If you find a source, load up.
    It freezes fine.
     
  11. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Ohhhh, that looks soooo delicious! Nice cooking!
     
    fishingpol likes this.
  12. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Open door, besides pizza and calzones, I would say fajitas, a broiled steak in a cast iron pan, shrimp, lobster and clams. It is like a broiler at that point, if it is well fed before throwing food in, it will throw some heat. Firing it to temp can put it in the range 800 to 1,000 degrees I would think. I don't have an accurate gauge. I did pin the oven thermometer and crack the glass.

    With the door in place, the coals are taken out, I have the temp from 400-500. A little higher in cold weather, it can loose heat a bit quicker.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  13. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,531
    Likes Received:
    95,619
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I tried putting my oven thermometer down in to the boiler to see what temps my potatoes were cooking at. It also got pinned and discolored the writing and the finish on the metal. I had to get a new one for my electric oven. On that occasions the potatoes cooked quite quickly.
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  14. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    That looks amazing!
     
  15. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Sorta' like a shepard's pie, but with other stuff inside.
    I had a couple hot dogs, some tater salad, and baked beans for lunch yesterday because of this.
    Not quite the same, but close.:D
     
    Woodwidow likes this.