In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Yard work + getting old

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Redneckchevy, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

I have to fully agree with all Y'all, this generation has no work ethic or drive and it's very sad to see. I got my first job at 12, I got the phone book out and started calling every place in town asking if they had a job opening and I ended up getting a job that way at a local horse training place turning the horses out and cleaning the barn, road my bike there and home every day my parents didn't even know I was looking for a job tell I told them I had a interview haha and have held a full time job sense then, for a fair while I had a full time Monday to Friday job plus a weekend job and our farm at home.

I like hand splitting with the iso-core and will still be splitting with that a fair amount as well, but will be nice for that harder to split wood

2. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

Correct, I turned 30 this month.

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I'm 65. All my career I worked with technology, sitting behind a desk.

Got married at 24. Bought a house and 3/4 acre, 2yrs later. Major house addition/renovation, 6yrs later, including the wood stove.

While I'm not ready for an olympic event, I don't suffer from any chronic body pains.

I enjoy cutting and splitting by hand, because I can. I’ll get a hydro splitter when I feel splitting becomes a chore. There's just enough yard to always have something to do.

Everyone's situation is different. We have no kids amd no debt. While not "rich", we have been fortunate to have had successful investments that are keeping us afloat. My wife collects SS, a pension, and takes minimum IRA withdrawals. I'll start collecting SS in another 18mos. I feel we are fortunate that our early planning and saving, allows us to live the life we do. I like to think we are frugal, without being stingy.

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

B54ED447-C5E8-4CEF-AE5A-491740EC2A69.jpeg
    2 young wannabe 16 earning some car insurance $$

5. Horkn

Horkn

I don't think so. I'm fairly young, and I hoard wood. There's a few that are quite a bit younger than me here on FHC, and I've seen younger ones even yet processing firewood.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Wish i was 30 again. My problem is a act like im 30 in terms of working. Enjoy it as it doesnt get any easier.

7. Biddleman

Biddleman

I often wonder how many of those making greenbacks on their life styles would still be doing it if they weren't making money from it.

As for if we are a dieing breed, Im afraid we are. I tell people about my firewood process, they look at me as though Im nuts. I have heard so many times, " isn't there an easier way?," Isnt that a lot of work, etc...
    They just dont get it.

Reminds me of when I was younger and a guy I worked with asked me why do I waste me time hunting and fishing, when you can just go buy food at a store.

8. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Cause my teevee broke & I never bought another one.

Horkn, Rich L, EODMSgt and 4 others like this.
  9. Chud

Chud

I’ve been told the neighbors think I’m a murderer.
    That I must have a lot of issues to work out.
    Obviously I’m not getting laid
    Don’t you have enough?
    Lol, what if it’s all true?

10. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Horkn and Rich L like this.