In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lights flickering from washer

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by JackHammer, Jul 16, 2021.

1. JackHammer

JackHammer

I have an old house that has romex wiring but every time we run the washing machine, the lights flicker. I put a power conditioner/surge protector on the outlet but that didn't fix the issue. I didn't really think it would, but it was worth a shot.
    Is this something I need to fix at the panel? It seems that a lot of rooms are affected, even rooms on the other side of the house.

Screwloose, bogieb, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

What year was the house built?
    How long has this occurring?
    Circuit breakers in main panel or screw in fuses?
    Do you have an old garage door opener?:D
    :rofl: :lol:

Screwloose, Ron T, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  3. Semipro

Semipro

Since this seems to be affecting other circuits I'd start at your fuse/breaker panel. My first guess would be a poor connection at the main breaker or elsewhere in that panel.
    If you happen to have access to an infrared camera or an infrared thermometer you can scan the panel for hotspots while the washer is running.
    Sometimes you can even hear a bad connection when it's under a load. It can make a sizzling sound even without visual evidence of a bad connection.
    If you're handly you can monitor voltages at different points and look for voltage drops also.

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

What is draw in amps of washer?? I would think an electric dryer, water pump, hair dryer would draw more..

Are you on well?

5. chris

chris

Typically this can be caused by aged contacts at various connection points particularly the neutral/ ground buss in the main panel. Crack each connection loose and re-tighten. After that you have to start tracing lines from there back to outlet and fixture - royal pia. Because my panel main feed line conduit was never sealed up and the panel is mounted directly to the concrete wall in basement ( there should have been at least a board between the panel and the wall this in a 1990 build)- the condensation in there was so bad it would leak on to the floor. The corrosion inside the panel is unreal. To make matters worse at some later date a standby genny and transfer switch assembly was added which is also slightly messed up. Even then the installers never corrected the condensation issue and those 2 panels are again directly mounted to wall.

6. JackHammer

JackHammer

Wow! Lots of responses. I knew you guys would be able to help.
    The house was built in 1830. It is on a well with 220v and I do have a garage door opener (not sure why this is relevant Eric!) The old man that lived in the house before me was a commercial electrician and ran conduit through the whole house. All the workers that have been in the house have said he did a good job. The part of the house with the washer was a remodel from the 90's and the romex is in good shape. (I know because I ripped that wall out)
    The panel and subpanel was professionally replaced about 2 years ago. The washer is new but the older washer made the lights flicker too. Maybe it has gotten worse so it could be a connection issue, I didn't think of that.
    I will look into ir cameras and see if that is something to buy. I do have an ir temperature gun, I will give that a shot. I haven't heard any buzzing but I haven't been listening.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Screwloose, mat60, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  7. JackHammer

JackHammer

It doesn't seem like the draw is the problem, just the surging.
    ....but maybe that indicates that the draw is insufficient.

8. JackHammer

JackHammer

There is a good amount of water in the basement but it drains pretty well. There is a dehumidifier running 24/7. I don't think it would be condensation in the box, but could be a short in the wires.

They couldn't find the old ground so they ran a new ground. That part should be good coming off from the breaker panel.

9. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Incandescent, fluorescent or LED bulbs?
    Are the flickering lights on different circuits?
    In addition to the above suggestions, I would be checking the load on the circuit when washer is running.

10. JackHammer

JackHammer

We have primarily incandescent and haolgen bulbs. They all flicker together. I think they are on different circuits but I will have to take a closer look.
    I don't have a lot of experience with electrical other than replacing fixtures and outlets but I can look into figuring out working loads.

11. Erik B

Erik B

Is anything else running when you see the flickering lights? When I run my paper shredder, lights flicker that are on the same circuit.

Screwloose, mat60, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  12. JackHammer

JackHammer

Yes. Pretty much what you might expect on any given Saturday. Lights, dehumidifier, computers, vacuum, power tools, dishwasher, kitchen appliances... Even with Just a few lights, the flicker is very apparent, seemingly through the whole house.

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Washer kicks on well pump is my guess..
    Probably on same side of panels draws a lot on 1 leg

Screwloose, mat60, Eric VW and 4 others like this.
  14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Are you close to Chicago? one of few cities that conduit is code on all electrical.

Screwloose, mat60, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  15. JackHammer

JackHammer

I have that on a separate 220 breaker. Should cut off the pump and see what happens? It seems like the agitate wash cycle is the worst(naturally). How long does it take a well pump to run? The flickering will continue the duration of the wash, even when there are not a lot of other electrical things running. You are right though, it likely needs to run at some point due to the water usage so that could be an issue.

16. JackHammer

JackHammer

Ohio. I don't think it is common in my area.

17. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

It sounds like a loose connection. If the lights are on different circuits, start in the panel.
    If you're not experienced/trained you might want to get someone who is to help you out.

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Ok JackHammer I want to say that electricity is dangerous. Especially if you have water in your basement! I’m assuming that’s where your panel is. So if you feel the least bit froggy, get someone with experience to help you.

If you look at where your electric comes into usually the top of your panel it looks like an upside down Y. Each leg of the Y carries X number of amps and volts. If your water pump and washer we’re on the same side of the panel it could cause the flickering by over draw.

Since you stated later, It was worse during the agitated cycle. I would change my original thought and go with a loose wire somewhere because that cycle Carries the most vibration and not much water use.

yes your well pump needs 220 because it draws so much power

19. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Try plugging the washer into a quality extension cord and see if the flickering still happens when you are plugged into different outlets/circuits...just not the same one the garage door is on... ;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Screwloose, eatonpcat, Ron T and 6 others like this.