In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My firewood storage and handling system...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by brenndatomu, Jul 22, 2016.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

...like ya stole it?
    ...like a NYC cabbie?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    mat60 and PA Mountain Man like this.
  2. HDRock

HDRock

More like an endurance test, do everything to see if something will break, and occasionally it might involve a collision with a pole or another car:whistle:
    Transmissions held up really well under the abuse, back tires have a little wear on them though:rofl: :lol:

3. chris

chris

When The Janesville GM Assembly plant was running the guys/gals running the units off the line got a $0.50 hazard / unit for that job. Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy EH?

4. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Looking good brenndatomu , slick set-up all nice tight and organized!

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Thank ya sir! :handshake:
    I still use the same firewood system, except I no longer take the wood inside the furnace room...it stays in the attached basement garage...the bugs wake up when you bring them into the house for a few days before using them for bonus BTU's! :startled:
    I don't have the ole Yukon wood/oil furnace shown in the pics there anymore either...been replaced with a spiffy new (to me) Kuuma Vaporfire 100 :yes::yes:

6. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Thanks for bringing this 5 year old post back to life brenndatomu ...
    That’s one heck of a BTU production line you imagineered for yourself and I really dig the vintage mini forklift too :thumbs: I can see why you don’t want to push the envelope with it and I’m sure it’s got plenty of sentimental value too.

Eric VW and brenndatomu like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Thank you...yes if the ole girl ever breaks, and I can't make humpty dumpty whole again, I will be sad...she's not much to look at, but handy as a shirt pocket!
    Dad had it modified from a "stander" (OEM) to a "sitter" by the old neighbor guy, (pic of OEM)
    [​IMG]
    but then he used it a couple times for what he had in mind for it, didn't like it, then it sat in the shed for many years...around about 2012-2013 I had in mind setting up the firewood system I am still using, with the racks and all, and wanted to find a small 4WD loader tractor that would lift 1000 lbs or so, AND, be small enough to not take up too much room in the garage, AND, not cost an arm and a leg, as I couldn't justify spending $10k (plus) on a tractor to use mainly just for this one task. Didn't find anything to fit the bill. Some time went by and one day I remembered this old forklift dad had...I asked him if he still had it and he said yeah, somewhere...I found it clear in the back of the machinery shed at the farm, sunk to the frame down into the dirt, the new (back then) Honda engine missing from it, long ago cabbaged for a log splitter that my brother built.
    I grabbed the neighbors Gradall telehandler to get it out, since moving all the old non running antique tractors, and junk, that was in front of the lowly ole forklift would have been a huge task...Gradall did an excellent job of picking the Prime Mover up and over everything...took the ole girl home and aired up the tires, bolted on an old Honda engine I had laying around on it (direct bolt on too!) and went to work...has turned out to be the ideal tool for the job. The best part is it was very near free to me, just a few parts to buy, and it only takes up about as much room as a 4 wheeler, or garden tractor in the garage! :thumbs: