In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Brains? Cool art work?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Jun 26, 2021.

  1. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,088
    Likes Received:
    42,874
    Location:
    NJ
    I was cutting some EAB ash this morning and the entire log has been stripped of bark. As I was cutting, I couldn’t help to think the markings they leave behind look like brains and/or cool artwork. This log was 8’ long and 24” in diameter for scale. Sure does make some great looking and clean firewood when done.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    It sure is nice when you get logs with no bark. Here we get a good amount of barkless elm and it really does make great firewood. But you can have the art work and wood-brains.
     
  3. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,255
    Likes Received:
    54,042
    Location:
    NC
    Nice, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a big bark less log outside of Stihl timber sports competitions.
     
  4. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,088
    Likes Received:
    42,874
    Location:
    NJ
    It surprised me when the whole bark came off in a big sheet. I ended up with 3 of em like that.
     
  5. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,747
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    Many of the standing dead elm trees I get are mostly barkless. And If they’re not the bark comes off in big sheets. I often try to see how long of a piece I can get off, my best that I can remember was over 7ft long. The sheets of bark are often more of a pain to clean up than the limbs and twigs
     
  6. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,434
    Location:
    Ct
    Pull out the chainsaw and whip up some barstools out of em ;)
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,753
    Likes Received:
    214,959
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    That is cool. I kind of marvel at EAB trails when the bark comes off.
     
    amateur cutter, jrider and Cash Larue like this.