In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Saw For A Newish Guy

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dylan Vickers, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Dylan Vickers

Dylan Vickers

Have a 170 now gonna keep it and upgrade to a pro series saw. Im thinkin the 362cm a 20in bar will handle about all my needs. Also prolly buy a 25in light for the occasional big 24in oak with a full skip possibly? And someday muff mod the saw and or port it. What are your thoughts. And i know id love to have a 462 or 500i but not really a reasonable option at the moment. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

My 362 is the first Stihl saw I ever bought, and I still use it about as much as any of them. A 24 inch Tsumura Lightweight bar lives on mine. A 20 inch might be the better bar length, but I just like the 24". The new 400C might be a better choice then the 362 now days, a little more powerful and only about a pound more, but probably a little more expensive.

And don't forget about the 261CM, not a bad saw either.

3. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I have a 362m-tronic and like it a lot. I did have it ported, though a “tame” port imho. It runs a 20” great and I had occasionally run a 28” until I found a deal on a ported 460. Now the 28” loves on that saw. I think a 362 can be a great all around saw, but wonder if a ported 261 would be better for my needs. That said, in my opinion, a 362 is a great one saw plan.

4. Dylan Vickers

Dylan Vickers

I have also thought about the 261 and the 400 as well. I still am considering a 261 but would be limited to an 18 or 20 inch bar. But then id have an excuse to someday by a 462 that way. Thanks for the replies.

5. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

I'm in the minority. I run a 16" on a ported 026, a 20" on a ported 440 and a 24" on a 394 and a ported 395. I have longer bars for each, but the shorter bars make bigger grins. I like short bars and I cannot lie:rolleyes:

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Dylan, don't make the mistake thinking if you cut an occasional 25" (or whatever) that you have to have a big saw and at least a 25 or 28" bar. That is not the case. Yes, sometimes it can be fun to run the big saws and it gives some folks bragging rights, but are they necessary?

M2theB, amateur cutter, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Whoops, the above got posted before I was done.

For years and years I cut all of our wood with a 16" bar and never had a problem. I also cut many trees that were 25" and over. The largest tree with that was a 32 or 33" diameter and I had no problem. Yes, a larger saw ad longer bar would cut faster but I don't race when using power tools! I also do not do like some who cut on one side of the tree then go to the other side. I cut from one side and only change sides when I have to cut a limb or something else. So why spend money needlessly? I cut for years with a 290 and 16" bar. Today I have a 261 and love it.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Depends on your cutting habits. I owned a 170 and was good for limbing/cutting smalls etc. The 362 is a great pro saw (i own the 361, a precursor to the 362) and ive used a 28" bar on it. Normally wears an 18" bar. IMO sounds like you are spot on with your saw wants although a 261 is a great saw too. Mine came with a 20" bar which ive buried in a cut and it handled it fine. Now a 16" the norm.

Just dont catch CAD (chainsaw acquisition disorder)
    I owned three saws when i joined FHC 2 1/2 years ago and now look at me! :saw: :loco: :crazy: The bigger saws are fun to run but did i really need them? :whistle:
    Hoard on and cut safe!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  9. MAF143

MAF143

Totally happy with my 362 M-Tronic. Muffler Mod and a timing advance. 18" full comp bar/chain combo that is square filed is on it most of the time. 25" light with full skip and square grind chain for most everything else. I do have a 32" for the occasional noodling of a 60" long log to get on our sawmill that is too big of diameter for the mill to handle. I did an oiler mod for the larger bars because the newer saws seem skimpy on the oiling.

I've had this saw for over a year and I've run it hard (not commercially) for personal use. Well over 30 cord cut with it so far. All hardwoods. I find it is a nice balance of weight, performance, and handling for me. I'm in my early 60's and not really looking for a bigger saw.

Good luck with whichever saw you end up choosing

10. Dylan Vickers

Dylan Vickers

Thanks again guys. My little 170 really has done pretty good the past couple days cutting some small black walnut and standing dead ash it still is completely stock with 16in. bar. I really probably could get by with just a 20 inch bar for the most part. But i know im gonna want a bigger saw down the road either way.

11. MAF143

MAF143

By the way, welcome to the Firewood Hoarders Club!!! I forgot to welcome you earlier because I get so enthusiastic about chainsaw talk... :emb: :nerd:

12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Welcome to FHC Dylan Vickers :handshake: .... A lot of great advise so far... How are you planning on using it? Scrounges or places that you chose your diameter... How often are you going to be tackling the bigger size wood? As I age and my back gets feeling the weight... Lighter weight options are at a premium...

M2theB, amateur cutter and Erik B like this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

X2! :BrianK:

Chvymn99, amateur cutter and Erik B like this.
  14. Dylan Vickers

Dylan Vickers

Ill be able to choose what i cut for the most part not sayin i wont pick up some freebies here and there. Itll be mostly dead standing or fresh fallen trees dont wanna be cutting down perfectly good trees if i dont have too. Again plenty of dead ash in illinois to cut on and keep me satisfied for awhile.

15. Chaz

Chaz

Dylan Vickers. I can only echo Dennis's (Backwoods Savage ) thoughts.

I have used a Poulan 4218 for over 20 yrs.. much of that recreational. But have used it for a solid 9 yrs bringing in the wood at our current property.

Take care of the saw and it will serve you well.

If you have the need for a bigger saw.. well then..
    :makeitrain"

Buy what you need and can afford.
    :saw:

M2theB, Fifelaker, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  16. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Man, what is wrong with you guys? Trying to talk poor Dylan Vickers out of buying way more saw/s than he needs & urging caution with CAD. Have you gone to some sort of 12 step group & not invited me. Everybody needs at least a dozen saws, 1/2 dozen tractors, four trucks & a few trailers right? Oh & don't forget the skidder & a couple splitters too. I don't have a problem, I can quit anytime, I swear.:picard:
    P.S. Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. I too have to agree that an MS 261 would be a fine saw for the work you describe Dylan.

Eckie, M2theB, Ashwatcher and 5 others like this.
  17. Chaz

Chaz

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Well, I'm not very good at the 12 step program.
    :whistle:

:cheers:

But I could type him out a list of things I wish I had.
    :makeitrain"

Could take a day or two.
    :whistle:

18. rdust

rdust

Ran an ms361 with a 20” bar for years. First real saw I bought when I started burning wood in 2009. Not much it can’t do when it comes to firewood. Bought a new ms261 and new ported ms462 last cutting season. Nothing I “needed” to buy but totally happy with both of them. The 261 is a dream to run and the 462 makes me smile ear to ear when I run it.

The 362 will make a great saw for a 1 saw plan.

M2theB, Dylan Vickers, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  19. Gasifier

Gasifier

20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

MAF143, amateur cutter and Chaz like this.