In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Been there. All you can do is keep loving Mollie and keep her comfortable. The eyes tell you when it's time and it hurts every time.

2. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. We really needed it. We only got about an inch of rain, you got a bit more by you, but we'll take what we got. It is supposed to rain again tonight, then Sunday evening too. It was 3 weeks since we got any rain, and even then it was very little.

Thor, T.Jeff Veal, savemoney and 6 others like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

They are so inflated now, that the materials can only go down from here.

4. Horkn

Horkn

So sorry to hear about Molly savemoney . Give her some time, she might surprise you.

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

The portable evaporative cooler I bought arrived really early-Today!! LOL, we don't need it tonight.

6. tree killer

tree killer

Can’t like this Larry but I’m praying for he best. I’ve had lots of labs my whole life, this never gets easier. Cancer sucks and we can’t do much about that weather dogs or humans. Not that you don’t already but give her your heart and soul and make sure she knows she’s loved, I truly believe dogs react from that. God bless Molly and may she have many more happy days.

7. tree killer

tree killer

We stayed at a friends place on the lake and rode the side by side to the forks last weekend. We went over the mountain and always stop at the scenic stop on the trail. Same view.

8. bogieb

bogieb

That is my delima - if only you or I had a crystal ball. I mean, even if the prices go down, will everyone who has waited on that to happen going to start buying/building like crazy, and drive them back up?

That was what I was considering when I first went down this path. Really didn't save any money at that time and this is in a high wind area so that is a concern. There is also a metal shortage, so I feel like the same would happen. However, I am going to spend some time researching.

mat60, wildwest, savemoney and 3 others like this.
  9. bogieb

bogieb

Sorry to hear this. I hope you find a way to manage the pain so she is around a good long time.

mat60, wildwest, savemoney and 4 others like this.
  10. fishingpol

fishingpol

bogieb, if you can wait and see where the market goes, it may be the best bet. I have heard several stories of local contractors walking off jobs with lumber price increases.

Larry, I hope for the best for Molly. We are all with you in thoughts and prayers.

Our Holly is undergoing heartworm treatment now. She had her first shot this week. She is being managed well with pain meds but we can tell she is low on energy and taking it easy. I took her out and let her sit in the grass this morning. She is getting better by the day. She has at least two more rounds of shots that will go through August.

20210619_074621.jpg

I worked outside starting at 7:00am pulling bittersweet and multiflora roses from the tree line. I freed up a bunch of black cap raspberries and two mulberries. Chipmunks are already getting the mulberries as well as some mockingbirds.

20210619_095849.jpg

The neighbors are great and are happy with the vines getting pulled. It seems the yards were easier to maintain without vines pulling everything down.

20210619_095803.jpg

Mom and two fawns are out back now. Caught a glimpse this morning.

20210619_062218.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    mat60, Woodwidow, bogieb and 8 others like this.
  11. savemoney

savemoney

Where are you getting all this energy? You seem to be a powerhouse now! Really like the pictures of the work being done. Molly's first dose of pain meds went well. She slept a lot, then went out with me and did a fair amount of wandering around. I have to stay very near her to make sure my son's husky doesn't rough house with her.

mat60, fishingpol, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  12. savemoney

savemoney

This is an old one, but still fun to read:
    Men's Age - According to Home Depot
    Imagine you are in the middle of some kind of project around the house mowing the lawn, putting a new fence in, painting the living room, or whatever.You are hot and sweaty, covered in dirt or paint. You have your old work clothes on. You know the outfit - shorts with the hole in crotch, old T-shirt with a stain from who knows what, and an old pair of tennis shoes.Right in the middle of this great home improvement project you realize you need to run to Home Depot to get something to help complete the job.Depending on your age you might do the following:
    In your 20's:Stop what you are doing. Shave, take a shower, blow dry your hair, brush your teeth, floss, and put on clean clothes. Check yourself in the mirror and flex. Add a dab of your favorite cologne because you never know, you just might meet some hot chick while standing in the checkout lane. You went to school with the pretty girl running the register.
    In your 30's:Stop what you are doing, put on clean shorts and shirt. Change shoes. You married the hot chick so no need for much else. Wash your hands and comb your hair. Check yourself in the mirror. Still got it. Add a shot of your favorite cologne to cover the smell. The cute girl running the register is the kid sister to someone you went to school with.
    In your 40's:Stop what you are doing. Put a sweatshirt that is long enough to cover the hole in the crotch of your shorts. Put on different shoes and a hat. Wash your hands. Your bottle of Brute Cologne is almost empty so you don't want to waste any of it on a trip to Home Depot. Check yourself in the mirror and do more sucking in than flexing. The spicy young thing running the register is your daughter's age and you feel weird thinking she is spicy.
    In your 50's:Stop what you are doing. Put on a hat; wipe the dirt off your hands onto your shirt. Change shoes because you don't want to get dirt in your new sports car. Check yourself in the mirror and you swear not to wear that shirt anymore because it makes you look fat. The cutie running the register smiles when she sees you coming and you think you still have it. Then you remember the hat you have on is from Buddy's Bait & Beer Bar and it says, "I Got Worms."
    In your 60's:Stop what you are doing. No need for a hat anymore. Hose the dog chit off your shoes. The mirror was shattered when you were in your 50's. You hope you have underwear on so nothing hangs out the hole in you pants. The girl running the register may be cute, but you don't have your glasses on so you are not sure.
    In your 70's:Stop what you are doing. Wait to go to Home Depot until they have your prescriptions ready, too. Don't even notice the dog chit on your shoes. The young thing at the register smiles at you because you remind her of her grandfather.
    In your 80's:Stop what you are doing. Start again. Then stop again. Now you remember you needed to go to Home Depot. Go to Home Depot and wander around trying to think what it is you are looking for. Fart out loud and you think someone called out your name. You went to school with the old lady who greeted you at the front door.

13. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Had to send that one to the buds at camp.

14. bogieb

bogieb

Heartworm can be a nasty bugger to get rid of. Several years ago (12-15), had a friend whose dog got them and it was touch and go as well as very expensive. Hope you caught the infestation early!

I've had a running battle with the multiflora roses, bittersweet, Poison Ivy and Japanese knotweed that come over from the swamp. Birds and critters help spread them to the other parts of my yard. Discovered bittersweet nightshade the other day and it has infiltrated the drainage ditch - another invasive. Actually has a very pretty flower though. This is a picture of a plant just over the property line next to the culvert. I later found the infiltration about 40-50' back from that area.

Bittersweet Nightshade far side of ditch.jpg

15. fishingpol

fishingpol

Just little bits of work here and there. I took advantage of the cool morning today. Also, my elbow tendonitis has pretty much resolved. As long as I don't try to lift something really heavy, I am good.

Holly had a clean bill of health from the vet in Texas, so we were surprised about the diagnosis. Our vet said it was in the very early stages and it should be a good treatment. I miss her energy, but it will he back when this resolves.

Good luck with the knotweed. It is so difficult to control and is relentless. It is driving native plants out and changing landscapes.

I have some very shallow bittersweet roots that I may drill some tiny holes into and put some roundup and see if the plant picks up the chemicals. I don't use many sprays or chemical treatments here, but the bittersweet is out of control. The wife said a few goats would be ok though.o_O

I believe the nightshade is in the tomato family. We had it at the last place. Toxic too.

16. Chud

Chud

I was excited about cutting logs today, but metal had another plan. First cut this morning I hit metal, or rock. The ends of the log didn’t have any staining. Newish Stihl chain got chewed up and I spent most of the day filing. Changed cutting location and was able to buck the log and the metal stain appeared. Decided to press my luck and cut the metal stained rounds in half. Chewed up another chain on a different saw. #%*k I was soaking wet by the time I filed all the damage out of the chains. A 91dl and 72dl chain lost 3/4 of their life today cutting one tree up. I still haven’t seen the dang piece of metal that wrecked my day. I’m going to try to find it tomorrow with the splitter.
    Happy Father’s Day to all the dads.

17. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Brooklyn, NL. Not to be confused with Brooklyn, NY. (And I don't think anyone ever would)

2021-06-19-20-15-10.jpg 2021-06-19-20-17-52.jpg 2021-06-19-20-16-57.jpg

18. Meche_03

Meche_03

It was 100 in town yesterday. So I waited till 7pm to start splitting my latest scrounge of firewood. While my boy and I are works n on the cool 89F air a stranger drove up the drive way. They saw the family wood pile and wanted to know if I sold firewood. I usually don't but he offered a very generous sum for 1/6 cord of firewood to be delivered to his house just 2 miles away. He wanted some campfire wood for backyard camping with his kids.

So my youngest helped me finish splitting and unloading wood this morning so we could deliver wood this evening. Cool 89f wood hauling. My son gave him a dozen farm eggs as a thanks for the business gift.

19. bogieb

bogieb

Great that the heartworm is in early stages!
    The bittersweet nightshade (Solanum dulcamara) is not the same as deadly nightshade (atropa belladonna), but it is still somewhat toxic if eaten. I don't plan on eating it, so there is that :D. The neighbor's cat (from across the street behind me) apparently doesn't eat them or the lily-of-the-valleys it walks thru all the time either.

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

X2