In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. tree killer

tree killer

That from top of moose mountain? That view looks familiar. Squaw maybe but I haven’t been up there for years.

2. Stinny

Stinny

x1000

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Is that why my back is on fire o_O

Be better in morning see my physical therapist she will put me back together.. as she said leave me something to work with:emb:

4. bogieb

bogieb

Well, while y'all are getting projects done, Mine is probably off the schedule. The price of the small garage that I was going to have built to replace the tent garage, has just gone up by $8,000. They had put off the build from April/May time frame to July because of a labor shortage (they lost a couple of people and couldn't find anyone willing to work). They contacted me yesterday and said the price was going up by 30 percent. I know that isn't unreasonable because of what is happening with lumber right now, but OUCH!

I'm going to mull it over for a couple of days. Part of me says just do it and figure it out later. Part of me says - nope, you'll regret not waiting until next year.

And then part of me says, at the least I gotta replace that poor metal shed that I'm shocked hasn't fallen down yet - which is true. That shed sits smack dab where the garage is supposed to be installed. Can't move the placement of the garage, but maybe I can get a fairly shed from a BBS and put it up somewhere else. Which brings its own headaches at finding a location I would be happy with AND wouldn't have to have someone come in and prepare the site

Stinny, fishingpol, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

6. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I woud wait until next year for sure. Not only are the lumber prices crazy, the labor rates are too. Most contractors are bidding jobs like they dont want them, because too many people will say yes for some reason.

fishingpol, bogieb, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  7. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Agree, if you can live without the garage for a year do it...But remember we have no idea if material costs will go down or up over the next year. So there you have it, I am no help as usual!!

8. Thor

Thor

:banana: We finally got some rain. Crops are in sad shape around here. Not to mention crunchy grass.

9. lukem

lukem

Last day of work...then get 9 off. Haven't had any time off in a good while so really looking forward to it.

Supposed to be stupid hot and humid here today...high 90's with heat index in the 110's. Looking out the window looks like it could storm any minute so who knows what is going to happen.

T.Jeff Veal, Stinny, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  10. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

If you have Amish in the area get a bid from them.

11. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I think you are going to see a sharp drop off in demand. Once the people that HAVE to have it done now cycle through, the people telling you to stuff that cost up your azz are still going to tell you no unless it becomes absolutely necessary. The contractors have a fish in a barrel mindset right now, but that cant last. MikeinMA got a quote of at least $10,000 for a modestly sized deck. Even at the inflated lumber prices its still gouging by the contractors.

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'd be inclined to wait too bogieb. Though prices may continue to increase too. PS, thanks for your input on the swamp cooler, it should arrive next week. And the cost of labor like he mentioned hopefully comes down too as more people get back to work.

13. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Contractors come in all shapes, sizes, intellects and moral fibers. Some are excellent craftsmen and excellent at business, others not so much.
    It's tuff to find the good ones.

14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

bogieb future prices for lumber in xxboard feet have gone from about 1700 at Christmas to less than 1,000 now further out next February are expected to be between 600-700..
    Just for reference normal before pandemic was 300-400. So for example a 2x4. Was $2. Went to over $10 and expecting to settle next year about $ 4-4.50

15. savemoney

savemoney

Have you sonsidered a building like Backwoods Savage has? It is metal. I think he now has two of them. He is in snow country and they have held up well.

16. savemoney

savemoney

My black lab has been limping and now non-wt bearing on her left hind leg. Took her to a orthopedic vet. I was thinking a tear to her ACL. Well, the vet did an x-ray and showed me a spot on her knee. He says it has deterioated. He feels strongly that it is cancer but doesn't want to biopsy her for fear of more causing more pain. He also took pictures of her hips and said they are small and very arthritic. He said he would amputate the leg but her hips might not support her. I honestly don't know why that is a reason if she is non wt bearing now. I am trying the pain meds for a couple weeks and see how she does, then I get back with him. I am sick about the whole thing. One thing is certain, I won't have her eutheninzed unless her pain is not manageable. Molly is eight. She is the third lab for me. All of them have had genetic issues.

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Not like able! Larry heart goes out to you..

18. savemoney

savemoney

Yes! Big Moose Mountain in Greenville. Elevation 3,173

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear Larry, sweet Mollie. I've had a couple geriatric dogs that successfully lived for a few more years with the use of pain killers for them. Somehow I still have a similar sick feeling about losing Blondie and Blackie last year.

20. mat60

mat60

Very sorry about this Larry.