In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Deal struck to legalize pot in New York

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Mar 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz

Chaz

One of the only things making NY different from Calif. is the weather.
    :confused::confused::confused:

We've had problems for years, legalizing MJ is one of the only things they got right in about 8 years.
    :smoke:

And yes, those that already smoke, unaffected, so I don't expect much to change.

Edit.. Of course the law is extremely representative of the political leanings of the state legislature, but everything has flaws here.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

My take on the transients squatting everywhere is it’s part of the opiate epidemic that sprang from the markets being flooded with prescription drugs over the past 15 years. I’ve seen it everywhere, especially in places where marijuana is NOT legal. People get hooked on prescription pain pills, eventually turn to heroin because it’s cheaper/more available, eventually the downward spiral lands them on the street. Hence why there’s tent cities popping up on public land across the country. I can’t go on a lot of the trails I used to ride my dirt bike on as a kid because now they’re full of dope fiends nodding off on the ground. Marijuana has been in our culture for a very long time and it wasn’t until the opiate crisis hit that we had an epidemic of homeless downtrodden addicts squatting everywhere.

3. Camber

Camber

Hard being a general contractor when you have to weed through the dopers. I don't really care as long as they are not using on the jobsite. The biggest downside is in my experience, dope has a tendency to make men say, dude, man, or bro. I don't allow that on the jobsite. It is either Sir, or Mam. If there is an accident and someone has THC in their blood, big trouble comes. Even if they are sub contractors. The subs insurance always comes after the big dog first. Use to be that the rough characters just used cocaine. It was gone after three days if I remember correctly.

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Is that the drug all those little diabetes needles are for? And also the one why fire fighters/paramedics go through NARCAN like candy?

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, Camber and 3 others like this.
  5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Generally yes. Although not all heroin addicts are IV users. Some prefer to snort it or smoke it.

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and wildwest like this.
  6. billb3

billb3

Unfortunately needles can be/are used to inject heroin, cocaine, meth, and other obtained prescription stimulants and opioids.
    An awful lot of heroin gets cut with fentanyl these days as it is "cheap" and gives the heroin a "extra kick" , quite possibly when it ha already been cut with other things . A user may not know what (s)he has is potentially lethal. Fentanyl can be dangerous to handle as it can be kick-azz strength potent. Direct injection usually is the most efficient way to use .

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and wildwest like this.
  7. woody5506

woody5506

About time NY did something worthwhile. My thought is prohibition usually just has adverse affects anyway, and everyone else's biggest fears around legalization are already the current realities under current prohibition. If they can't keep drugs out of the most secure places on earth, then it's absolutely arrogant and naive to think they'll make any impact on the street. We all know how well alcohol prohibition worked back in the day! Maybe it's a harsh reality but laws and regulations don't exactly prevent or get rid of demand, or markets. If people want something, they will find a way to get it.

8. Chud

Chud

I found a needle for the first time in my ditch. Usually have to pick out a few bud light stove pipes, before weedeating. The big can beer drinker must really dislike my stacks. Maybe the bud light isn’t enough to sooth their wood envy anymore and they took up heroin.

9. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Time to erect a passive aggressive sign out front with big bold font "THANKS FOR KEEPING IT GREEN" ;)
    I suppose I've been lucky where I'm at. The worst I find are nipper bottles. My last place I left when I started finding spikes washing into my yard from the neighbor's house after rain storms.

Chazsbetterhalf and Chud like this.
  10. Erik B

Erik B

I wonder how the DUI will be handled in states making weed legal. They are putting a lot of lives at risk.

Chazsbetterhalf and Camber like this.
  11. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Just like the signature move of a drunk driver is for them to swerve going down the road, people that smoke pot are relatively easy to spot too. Look for the people that drive really slow and sit idle at stop signs. When you see that, it means they're waiting for the stop sign to turn green :rofl: :lol:

12. Chud

Chud

They will start signaling a few miles too early.

13. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

they see you rollin,they hatin

14. Softwood

Softwood

Though I’m not a pot smoker (anymore :D), ‘The Man’ has many worse drugs legalized. 0EBBC99B-0B29-4B42-B1E1-1C4F64D01006.jpeg

15. billb3

billb3

Man do I detest hyperbole. CDC:
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 11.30.01 PM.png
    That's just poisoning from a toxic overdose, no other drugs mixed. Probably edibles as it's rather difficult to smoke oneself to death.
    Smoking weed is right behind alcohol in the #2 spot for influencing car fatalities.

16. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

A kid in my high school class sophomore year died of a supposed THC overdose. I never could figure that one out especially since he was into hard drugs as well. He was a Kennedy, so there’s that...
    Tobacco, Alcohol, Marijuana. All aren’t great for the human body to one degree or another. I think we can all more or less agree that driving while under the influence of alcohol or marijuana is irresponsible and stupid at best, homicidal at worst. If a court ever ordered you pay out of your own pocket to sit in and watch a Mothers Against Drunk Driving presentation you know what I mean. I smoked cigarettes and cigars for 10 years. Chewed tobacco for about 3 of those. Eventually I decided I had enough and took up the arduous process of quitting. To this day I have no strong ill feelings towards tobacco, I’m just glad I quit while there was still time to. I drank chronically around the clock from 19 to about my late 20s. Smoked pot daily, morning noon and night from 18 to 23. Quit for the most part minus a handful of times, one being when I was vacationing in Europe and took the train into Amsterdam. Scratched that one off the bucket list :) Looking back at all the trouble I got into when I was younger, the ruined relationships, the financial difficulties, wrecked cars, the rounds at the local hospital etc. were all due to alcohol. Marijuana dependency can cause plenty of grief too. It’s hard to function in society when you’re fogged up all the time. The memory starts going down the drainpipe, the monkey on your back starts sucking up all your time and money. It keeps you from doing the things you could be doing if only you weren’t constantly stoned and unmotivated. Like anything, moderation is key. And for those with the strange mental twist that prevents them from moderating, abstinence is key. Parents shouldn’t be completely baked out of their skulls around their kids any more than they should be blacked out drunk around them either. There’s a time and place for everything. Just as it’s no longer culturally acceptable to day drink at the office, the same rules should apply to pot. Legalize it, great. Break those taboo barriers surrounding it. But instill in the culture around it the importance of responsibility when partaking.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  17. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

They treat it like an alcohol DUI. I install and monitor blow-and-go's as a daily (in MD and PA). I get a few that make it know their dui wasn't for drinking.
    Have to be honest (non-toker here), I'd much rather ride with someone on pot that someone buzzed/drunk.

18. Camber

Camber

I get that argument. Good luck instilling responsibility into a any chemical addiction. That noble and commendable task will be impossible if one were to go off thousands of years of history. That culture is already so messed up. Shoot, even biological science is out the door here lately.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  19. Warner

Warner

Got a buddy that has no problem cracking a bud light at 8:30am but will call anybody that touches marijuana a druggie looser. Lol.

20. Ron T

Ron T

Glass house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.