In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. bogieb

bogieb

Guess who had to unblock the exhaust to their P43 to heat the house last night? With a high of 63*, heavy overcast (no rain) all day the house received no solar gain, and the evening temp inside the house being 69*, I figured I would need it. Sure enough, it ran a couple of times.

I did put the mini split on heat, just to check out that it worked, but I still have pellets at the bottom of the hopper so figured I would use them.

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Little loogie this morning, Slow start. But hope to get the manure tilled into the garden. Wife wants to get it planted and fenced by tomorrow. Much needed rain this morning. Glad I got the front yaad mowed yesterday. Well pump gets its check mark(done). Works as it should now. Nice constant water pressure. Phone died, But will snap a pic today.

3. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Both stoves got the full end of season cleaning and damprid treatment this morning. Outside air intakes are also closed.

4. gbreda

gbreda

Similar weather here except I just switched from shorts to sweats last night. Yesterday was downright chilly.

Back to shorts today

5. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

The old!
    20210612_120408.jpg

The new!

20210612_120444.jpg

20210612_120326.jpg

6. imacman

imacman

7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

Never did check for dates. I will before they head to the scrap heap.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. savemoney

savemoney

I don't mind telling you the cost. I have one head inside. it is heating and cooling 1000 sq ft. of a downstairs unit in a raised ranch. Mine is the Fujitsu. The cost was $4000. but we cost $2800 in stimulus money, $1000 rebate from Efficiency Maine and $100 discount for using cash. So I only have $100 out of pocket invested. My last three power bills have all been lower than they have been for the same months in the last three years. Not running pellet stove since the install of the mini split. I would have expected an uptick in some cost on the electric once I change over, but that hasen't been the case.

9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Tank date was 1984, Pump was likely a lil newer, But couldn't read the tag.

10. gbreda

gbreda

Shallow well? Never saw one that wasnt in a drilled well.

Looks so much easier than having to pull a pump 500 ft down :yes:

imacman, PelletHound, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Its considered a deep well. Only 100' though. Any deeper and I would need to use the in well pump.

Still need to pull up the lines and replace the foot valve. Price is about the same either way. Most prefer in well as you don't hear the pump run, We will hear this, Even though its much more quite than the old pump!!

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Rumble rumbles and caazap with a boom. No need to water the garden today! :D

Going to chillax today, At least the morning. Pooped!! :sleeping:

13. imacman

imacman

37 years.....previous owners got their $$$$-worth.

IHATEPROPANE, bogieb and jtakeman like this.
  14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

And left me with 37 years of rust! :picard:

Average replacement is closer to 10 years from what I'm told. Buts it all good now. Now to get the inground oil tank out, Hopefully it hasn't leaked. Then upgrade the electrical service. Also a 1984 upgrade. Then the bath revamp and I'm likely just about out of jingle! :emptywallet:

Septic tank in the spring, That aught to be fun too!

But its mine!:makeitrain"

15. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

B when I first read this quickly I was like hang on, she’s got mini splits and window AC units installed at the same time? Now this is someone who takes her cooling seriously! I had to re-read and figured out you literally just had the mini splits installed the day before posting and logically had not had a chance to remove the window AC units yet, right?
    :)

Congrats on getting the splits installed. We had the mitsu h2i units installed a few years ago. We liked them so much, we had additional capacity added later on. No doubt, this has been the single best upgrade/improvement done to the house. You are going to be so happy with them (as if you don’t already know). Just don’t make your pellet stoves feel lonely like an old Atari 2600 thrown in the closet. The mini-splits are so convenient and efficient, you will naturally find yourself using them more and more for heat as time goes on…

16. imacman

imacman

You better pray to your lucky stars it hasn't.....unless you plan on getting it out yourself somehow and finding a place that will take it. You have NO idea what happens if there's a leak. Don't ask me how I know. :mad::eek: :makeitrain":makeitrain":makeitrain":makeitrain"

17. imacman

imacman

Well, I don't have a pic of the old unit(s), but got the heating & a/c system replaced today. After 20 years of 11 SEER, it was time to replace the original Trane unit. It was still cooling & heating OK, but I KNOW one of them would have crapped-out on either the hottest or coldest day of the year.

17 SEER Amana 3 ton, 2 speed unit that's also WiFi controlled. Came with new Honeywell wifi touchscreen stat & new Co2 detector too.

:makeitrain":makeitrain":makeitrain"
    20210614_190151.jpg
    20210614_190216.jpg

18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Literally chitting bricks(epa-clean harbors= :hair:)

Might have to start a go fund me...........

19. bogieb

bogieb

Sorry I was confusing - you did arrive at what I was trying to convey. The portable A/C came out the evening that the mini spits went in (about 5 minutes after the techs walked out the door). It is so easy to deal with - open the window, remove the plate that held the exhaust tube in place (and is about 1 pound), remove the the foam insulation pieces, close the window, done. I removed the 6k BTU, 65 pound window unit the next morning before I started work - while it was still cool out. I placed that units on CL last Friday morning the portable's proud new owner was driving away with it 4:30 that afternoon. I think recouped what I paid when I bought it off CL 3 years ago (although I could be off by a little). I put the window unit on for $100 less than I paid for it (new), but is still waiting for a new owner to step forward.

The mini-split heating ability will be convenient for when I am traveling, but I don't think I will be using it too much during winter. However, I am getting older and that certainly is a consideration. For now, I like my pellets just fine for that job.

savemoney, gbreda, schoondog and 6 others like this.
  20. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

My bet is you’ll be using it more than you think…it’s so convenient and it will cost less to operate than your stoves. Unless, of course, you still have $100/ton pellets lying around. :D

savemoney, bogieb, gbreda and 5 others like this.