In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Plasma cut metal art

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by metalcuttr, Jun 26, 2018.

1. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Maybe something for the next GTG?

2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

You are way to generous brother....thank you for what you have already sent to the Gtg's, I Always hope to have my name drawn for one of your many donations!!

You are one of the special folks that make FHC what it is! Hopefully I will be at the next Gtg and have a chance at winning something you donate.

Thanks again metalcuttr!

3. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

A question for the collected wisdom of the members here. I have been using the past few weeks of firewood doldrums (too hot to do firewood), to clean out the shop and garage. I ran across two saw blades from the past when I was making knives and knife blanks and elk hunter belt hatchets. I cut the blanks out of the high carbon saw bodies which left a tree or skeleton remaining. The saws are about 40" dia. They are scrap to me but the Wif says that these are art and I should try selling them. I'm not totally onboard with this suggestion so my question is : Are they salable as art? And if so : What price range would be reasonable to ask? Thanks a bunch sawtree.jpg sawtree1.jpg sawtree.jpg sawtree1.jpg

brenndatomu, Softwood, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Those are cool and BIG.

Not sure exactly what I'd do with one or have a place to display it.

Sorry. Not much help here.

5. Meche_03

Meche_03

They would sell. Any backwoods cabin or vacation destination cafe in the back woods/lake would put them up. Shipping them would be a pain.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Those are cool looking. Maybe not to everyone but art is in the eye of the beholder. I like the hatchet one where they are oriented the same direction as the teeth.

Get a quote from the PO or Fedex etc on shipping cost and put em on bay. Maybe a FHC member(s) might buy them. IMO too nice to just scrap.

7. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have 4 more of these (uncut) and also a 48 incher that is REAL BIG. I am in total agreement about the shipping. It is a total pain which is why I would only bother selling local. The Wif says that if I scrap them, someone else will yard them out of the bin and sell them.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I know you weren't referring to me but i put my two cents in anyhow! :rofl: :lol:

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I was surprised when you posted!:p

10. bogieb

bogieb

You have a smart wife. At the very least, don't scrap them until you've at least tried to sell them. A neighbor the other day said the bigger the price, the more likely to be sold. She was talking about CL and FB, but I'll bet the same applies. Of course there is a line between high enough to get interest, and too high - and I would have no idea where that line it. Maybe take the price you sell smaller stuff for and at 15-20%. You can always entertain offers - but offers will not be forthcoming if you don't put the pieces out there.

11. Midwinter

Midwinter

I can see those hanging in an event barn, bar, or restaurant. They are interesting to look at and great rustic decorations. You are near a large city, and they have the local context of the logging industry, so I think someone will pay money for them. Maybe an antique store would take them on consignment.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

X2. Ive had some success selling on CL, but have never sold on FB.

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  13. fishingpol

fishingpol

Just my thoughts. I would take a square back board of shiplap fastened to some plywood a little bigger than the diameter of the skeleton.

Mount the skeleton to it. Make a rustic frame around it. E-mail pics to an axe throwing bar. It would make awesome wall decor. Let them pay shipping.:whistle:

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Drinking and axe throwing?! What could go wrong there?

15. fishingpol

fishingpol

Screenshot_20210725-123652_Chrome.jpg

Lol.

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

X2.

Chaz, metalcuttr and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  17. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I would be a buyer, one would look great hanging on the gable end of my barn!

18. bogieb

bogieb

I had my office window A/C on CL for 10 days without any interest. I put it on FB Marketplace on a Thursday night and it was out of my house Saturday evening (only because I wasn't home - otherwise would have been gone by noon). OTOH, I sold the Portable A/C from my living room in 24 hours on CL, so I never put it on FBM

19. Chaz

Chaz

I really like that hatchet one.. Very cool looking.
    :binoculars:
    :cool:

Yep.
    :thumbs:

20. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Well, I stuck them up for sale for better or worse. Would take a very specific customer so I won't hold my breath. I have seen some some smaller uncut circular saws for sale around here for unbelievable numbers so I priced these about the same even though they have the details. A friend of mine calls items like this "Accidental Art". Sounds like a good name.
    fishingpol , Turns out there are a few knife/axe/hatchet throwing venues at least in the Seattle area. Thanks for the interesting thought! It amazes me the angles that this group can come up with. Sometimes even buZZsaw BRAD. :D