In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A complaint from a neighbor

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sirchopsalot, Jun 13, 2021.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Sounds like he's an older retired guy with nothing better to do than try and cause trouble.

As was mentioned if you're worried about legalities look up the Zoning By-Law on your town website. Unless you're in a really urban area, I doubt there will be anything on storing firewood in the By-Law.

Its times like these I'm so glad I have 21 acres and my wood piles are hundreds of feet and out of sight from anyone's view.

Horkn, Screwloose, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  2. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Sorry to hear this Sirchopsalot nobody wants to be at odds with their neighbors because at the end of the day you have to see and live next to these people. I am always trying to keep a low profile, I am fortunate this property has little over 3/4 of acre and backs to the woods so I keep my stuff deeper back in the yard. But honestly that's not good enough, I want LAND I want nobody on top of me looking and complaining about anything I do.

Horkn, Screwloose, Chaz and 11 others like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Maybe WeldrDave will subdivide??? :whistle:

Horkn, Screwloose, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  4. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Its times like these that fuel my hatred of people.
    And the city.
    I used to say "big city" thru clenched teeth to reveal my dislike.

But, we've been assigned here for the moment. Perhaps its so I can learn and grow. But we are outgrowing this place.

Sca

Horkn, Screwloose, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I think your wood hoard is too! :whistle:

6. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

O hell yeah, I've already had my eye on his land.......I'll take that lot way in the back by the pond......:whistle:

Horkn, Screwloose, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  7. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Horkn, Screwloose, Chaz and 8 others like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Have you been up there? Mebbe you and him could raise pigs! :rofl: :lol:

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Not too bad of a state. Still some nice country here. Mostly Northern and Eastern parts of the state.

Midwinter, Horkn, Screwloose and 7 others like this.
  10. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

We were mostly on I95 but stopped off in Mystic to grab a few pies. I'd been there as a kid with my folks but don't recall much, nice little town. Was our 16yr anniversary and spent it up in Newport, RI.

LMAO.....................Yes I took a trip up there with him few years back to mark the property boundaries, mark a bunch of trees, met the well guy and laying a few things out for him. O and we had a beers or two as well :whistle::whistle:

Midwinter, Horkn, WeldrDave and 9 others like this.
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Friend of mine and his brother own a massage spa there. They live next town over where ive cut for them and worked on their house

12. mat60

mat60

Wife and I moved from a nice house in the city to a not so nice home with a barn and land because of the bull crap.. I dont think he will ever be happy with anything. I would not even listen or talk to him again. Move if you can some day or hope he does.

Midwinter, JimBear, Horkn and 9 others like this.
  13. golf66

golf66

Step 1: purchase multiple packs of turnip seeds
    Step 2: get a hand shovel
    Step 3: at a strange hour of the night, preferably when a big rainstorm is coming, go into his yard, make incisions with the shovel and throw turnip seeds in. Press down on incision to close it. Repeat until you're out of turnip seeds.
    Step 4. Wait a few weeks for turnips to go ballistic. It will be like Day of the Triffids.

wildwest, Midwinter, JimBear and 13 others like this.
  14. Chud

Chud

I have a neighbor who has a wood bench in his backyard. The bench is close to the fence and facing my backyard. It’s always struck me as kind of creepy, because my daughter rides her bike around back there and my wife walks the dogs around the backyard. The guy zip tied fish net to the fence, so one of my dogs couldn’t cross into his unmaintained wooded backyard.
    My wife thinks he’s a sweet lonely old man and I feel differently. Him and his wife were friggin jerks to us when we moved in for no reason. I believe in love thy neighbor, but they didn’t know us and were assholes about everything. His wife passed from lung cancer, but she would straight up cuss my wife and I when she was alive. Neither of us said anything untoward her. The neighbor has a full time m-f yardman that runs a mower, blower, pressure washer all week long, so he can’t have an issue with my Saturday Sunday firewood noise. His house is far enough away that smoke is not an issue. Ffs they had 2 peacocks when we moved in and they have several exotic birds in the house that make noise.
    Anyway I’m running out of room for firewood in the front and there is a long, level, sunny, open strip along the fence line in the backyard that would be perfect. :stacker:
    Neighbors, you gotta love em.

Midwinter, JimBear, Horkn and 10 others like this.
  15. woody5506

woody5506

If I were you I wouldn't do much beyond what's already been done. Sounds like your neighbor has already decided it's going to be something he'll remain mad at no matter what. And if the town gets involved? big deal. Most they will do is tell you you needed a permit for your new shed (regardless of it being on the property survey and its just a replacement) and then possibly come up with some arbitrary number of allowable cords of wood for your property. Nobody wants the town poking through their property though so I guess keep in mind it's easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar.

Regarding the permit for the shed though, I really don't get why towns get so bent out of shape for this kind of thing. I replaced an old tin shed last year on my property and wouldn't have been able to get a permit anyway (not that i tried) because COVID had everything shut down. Permits tend to only matter when you go to sell a house, in which case I'll take the shed with me if any potential buyer wants to cause a fuss over it.

Midwinter, Horkn, Screwloose and 7 others like this.
  16. Biddleman

Biddleman

Shove it would be mine.

My wife just texted me to say my son went to our mailbox and the neighbor across the road was yelling to get the F out of there, over and over. This neighbor's house is a dump, complete eye sore. His mailbox is next to ours (our property) and last year he tore up our flowers and hostas for no reason. Always yells at the woman he lives with. He's a POS in my eyes.
    I tried to love thy neighbor, and held my tongue, but Im over it. Sometimes trying to be the civil person only makes the Jack Assparagus feel more empowered.

Midwinter, Horkn, Screwloose and 9 others like this.
  17. Ron T

Ron T

Sirchopsalot , I would definitely put up some no trespassing signs in case it escalates. I would not want him on my property. He has shown you his true colors.

18. lukem

lukem

Don't do anything different than what you are doing today. Nothing is ever going to be good enough for that neighbor....you can't reason with the unreasonable.

You could have your back yard looking like Augusta National and they'd find something else to complain about.

Horkn, Screwloose, Chaz and 8 others like this.
  19. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Condolences.
    Sca

20. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

2 Daves in one space.....?
    Is NJ better than CT?
    Sca

Horkn, Screwloose, mat60 and 4 others like this.