In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A complaint from a neighbor

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sirchopsalot, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

The background.
    My stack of rounds is 7 cord in volume. At its closest, its 10 to 12 feet from my property line, and another 12 feet to the neighbor's house/porch etc.
    They have a 6" fence, ON the property line, but can see into our yard from the house or porch.
    I've kept things fairly neat...rounds stacked (not tossed all about), splits stacked and as neatly covered as possible, pallets stacked, yard pretty well mowed and weed wacked, other eyesores kept to a minimum, flower beds going in and ornamental plantings happening. We don't split at night, or early in the morning, but we are out there multiple times a week, mostly to empty the trailer of wood, and then leave. And even that during daylight hours.

I also ripped down an old tin shed, that was a real eyesore, and am now building a new shed of pallets and corrugated roofing. Its taller than the tin one, but same foot print, and the lot plan shows that shed. I was thinking of making the back wall that faces the neighbor look a bit nicer than exposed pallets.

The neighbor came out whilst building the shed today, and inquired not so nicely about the wood pile. He said there were ant mounds all over his yard, and the ants came from my wood. (Even tho there are no ant mounds anywhere on my side of his fence, but he didn't want to hear that).
    Then I was told that there were rats now. (Sure)
    And then there were gophers all over my wood piles, and in my yard. I saw one gopher, and didn't know they climbed the wood piles, 10 at a time.....
    Chipmunks, yes. Probably are a few of those.

Then asking what i do with it all, I just said burn it. He looked at me like I had three heads, and then told me i don't have a wood stove. (We burn clean and hot apparently!!!) I asked him where he thought the 5 foot tall hausholzen went (that was right in front of their window, and they must have seen three of us MOVE BY HAND, on foot, up to the house last fall). buZZsaw BRAD where the splitter was parked. I was told we had someone haul it off. And that we didn't burn a single cord last year.....(it was 4 and a half, but I didn't argue).

I think he is thinking we are cutting and selling. Truthfully, we donated a few trailer loads to a pastor we knew a couple years ago, and "sold" 4 cord to a friend in need (at a price that barely paid for gas). Till we have 3 years worth (i underestimated what I thought we'd use) none goes to someone else, except for dire circumstances.

None of their issues held water, I don't think. There must be something else, like that we're back there kinda regularly now, and that dings their privacy. (Shoulda built a taller fence I guess).

DW and I spent time tidying up in general, trying to see our yard as they do. I'm going to call the town and ask about any limits on cordwood stacking....volume or proximity. And about shed rebuilding. And then an exterminator to come out and see the layout, and give me a written document about ants, gophers, and chipmunks.
    We put out a couple buckets of water with sunflower seeds ...see if we can thin the chippy population a little.

I'm thinking of putting up trail cams just to make sure they don't come over and do something stupid.

Part of me wishes they'd been honest about the real issue. Not used to being accosted, I only answered their questions, and didn't try to explain too much. Had they stated the real issue, we might have worked something out....I'm not in the business of pizzin people off when it's easily avoidable.

On the other hand, unless there is a legal limit, I have no intention of slowing down hoarding. Ill probably not bring in heavy trucks fulla wood though. I might try to split the bulk of what we have before bringing too much more in. And I would consider building a fence....about 5' tall, of cordwood on a pallet base, all the way across our boundary...

We covet prayers: for them, and for us to say and do the right things. And for favor in case any lines have been crossed.

Sirchopsalot

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. Screwloose

Screwloose

Some people are just not happy about anything. Wood munching ants don't live in the ground especially when a commute from next door is involved. I say be polite and firm. Don't take any unjustified crap from him. Listen to him and ask for him to show you what he is experiencing.
    If he can't..... let him have it

3. mrchip_72

mrchip_72

I have great neighbors on both sides of me but each of them have less than ideal on their other sides. I listen to their stories of unreasonable arguments on a semi-regular basis.

I think all that you can do is make sure you're not breaking any local ordinance since outside of that, there's nothing they can do. A trail cam sounds like a good idea though n this situation.

Horkn, Chaz, Woodsnwoods and 13 others like this.
  4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Best of luck keeping the peace with your neighbor, and with trying to do the right thing with your town. I hope your municipality is willing to work with you rather than seeing you as another cog in the wheel of their redistribution machine.
    90B21B37-E117-4DA3-8F1B-5C3B7B0EA57E.jpeg

Midwinter, Horkn, Chaz and 15 others like this.
  5. Loon

Loon

Sounds like his wife went lesbian and he's pizzed.:coldone:

6. BuckeyeFootball

BuckeyeFootball

You should be able to lookup any township ordinances online. I wouldn't call and invite the man into your life.

monko, Hellcat, isaaccarlson and 29 others like this.
  7. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Point. I think ill just ask generically for the answer, then where I can find that in writing. So far, nothing online. (Edit: nothing online without hours of searching through a dozen different sides of the coin (wood, firewood, firewood or cordwood storage, trash, litter, blight).
    Sca

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Midwinter, Horkn, Chaz and 15 others like this.
  8. Loon

Loon

Jeez who the hell put this up? :picard: :cheers:

Horkn, Chaz, Woodsnwoods and 10 others like this.
  9. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

The Loon we all know and love! :thumbs:

Horkn, Chaz, Woodsnwoods and 10 others like this.
  10. fishingpol

fishingpol

Having an exterminator over may look like an admission of guilt. Make a good check for pests and make attempts to resolve that.

You are doing right by trying to see what they see. Part of me says go about your business. The other side says woodpiles can invite pests and they may spill into his yard. Chipmunk holes along foundations can lead to water getting down along them.

Explain to him that rising fuels costs and inflation has made it necessary to supplement wood heat. You are doing what is necessary for you and yours.

It is not good being under the microscope with neighbors. Someone can be one call away from inspectional services if bent the wrong way. I hope you can find a balance with them.

isaaccarlson, Horkn, Chaz and 12 others like this.
  11. Loon

Loon

Now is the time to start stacking out front.:coldone:

Horkn, Chaz, Woodsnwoods and 7 others like this.
  12. Ron T

Ron T

Pound salt would be my answer.

Redneckchevy, monko, Horkn and 17 others like this.
  13. rainking63

rainking63

I hate that there are people out there like this. Nothing better to do with their time than complain about things that don't involve them. I am very fortunate to have good neighbors on either side of me that support my wood hoarding addiction, and I hope it stays that way for the foreseeable future.
    In your case, as long as you're not breaking any town ordinances or doing anything that would harm people or property, then what you do on your property is your business. He doesn't get a say in the matter. Period.

Horkn, Eckie, Sandhillbilly and 11 others like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats always a tough call. I thought you had everything as neat as can be considering the size and location of the lot. Round storage was very neat. You just redid the front of the house very neat too.

Ants from wood dont live in the ground. The "gophers" are woodchucks/groundhogs which can live under anything. They are attracted to your garden, not the wood. They will burrow under almost anything. Chipmunks attracted to birdfeed as we have a bunch here from that.

Do your home work with the town. Be civil towards neighbor. He has to own it. Sounds like you are trying and willing to be fair to him

If all else fails, paint the side of your house that faces him the most obnoxious color!

blacktail, Midwinter, Horkn and 12 others like this.
  15. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Ya need to do what I did when I was in that situation Loon . Stop trying to live a double life with 2 personalities and 2 separate people sharing the same body. Embrace the chasm within your psyche and give your nighttime alter ego a name. Maybe you should remain Terry and he is Loon? Or vice versa? Just a thought :D
    BTW my alter ego’s name was Judd. He was the one who crashed my car almost every time he borrowed it, he was the social butterfly, the guy without a filter. He’s been napping for a while now but if I’m not careful he’ll spring back to life and get me in trouble once again.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Horkn, Eckie, Screwloose and 10 others like this.
  16. Loon

Loon

Thats deep.:drunk:

Horkn, Eckie, Screwloose and 10 others like this.
  17. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Thought about telling them off, but I'm sure I'm not beyond reproach, or that some uninvited inspector might find something wrong. I don't care much for microscopes.

Explaining didn't seem to get far, they didn't want to hear that there were no/few ant hills in my yard, that we indeed burned wood, were not selling it....they were not in listening mood, as indicated by constant interrupting. There really was something else going on that they just wouldn't say.

My thoughts behind the exterminator, wasn't to treat anything, but to look around, see what the chances of my wood bringing ants in, perhaps what to do about chipmunks. And to put that in writing. I also want it added that there is no evidence of gophers climbing the wood piles by the dozen.

But I'd rather find out what the real issue is. Everything mentioned seems to be a symptom....

Sca

Midwinter, Horkn, Screwloose and 9 others like this.
  18. Skier76

Skier76

Call a lawyer the specializes in property issues. Chances are, you'll get some good advice for no cost. If you need them to write a letter, then they start charging.

Midwinter, Horkn, Screwloose and 8 others like this.
  19. Loon

Loon

Buy one of these put on deck and blame it.:coffee:

[​IMG]

20. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Lmao. !

Horkn, Screwloose, Chaz and 4 others like this.