In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

No good deed goes unpunished.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by LordOfTheFlies, Jun 10, 2021.

1. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Well, I got a call from a neighbor who said he was throwing in the towel on splitting all the black locust he has. He had a few trees cut down on a huge hill behind his house and the entire situation is just awkward. The tree company that did the job not only is expensive, but they did a terrible job of cutting the rounds into manageable pieces since it was pre-agreed that they were going to leave the wood there.......so they didn't care if it was too big or too tall. Ridiculous attitude.

So I said let me make some calls and see if anyone wants some because I'm saving my room for the 35ft white oak that needs to be taken down after storm damage on my own property. Turns out my next door neighbor was keen so I got in my truck, rolled over there, and went on the hill and brought down the rounds....and then called another neighbor who took an SUV full.....and as I was loading up my truck the sky opened up and it was the last piece.........

And you know where this is going....it slipped about 2" and just kissed the molding on the rear glass and bam, spider cracked the rear window and that was all she wrote. Luckily it was literally 1 minute around the corner from my house so I rushed home, covered it with a tarp and towels and managed to duct tape the missing portion of the window while under an umbrella right through the down pour.

Dropped off the wood at my neighbor's today and he was happy.

Good thing I have full glass. Getting it replaced and it's covered 100% on Saturday.

Now I need to follow through on my original plan to weld my own headache rack. I need to practice my welding though.

2021-06-08 14.13.08.jpg 2021-06-08 14.13.10.jpg 2021-06-08 15.17.59.jpg

2. Chud

Chud

Smashing a back window is a right of passage in firewood life.

3. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Just like losing a fingernail and a toenail, am I right?? :salute:

4. Chud

Chud

I wear steel toes 24/7, but I have lost a few fingernails and pieces of fingers. :mad:

5. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Well, I think of it like, we play with bigger toys, sharp objects, and the like. Things are bound to get dinged: we'll wack metal or stone with a chain, throw a chain, ding something with the saw tip.
    Kudos for mitigating the risks, and keeping damage superficial. Stuff happens, and so far, being careful and intentional, I've managed not to get hurt.

Sca

6. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Dang, that sucks. But as always, it could have been worse. I just watched my Jeep getting hauled off on a flatbed, so I can empathize about vehicle woes today.

I haven't broken a window yet while hauling firewood (knock on wood), however I had a round roll down a steep incline a few years ago and bounce once it hit the road putting a nice dent in the driver's side door of a previous truck I owned.

7. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I also learned that lesson the hard way when I rushed out in sneakers because my favorite tree service guy showed up about 30 minutes early for a drop. And of course the first round that tumbled off landed right on my toe. So now I've also learned that metatarsal guards (to protect the top of the foot) is super key because the steel toes don't do anything for that part of the foot!

Safety first! And fun afterwards. I've always been accident prone so I have to try extra hard to minimize the risks.

You're lucky that a dent was all the damage that round did!!! YIKES!

8. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

The window's a bummer, but YOU GAVE AWAY BLACK LOCUST! I can find you a nice place here if you wanna come be my neighbor.:rofl: :lol: Good on ya for being a good neighbor & helping someone else out.:salute:

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I’m closer I will be a great neighbor

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I guess another name couldve been the "grab & smash" score! Glad it wasnt as bad as it couldve been and its covered. Would this be considered "collision"?:whistle:
    I have the "cage" on my ladder rack set up. If not for that idve probably broken my back window multiple times.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

FIFY! :D

12. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

If you have window coverage on your vehicle’s insurance, you can get the covered that way. I broke my back window doing firewood accidentally. Good luck with it either way.

13. mat60

mat60

Be a good time for a sliding window if that wasnt one all ready.

14. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Good point, then you pitch the round thru the open window & get a new windshield too.:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

15. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

The neighbor I gave it to is the guy that got me started chopping wood.....by giving ME black locust. So it's good karma. :D Paying it backwards in this particular case heh heh.

Too bad with the travel restrictions with all the pests and such...because it is absolutely ridiculous how many posts I see on FBMP (and locally) where people are just giving away really, really, really delicious wood. I feel guilty not taking it and bringing it to someone who can use it.

Time to fire up the welder! I do need practice...so now I have a real need to get on it!

Yes, I have full glass so they didn't even ask how I broke it.

Funny you should mention that. The Safelite guy showed up and brought with him....a non-sliding pane.....even though I specifically put in the comments that I wanted to make sure they brought the sliding one. He wouldn't even put the one he brought in, citing the fact that if it leaks they'd be on the hook for it. So now I have to bring the truck into their shop (close by) on Tuesday because it involves taking out the back seats to take out the glass evidently. Seems weird.

So he just ended up putting that adhesive film. I'll cover it with a tarp as well depending on the forecast.

2021-06-11 12.05.18.jpg

16. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Dude, I've done it too. I always threaten to get a headache rack. Never do.

17. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

This one is a bit pricey, but there are so many good racks out there!!!! Insurance or not, it’s messy and a pain. Deezee makes a nice rack that is all aluminum also!!! 129770C0-2571-42F8-A936-D210FD8C20B1.jpeg DE02DCF2-39CF-4F2E-AD7F-9C3F18DC3BD7.jpeg

18. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

The main reason I didn't buy one yet is because I just don't like how most of them look and/or function. I like a nice clean look, simple and functional....which is the plan when I finally get some welding practice in. Gotta work on those beads (using a $250 HarborFreight stick welder).

Nice that looks like solid protection (as opposed to the designs with those huge gaps between slats) and would have saved me a............headache for sure! :headbang:

I'm going to design mine to be flush with the top of the cab. I don't need rally lights and don't be carrying anything on top of the cab......and I want it to be able to use the factory bed rails. Perhaps I'll make it modular so that it can be shipped! We shall see. :dex: