In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

MS362 mods

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by MAF143, Mar 24, 2021.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

What if he grinds off half the teef on a full skip loop?

:emb:

2. MAF143

MAF143

The right ones or the left ones??? I'll have to give that a try...

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You can make a gasket (shim) out of thinner material, get the squish down closer to "minimum" (0.020"?) I know some guys will even use things like cut up beer cans...hey, with some good sealer on, it works!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Depends, soft or hardwood? :whistle:

5. huskihl

huskihl

Fewer cutters is faster, doncha know?

6. MAF143

MAF143

I used a piece of glass with wet/dry 320 grit to take a few thousands off and flatten the head and cylinder on my old beater Yamaha Blaster after I hemi-ed the head and ported it. It still is a multi-colored beater that I get laughed at riding it, till the old fat guy blows their doors off... LOL Harder to do these days with all the much faster newer stuff out there. Still fun though.

But that was many moons ago and I was a more patient young man with no money... I'm still young at heart with no money (wife sees to that), but much less patient these days... LOL

I'm not opposed to playing with an empty beer can, but I'm not sure where I could possibly find one of those... :emb::whistle::coldone:

7. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Meh, quit screwing around & just get it ported Monte, your wife will get over it eventually, probably, maybe? :D

8. MAF143

MAF143

Half the fun for me is playing with it myself. It will never be super sausaged, but I like tinkering and being able to say I did it... I would like to get one of huskihl 's warning labels that say "keep your duck beaters off my saw". My neighbor is always wanting to borrow it because he has a husky rancher with a specially french modified "Dulle Cheen" on it... LOL :picard: I can only blame myself for that. I sold him that saw...

I'm OK with the way my saw runs now, but I like to tinker with it. Maybe someday I'll spring for a "real" ported saw instead of my "wanna be"... I know where to go to get some pretty impressive saws and it's not very far.

9. huskihl

huskihl

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

10. MAF143

MAF143

I took the afternoon off work today and square filed all my chains. My 25" was already square so it was just a touch up. The 32" full skip was a conversion from round to square. The .375 chains are pretty easy at this point. The other two chains I worked on were brand new .325's for the 250 and they are a little touchier getting them converted over to square.

The wife asked me to finish getting that big Sugar Maple out of the area she wants to plant some pine trees in so I got on that this evening. I put the 32" bar on with the fresh square chain to test it out on the trunk of that tree. It was big enough to test out the 32" bar on the 362 after the mods have been done. It pretty much buried that bar with only a couple inches sticking out the other side. It didn't slow down hardly at all letting it self feed. I could slow it down some hogging in with the dawgs, but really had to pull hard with the dawgs in to get it to bog to where I needed to ease up. I'm sure for all day use in "big wood" it wouldn't cut it, but for me around here heating the house, playing with logs for the sawmill, and dropping trees for family and friends it fits the ticket well.

I was in some some 16" diameter Sugar Maple a couple days ago with the 18" full comp on it and it was tossing the chips just fine.

I'm well pleased with this saw at this point. It checks all the boxes I need for my larger saw. :D

11. MAF143

MAF143

It was pretty muggy out today, but I had some big stuff over in one of the processing areas that needed cut up. I got most of it cut to length, but some of it still needs some noodling before I can get it on the splitter... I know, I know, if I lived in MI I would be going vertical... But it's more fun to noodle for me...

Thought I would time some cuts today just to see where my 362C is running on these bigger rounds. It's no pole position race car, but it gets the firewood in the stacks...

12. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Looks like it's running well.

T.Jeff Veal and MAF143 like this.
  13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

What size bar are you running? Looks like it has some low end torque...

MAF143 likes this.
  14. MAF143

MAF143

That is a 32" in the videos. I don't use it often as I don't normally get into these larger trees. Most everything I cut is 20" and below. But on occasion I need the larger bar, mostly for noodling big slabs from both ends so I can get them into our smallish hobby saw mill.

It's a lot of fun in firewood stuff with the 18" bar with full comp chain on it.

15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

The biggest we've run on ours is the 28", did ok

MAF143 likes this.
  16. MAF143

MAF143

In your video, your saw is definitely screaming compared to mine. It sounds to have plenty more top end revs. Kevin knows how to make 'em sing.

I'm glad I did the oiler mod for sure to keep the bars lubed. I was just noodling some 60" long Maple logs this past week to get on the mill to make a few live edge slabs. I'm totally happy with this saw... for now... I'll probably keep fiddling with it a little at a time. I like to tinker with stuff.