In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Made the Switch....

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Nordic Splitter, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

A few months ago I posted about making the decision to get the Keystone Soapstone wood stove....Placed the order at the end of April with an expected delivery late June or early July...Found out this week that the delays on all orders are immense...The quarry in Quebec where the soapstone comes from is having a Covid outbreak to deal with. That with problems shipping materials across the border have now pushed the delay until mid-late August...Woodstock is just now getting to the orders placed in Dec of 2020!!!! Tried to contact the quarry in Quebec with no luck at all. Soooooo...............................Making the switch this week to the Hearthstone Castelton 1 TruHybrid...........Same cost....roughly 20% more soapstone per sq inch than the Keystone..Larger firebox and here is the clincher.....The model I want they have 8 in stock ready to ship from Ohio..When I place the order this coming week it will be in my garage in 72 hours!!! It will be installed last week end of June!!!! Pic below for all to see....

Attached Files:

Skier76, Rich L, Loon and 22 others like this.
  2. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

that looks like a nice rig!!!

3. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

That is a good lookin stove there! Hope it serves you well. Good deal on the instant delivery!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  4. Camber

Camber

Nice Stove! I didn't know they had 20% more soapstone. Good idea to get ahead now. Summer won't be here forever.

5. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

When you measure the stoves out side by side... The Castelton is slightly larger all the way around. Its has 3" more in depth...That couples for both sides..Larger soapstone panels. Plus the Keystone has a side load door were the Castelton does not...The door actually replaces the additional soapstone.....Really looking forward to getting it....:)

Attached Files:

6. Midwinter

Midwinter

Lucky to find a great stove in stock! You'll have the peace of mind knowing that it will be installed and ready to go when the cold weather comes.

7. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

That really was the thing that convinced me...No telling when I would have gotten the other one..Then if there were to be any problems with it...Then what????......I think under normal...No Covid conditions....I would have stuck with the Keystone...But not in these times...Glad to know that by the end of June it will be ready to go...

8. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Looks like a great stove. I looked hard at the Hearthstone before going with the IS. I am sure it will serve you well.

9. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Thats a beaut Clarke! Great looking stove. Eager to hear about it’s performance.

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Are these current model/design stoves...that qualify for the 26% tax credit? (if you care about that)
    How did you find a dealer with so many?
    Finding anybody with inventory of just about anything is a rare accomplishment these days...

11. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Yes it does qualify for the 26% tax credit.....This stove was my back up plan if anything went crazy..Did alot of research in Feb-April before I pulled the trigger...Just kept looking and looking...Fortunate to find them.

Attached Files:

12. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Just watched a few video's on its performance and they are all saying it holds its heat up to 30 hours after the fire is gone out...WOW!!!

13. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Plus if you notice the tops of the stoves....More soapstone coverage on the Castelton by far!

14. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Yep I like what Midwinter said. Hit the nail on the head.

15. Swanman

Swanman

I really like my Hearthstone Mansfield. I got it very lightly used 13 years ago. It came out of the basement of a house that was being moved. It looked like it had maybe been used 10 times. It has been a great stove. They really do hold heat well. It has been our primary heat source through a bunch of cold Montana winters. I would buy one new if I needed a stove right now. Congrats!

16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Please do not understand me as in no way would I try to run down your new stove. But one thing keeps striking me and that is the percentage of stone in one vs the other. I am also not up to date on the newer Hearthstone stoves. (We almost bought Hearthstone rather than Woodstock.) But the thing I know was always that Hearthstone uses only one layer of soapstone vs 2 layers in a Woodstock stove. So perhaps that 20% is not a selling point. But one thing I will say for sure is they have some beautiful stoves!

17. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Thanks Dennis...I know the Hearthsone Castelton total weight is 464lbs......of which 240 lbs is Soapstone...I don't know about the Keystone.....The Castelton comes with 1.25 inch soapstone panels..Pretty beefy for sure.......The main reason for the switch is the uncertaintity with all of the logistics behing Woodstock....With Hearthstone when I order it .....3 days later I got it!!!

18. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

UPDATE......................Woodstock was not too happy with me cancelling the order..Haha....I got the feeling its happening alot to them....The Castelton was ordered today, will ship tomorrow and I should have on Friday!!!!! Looking for it to be installed at the end of next week...Talk about peace of mind..Wow!

19. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

That stove is friggin beautiful!! Can’t wait to see pics of it installed and heating your home!

20. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Thanks...To make very long story short...In the living room we have a Jotul F600 and it a beast in every way...This new stove is my retirement stove going on the other end of the house near my study/den....Really looking forward to it.. :)