I really hate exponentially growing regulations and all, but seeing as we're under attack from all these invasive species that coincidentally originated from the same country, you think maybe now is the time to act? I don't think this is entirely a political issue either, one can only expect so much from politicians. I think a big part of the solution is to keep educating people to help control the spread and maybe the general public will have more of an awareness of the big picture here... From the past two days alone in my state: Scientists Issue Warning On New Bug Species Found In CT Blumenthal: Invasive weed 'choking' Connecticut River
Oh look, right along my property line. Big line of Hemlocks, and what are all these white furry things? I’m pretty sure they’re the Woolly Adelgid from you know where. This is relentless.
The hemlock wooly adelgid are back here, too. I treated a privacy row about 15 years ago and either the Bayer stuff worked or it was a coincidence that they were gone very shortly after. But alas, they have returned.
I read an article about lantern fly sniffing dogs, but I think the ship sailed a few hundred years ago on controlling invasive plants and insects. Imagine the cargo that arrives from china everyday just from Amazon sales. Every old growth Hemlock in the Joyce Kilmer forest was killed by adelgids. There are huge patches of dead hemlocks in the smokies. Some mountains look like they’ve been burned.
Yike....didnt know what that white stuff was Eric! Our hemlocks here were pretty poor looking when we arrived here. Some dead, most looked bad, and some wished they were dead. Took down 14 or 15. Saw that adelegid all over. Sca