Took Ms. buZZsaw to get more flowers tonight and noticed this blooming tulip poplar next to the farmhouse. From a distance i never would've guessed it to be one unless it was in bloom. Cant say i've ever seen one this branched out. Usually a very tall straight trunk. At least 24" DBH.
Looks like it was planted there out in the open and never had to compete for sunlight. Beauty tree for sure. I noticed they're in bloom right now in Bristol too. Sometimes it's tough to find one where you can actually see the blossoms, being so high in the canopy.
I’ve got a giant in my yard that I need to measure. I’m thinking it’s pushing 50”. I have not been there since 1990, but Mount Vernon had some monster poplars. That is a wide canopy for a Poplar. I’m surprised ice or snow hasn’t pruned it back.
Specimen tree, allowed to grow without competitive constraints. What they often look like in parks with planting plans and controlled landscaping.
I had never seen the blossoms on those trees, and had seen only a couple until the mid 90's. The are neat. My wife loved them too.
My BIL dropped a big ole poplar. I’ll probably start milling it this weekend. Cutting them makes you feel like you have a light saber for a chainsaw.
Years back from my mothers front yard you could see a grove of them in the woods on the other side of the large cornfield. I always remember mom saying the tulip trees. They were noticeably taller.
Rumor has it your chain saws cut like light sabers! It is some soft wood. Post some pics Jason. Id love to see it. TP has some pretty colored heartwood.
Yep! I will for sure. He bucked me 4 8’ sections. Sunday morning I’ll be making some noise. With the cost of lumber these days, I’ll try and get these to 2x4 dimensions.