In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dump trailer prices up 33%

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by sirbuildalot, Jun 3, 2021.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I was finally ready to lay down some cash for a tandem axle dumper, until the new prices slapped me in the face. I checked out several brands, and decided on a Sure-Trac SD deck over 6x10 10k gvw. I called 3 or 4 dealers and all of them had similar pricing of $7200-7500 before tax. A year-a year and a half ago they were in the mid to high 5k's.

Sure-Trac single axle dumpers are up about $1,500 since Covid started

Sure-Trac tandem axle dumpers are up about $2,000 since Covid started

The dealer told me its due to steel tariffs.

This sort of crap always happens to me. Finally ready to get a tractor, tier 4 only and more $$$

Finally ready to get a dump trailer, prices up 25-33%

WTF!!! He said they're still selling them like hotcakes. Quick as they get them, they sell them. Lots of people with little brains I guess. Like lumber. Where are people getting all this money from. Most of the sales are single axle 5x8's to homeowners he said. It's not like its a business and they'll get that money back.

What am I missing? Are people afraid the prices will go up even further? I just can't justify the purchase at these prices.

2. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

The government!

Just about everything has gone up in price and will continue to go up for the foreseeable future. Mix in recent cyber attacks on pipelined, meat, whatever else we haven't realized just yet and prices are going to continue to soar. I've halted all operations, I have an unfinished pole barn I wanted to put some sliding barn doors on and I had planned on framing and finishing the basement this year.

3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

It's easy to spend stimulus checks with reckless abandon. If you worked hard and saved 7k over a period of time I'd bet you'd hesitate to fork it over on an overpriced trailer. That being said, these higher prices everywhere are [insert the most over used new cultural saying in the last year and a half] the NEW NORMAL. Best bet is to buy used if you're looking to be sensible, although even used ones are fetching a premium. Bank on inflation and continued punches in the gut for the consumer. I've got nothing really, sorry.

Screwloose, moresnow, Ron T and 2 others like this.
  4. Biddleman

Biddleman

I feel your pain and frustration! I also must be missing something.

Wanted to build a garage, holding off on that.
    Was looking at trailers. Holding off on as well. A dealer close by usually has tons of them. Hardly any there and like you said much more $$$. I'll keep on the lookout for a used one.

Had someone come out give me idea on patio today. Was waiting for the ole "prices have really gone up" I didn't get that line but got, everyone is having work done and we can't find help. So best case is late fall.

5. Camber

Camber

A builder friend has just bought three to rent out. So far they are rented out for three months straight. One customer, Just paid 2250 a month for the next three months. He is renting them out for 75 bucks a day. The only downside is having to work on them as most folks tear em up. Big shortage and big demand means prices shoot up.
    I'm trying to get some log splitters to rent out by the day. Decent money to potentially be made at 200 a day.

6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

The guy renting that trailer for 3 months is an idiot...

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I've been seeing a lot of people with more money than brains lately. Typically, a fool and his money are soon parted. Quite the bizarro world we're living in right now.

8. Meche_03

Meche_03

Steel prices are part of it. Lots of guys buying dump trailers to rent out as dumpsters right now. It's the new hip side hustle to make cash money while Covid had people locked down collecting unemployment. Alot of people remodeling houses since existing houses are increasing in value due to record new home starts and high lumber prices.

I'm looking for a dump trailer too. I expect as this housing boom goes bust there will be used dump trailers flooding the market. $2k higher now than last year....used should be $3-4k cheaper than current new in a year or two.

It sucks but I don't need the trailer right now

9. huskihl

huskihl

There are a lot of people still making more on unemployment than they did when they were working. Sprinkling a little here, there, and everywhere. Usually, US 2 and 28 going across the UP are like 300 mile long ghost towns. In an hour of driving, you would maybe meet 10 to 15 cars and semis. Every weekend last summer was a steady line of traffic and nearly all were campers and four wheeler trailers

10. lukem

lukem

MY BIL put in an order for a new 24' 20K trailer in January. Lead time was April...fine. April turned into June...June turned into August.

He canceled the order and got his deposit refunded. Builder can't get materials or labor.

Screwloose, eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Used dump trailers (at least here in New England) are usually beat to snot and rusted through with holes showing, or priced like new.

You seldom ever see used, decent dump trailers for reasonable used prices. Maybe that will change.

12. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

A guy had a dinky 5x8 tilt trailer on CL this morning, he wanted 2k$ for it and was firm on the price! I bought a new 6x12 utility trailer last year for just over $2k last summer.

13. Warner

Warner

Sounds like it’s time for scrapping and build what you want.

14. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Yeah, the tilt trailers only angle a few degrees. Mainly to aid in loading. Most of the single axle 5x8-6.5x12 utility trailers are only rated to carry around 1700-2300 lbs. I can buy them used all the time for fair prices around here. The dumpers are another story.

Screwloose likes this.
  15. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

With the prices of steel, I doubt it would be any cheaper. It would be a lot more work though. I don't really have the time even if I wanted to.

Screwloose likes this.
  16. tree killer

tree killer

If you wait until I’m thinking around September October you might start getting a lot of deals on stuff. That is my opinion as well as many others I deal with everyday. This lack of inventory and the overselling is going to come to a screeching halt.

17. Meche_03

Meche_03

Building a trailer should be cheaper than buying one completed. The hours to weld and cut and assemble are free to me but have a cost value. For me axles are the biggest cost because I usually buy new. Getting a used axle and wheel set, then rebuilding the bearings, hubs, ... usually doesn't save me any money.

I usually look at used trailer prices and depending on the condition I base my worth to me estimate on what new axles, springs, and wheels would cost. If those parts were maintained or replaced recently then that sets the base value.

In MO, TN, AR used trailers usually aren't rusted out unless they were transplanted from the northern rust belt. IA and IL sources equipment can be questionable. IL covers from Chicago to basically KY so rust goes from horrible to surface only.

Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.
  18. Camber

Camber

Yes. It is almost as dumb as what the Forest Service will do during fire season. Fraud, Waste, and Abuse doesn't seem to matter anymore. People show up to build during our summer months, and it is spend spend spend. I have no idea where they get there money either. I'll take it however.

19. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I would too!

Screwloose and Camber like this.
  20. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
    Unless he’s renting it back out for $150 :rofl: :lol::thumbs: