In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

woodmizer vs alaskan mill

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Not_chip, May 10, 2021.

?

woodmizer vs alaskan mill

1. woodmizer

91.7%
  2. alaskan mill

8.3%
  1. Not_chip

Not_chip

we are looking at getting around 100 acres, and trying to decide, should we keep using our alaskan mill, with a bigger saw (Need to buy saw, and longer rails)
    or should we get a woodmizer?

if we get the bandsaw, it will be permanent mount on a concrete slab

with the alaskan mill, you still gotta transport your mill, tools, and slabs, vs with the bandsaw you need to move the whole tree to the mill (I honestly feel like that would be easier)

2. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Woodmizer all the way. Like a building, get as big as you can afford. Don't skimp, get the hydraulic lift.

3. Not_chip

Not_chip

thats what im thinking, it is a small pain to move a tree, but think about it this way, when its really big and heavy its super easy because your using a tractor to do all the work, when its only sorta big and heavy you use your back that probably already hurts

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

If you can afford a band it’s a no-brainer. They are sooo much quicker, remove less material, take less effort to cut slabs, the list keeps going. Only downside is buy-in.

Husky Man, fuelrod, M2theB and 8 others like this.
  5. lukem

lukem

The only advantage a chainsaw mill has is portability...you can take it places that you can't get equipment big enough to move the log and work a log down to moveable sized pieces.

Everything else, except the price tag, is better with a band mill.

6. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I have both and if you are planning on sawing a lot of lumber the bandsaw is the way to go if you have one or two logs to do for slabs that is one thing or something that is to big for the bandsaw and need to break the log into quarters or half the chainsaw mills are great but the lifespan of a chainsaw in milling duty is short. The other thing is if you are trying to get a lot of boards cut the bandsaw is definitely the way to go if you can swing it hydraulic log handling really saves your back but I am not saying the manual mills cannot do the job and do it well just a lot of manual turning of logs good luck in your decision everybody here on this site has a lot of info on both I just upgraded my mill to Lt40 super hydraulic the downside to it is a 14 month wait to get it good luck JB

7. Steve

Steve

Didn't know that.

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’ve milled a good deal w/ my 394 and the bottom end bearings remain tight. Everything else is in very good working condition. I’ve tore the saw down to inspect several times and maybe that helps expose any potential issues ahead of it happening. Only issue I’ve come across to date is the original coil gave up. And I’ve milled some wood that was a tank per cut. No doubt in my mind there is nothing harder on a chainsaw than millin.

Cold Trigger Finger and Steve like this.
  9. JimBear

JimBear

You are running full throttle for long cuts & it generates a lot of heat buildup in your saw. Your muffler is usually rather close to the log being milled so that exhaust also helps the saw to heat up.

Cold Trigger Finger and Steve like this.
  10. Not_chip

Not_chip

you got that right, before my dads 391 blew it has a slight amount of smoke coming out of the plastic covers lol

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  11. fuelrod

fuelrod

I understand that all the "big" makers are 12 months out for delivery. You might want to start now with your search (if you decide on a band mill) combing through the used market.:thumbs:
    My vote is for a band mill of some kind.

12. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Even a full manual band mill is so much faster than a single powerhead Alaskan mill.
    With 2 people, and 2 identical power heads. You can hike right down a cut. A pair of the biggest falling saw power heads like 3120 or 880 ect.
    But. It's still Lots more work and hands getting vibrated constantly.
    With a band mill, you push a button or (my mill ) turn a lever a little and off it goes. Even a full manual mill you gently push the mill.
    Easy Pie.
    But a stationary mill requires log handling capabilities.
    It you have the iron to log and load. There is no question.

billb3, Husky Man and stuckinthemuck like this.
  13. billb3

billb3

I know two people now that bought portable mills for which, during and/or shortly after the clearing of a lot for a house build, and then sold them when they were done. I procrastinated purchasing one of them. Both sold really quick. And not at much of a loss at all.

Maybe look at it from the angle of how many feet of cutting you plan to do with either/both. Life's kinda short to be pushing an alaskan mill too many miles.

Steve likes this.
  14. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Band saw if you can make it work.

I have the Alaskan and did some milling but recently got a band-saw mill and finally up and running.
    No comparison.

I haven't given up on Alaskan and actually have some logs in the cross hairs that I will have to cut down to even fit on my bandsaw. Plan to get them roughed out on site and then bring them home to finish milling .

Final answer = Bandsaw !
    and keep the Alaskan in your back pocket in case there is an occasion where you can not move a log to the bandsaw