In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The evils of Pine

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by BrowningBAR, Oct 27, 2013.

  1. BrowningBAR

    BrowningBAR

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    2,105
    Location:
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Figured I wood try some of the 6 cords of pine that I got on the cheap. The claim was that it has been cut and split on my supplier's property for quite some time. He's been a pretty honest guy and when he says the wood is dry, he has been surprisingly accurate.

    So, I put some in the Defiant Thursday night and it burned just fine. Got the stove up to temp quick and the cat engaged on the Defiant. But then, Friday I got nothing but a smoldering mess. Crack the door and the fire would take off. Close the doors and it would snuff the flame.

    Fought with it all day and into the night. Glass was opaque and black. It was ugly. Couldn't get the temps north of 450 with the doors closed.

    Threw some of the same pine in the 30 to see what would happen and the wood took off. Burned hot and nice. Added more wood later in the evening and that burned great, also.

    This morning I cleaned out the Defiant, pulled the pipe, cleaned the chimney again (just cleaned it last weekend), checked the cat, cleaned out the ash pan, and curse while I clean all the gunk off the glass. Nothing was jammed or clogged.

    I'm sitting there eating some pizza and just glaring at the damm stove. *FLAP-FLAP-FLAP*. I just can't figure out what the problem is. *FLAP-FLAP-FLAP*. I mean, the wood burns just fine in the 30 and there is nothing obviously wrong with the Defiant. *FLAP-FLAP-FLAP*. The pipe is clean and nothing is blocking the liner. *FLAP-FLAP-FLAP*. And where the hell is that flapping noise coming from?!

    Turns out the aluminum foil that I have set up behind the stove next to the primary air, that I use to cut the air further when the outside temps drop causing the stove to run too hot, got loose and was being sucked closed as the stove would breath in and out when it was not in use. When the stove was in use it would only suck air through the primary which would cause the aluminum foil to block the air... and that was causing the smolder burn for all day Friday.

    I blame the Pine...
     
    milleo, raybonz, savemoney and 5 others like this.
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Definitely the pine:mad: I suggest you never burn it again. Its evil stuff, EVIL i say! Lol
     
    clemsonfor and Pallet Pete like this.
  3. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Pine can do that;
    cause "operator error" LOL :)

    Glad you found the problem.
    & now you have a clean stove ;)
     
    Pallet Pete and papadave like this.
  4. StihlHead

    StihlHead

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    1,289
    Location:
    The wild west
    You are lucky that it did not grenade your stoves on you! :cool:
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. the GOAT

    the GOAT Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,399
    Likes Received:
    2,661
    Location:
    Maine
    Pine will cause chimney fires; dontcha know? :tree:
     
    clemsonfor and Pallet Pete like this.
  6. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Pine is from the devil! I will be more than happy to send you my address and you can load up all your pine and have it delivered to me, lol
     
    rottiman, clemsonfor and Pallet Pete like this.
  7. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Tens of thousands of $$$$$$$ on stove R&D by the manufacture all brought to its knees by a baked potatoe wrapper...............LOL. Don't pine over the problem, its all good.
     
    milleo, raybonz, Gark and 2 others like this.
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Great story, and well told.
    The Pine I burned this past month gunked up the glass a little too. All the popping shot sap onto the glass and burned.
    I'm now into the Poplar and Maple, and so far the glass is staying clean (after a good scrubbing by yours truly).
    Dang Pine.:thumbs:
     
    raybonz and Pallet Pete like this.
  9. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Funny nobody around here will sell pine because " we don't want to responsible for a house fire " ! I have told all the tree companies hey drop it here and they say nop it's a danger. Then I say do you burn wood " well no " then how would you know. And cue the crickets ......
     
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  10. StihlHead

    StihlHead

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    1,289
    Location:
    The wild west
    Tree butchers here generally do not know much about firewood. Pine is commonly burned here, and lodgepole pine is sold for a premium. I got a big load of seasoned black locust from an arborist that said to me, "I hope you have a good stove to burn this stuff with?" Yah... I did. Locust has about the same amount of misconception as pine, but for being impossible to burn, whereas pine will spontaneously grenade, cause creosote fires, cause overfiring, and burn dirty.

    Wide spectrum in pine though. White pine is light and low heat, lodgepole and pinion pines are dense and have good heat.
     
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  11. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Glad you discovered what was going on. I was getting ready to through all my Pine out! LOFL

    I burn white Pine mixed with my white Ash. It burns hot enough. Fast, but hot enough.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  12. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I've taken out a lot of spruce and pine around my house. It burns hot and fast.

    I offered some that was seasoned for about 1.5 years to my neighbor who was low on wood and he wouldn't take it, citing the 'it will cause a chimney fire' story. That coming from someone who burns green wood in a smoke dragon basement furnace.

    If it's wood and it's seasoned, I'll burn it.
     
    Pallet Pete and papadave like this.
  13. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Burned pretty much nothing but pine so far this shoulder season thanks to pallet company rejects.
     
    papadave and Pallet Pete like this.