In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Leaning Red Oak vs Gravity

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Chud, Apr 26, 2021.

  1. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,268
    Likes Received:
    54,162
    Location:
    NC
    and gravity always wins. Will take it to the house tomorrow.
    C9BC2710-DAF4-44DE-AB90-D8D2722B9460.jpeg

    Bonus pics of baby Pawpaw fruit
    D6A92268-8961-417E-ADE4-95308BAE098B.jpeg
    1A79F366-3B2E-4327-AC55-BFD3787440CD.jpeg
     
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,862
    Likes Received:
    114,905
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    N8ce find. I hope there's not too much rot in the trunk.
     
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,799
    Likes Received:
    215,288
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
  4. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,268
    Likes Received:
    54,162
    Location:
    NC
    Fell on it’s own. I have seen paw paw trees in the mountains that had to have been 80’ tall and straight as a pencil.
     
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,991
    Likes Received:
    312,257
    Location:
    Central MI
    Sweet! A good log there or some great firewood.

    We even have a town called Paw Paw in Michigan.
     
    amateur cutter, mat60 and Chud like this.
  6. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,268
    Likes Received:
    54,162
    Location:
    NC
    Easy splitting firewood.
    I met a guy who was using paw paw to make beer.
     
    amateur cutter and mat60 like this.
  7. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,268
    Likes Received:
    54,162
    Location:
    NC
    Here it is safe at home
    4B6E1AD1-A6AE-4BB0-997A-A8BF26ED59BF.jpeg
    C38D99AE-B0AA-4052-BA2B-9D8981F0F984.jpeg
    I will add it to my next privacy fence
    24685D3A-26F7-451D-949C-27DE22CA1A06.jpeg
     
  8. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,862
    Likes Received:
    114,905
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Yay!
     
    amateur cutter, mat60 and Chud like this.
  9. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,567
    Likes Received:
    67,913
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Nice grab. Your red oaks look vastly different from ours up north.
     
    amateur cutter and mat60 like this.
  10. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,268
    Likes Received:
    54,162
    Location:
    NC
    Lots of oaks are called red that are not, I’ll call it red when I’m unsure of species. This one could be a southern red.
     
    amateur cutter and mat60 like this.
  11. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,862
    Likes Received:
    114,905
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I thought there were only 2 types of oak- mine and someone else's.

    :cool:
     
    Chud likes this.
  12. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,268
    Likes Received:
    54,162
    Location:
    NC
    That works too :woodsign:
     
    MikeInMa likes this.