In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2021 Turkey Season

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by JWinIndiana, Apr 21, 2021.

1. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

This is my youngest daughter at 7;30 this morning. Using the new 410 that was purchased for their daughter Audrey to hunt turkeys with (who is in kindergarten). Indiana just opened up the option to shoot 410's and 28 gauge shotguns. Single shot 410's have come a long ways with threaded chokes and
    rails! Can't believe she is 32! We used to skip school on opening turkey day and alternated on who got to shoot first. Second year I got to shoot first, she woke me up upload_2021-4-21_9-57-54.gif (rolleyes upload_2021-4-21_9-57-54.gif ) I stick my gun out the window of the blind, pull trigger, nothing, click safety, pull trigger, nothing, pull gun inside, rack new shell in, gun out window, pull trigger, nothing, flip safety, pull trigger, nothing, pull gun inside, lay it on the ground, she hands me hers while laughing silently! Put gun out window, pull trigger, bam! Got my bird! We laughed so hard. Memories. She hunts with her hubby now, that is okay with me. Just wanted to share, knew you all would appreciate!

Enjoy life. Jon

upload_2021-4-21_9-57-54.gif upload_2021-4-21_9-57-54.gif 2021 Tom Turkey.jpg

Softwood, Biddleman, Eric VW and 13 others like this.
  2. Erik B

Erik B

I have heard they can be a little tough. How do you fix them?

3. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Hard to believe that she doesn't know that there is a turkey standing right behind her.:whistle:

Looks like good times and the memories are priceless.
    Yes sir time flies by for sure.

Softwood, Biddleman, Eric VW and 6 others like this.
  4. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

That is what I said to her in my text replying to her!!!! Actually, that is the decoy that her husband makes and it draws in the birds with that hen sitting and him strutting. According to the son in law, that is the "I am ready to be bred signal from the hen, tom is showing off and the real turkey will zoom in and try to steal a breeding!". She shot it at 5 yards!

Softwood, Eric VW, Eckie and 4 others like this.
  5. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

We heard that also. Has proven false for us. First of all, it is up to the hunter to care for the meat, so if it rides around on the hood of the car or bed of the truck in full sun, it won't be as good. If it is drug out instead of carried out, it affects the meat.

We skin and breast out the bird. We skin the legs and harvest them. Really nothing else left unless you want to freeze the head. Collect the beard and feet.

We have grilled the breasts, basted and bare. DELICIOUS!!! Have harvested large/older toms, all have been delicious. Have cooked/grilled them fresh, refrigerated for a couple days in sauce, after being frozen, have never had a bad wild turkey.

Biddleman, Eric VW, Eckie and 5 others like this.
  6. Eckie

Eckie

Awesome! Maybe she's shooting that tss shot, makes smaller gauges deadly.

Sous vide for turkey breast works great!

Ronaldo and Eric VW like this.
  7. Sourwood

Sourwood

A guy from Jay county hunts my Monroe farm each year. He and BIL killed tow today. Guys at the tree farm killed two as well.

I was at conference in Indianapolis opening day, watching snow falling. Worried that the front would hurt it. Apparently no.

Eckie likes this.
  8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Great share JWinIndiana :yes:
    Maybe I can prod ol’ Scottish 80 into showing a pic of the good sized gobbler he got the other day....

eatonpcat and Eckie like this.
  9. Scottish 80

Scottish 80

Congrats!! Picture won't load but I was lucky opening day in WV. 22 pounder with 11" beard. Big bird for around here

Biddleman, Eckie and Eric VW like this.
  10. Scottish 80

Scottish 80

Here they are
    20210419_073713.jpg 20210419_071112.jpg 20210419_071456.jpg 20210419_071619.jpg

Softwood, Biddleman, Eckie and 2 others like this.
  11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Eckie likes this.
  12. Biddleman

Biddleman

Very nice everyone. I have only gone along turkey hunting many, many moons ago when I was a kid. I wasn't even old enough to hunt. I think I may have to give it a major effort next year.

Eckie and Eric VW like this.