In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

“Classic” riding mower recommendations please

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by grandgourmand, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Horkn

Horkn

What size deck did your old mower have vs the new zero turn? What did you get? I've been looking at the ariens ikon XD. Although ariens thought it would be better to not mention what hydro units are in reach model like they used to put to 2020 at heart. I'm not stuck on any brand, but I want the ones that have the oil filters and are serviceable.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    eatonpcat likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^!!!

eatonpcat and Horkn like this.
  3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I think it would be foolish to buy a ZTR to save 8 minutes or maybe a little more!

FYI...If I tried to mow my yard at 7 mph, It would look like this but with a fat guy riding!!

https___specials-images.forbesimg.com_imageserve_1221141370_0x0.jpg

M2theB, brenndatomu, Ron T and 2 others like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Horkn I like you and you got a lot of knowledge NO way a garden tractor comes close to ztr
    You paid a guy = new area go slow and learn lot
    I had a cub cadet 22 HP cub cadet super garden tractor front and back PTO. Cub would move quick hydrostatic no gears. Ztr smokes it backwards

5. Horkn

Horkn

The ariens deck on these GT's isn't known to be the best lawn mower. The lawn looked better when the zero turn mowed. You can't beat the ariens as a snowblower or a for everything else they can do though.

My ariens GT is 37 yrs old. Not like I would ever get rid of it, but a ztr is a better lawn mower.

brenndatomu likes this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

No doubt. That's what the ztrs are made for

brenndatomu likes this.
  7. Ron T

Ron T

Both decks are equal at 50 inches. I got a toro 5000, commercial frame, commercial deck, 24 horse Kohler.i believe it was just under 3000 with a 3 year warranty. My old hydro tractor has a 24 horse Kohler as well. I'm impressed with these motors.

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

So on your case, the only x factor was the ztr vs tractor. That's great news! I'm not a huge fan of mowing.

Ron T and brenndatomu like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

37 YO is the key...somewhere between then and now the manufacture's have increased blade tip speed quite a bit...makes a big difference in cut quality, especially when ground speed is high...takes more power to pull it off though, another reason that riding mowers have larger HP engines now than back then...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Ron T and Horkn like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

That makes sense. I was wondering why 17 hp was a big deal back in the day, but now even box store machines have 20+ hp.

I look at mowing as a chore. I like it to look at good as it can, and get it done as quickly as possible. :)

brenndatomu likes this.
  11. Ron T

Ron T

I also mow around alot of trees.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think they got crazy with blade tip speed at one point...CSPC (or other...ANSI?) has mandated that it can be no more than 19,000 FPM (~215 MPH) now

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Horkn likes this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

Me too but there's a few less now with my ash removal Just an odd shaped lot and far from a big rectangular space to mow.

14. chris

chris

it is a chore to find a lower priced ztr with serviceable drives - like box store lawn tractors under 2 grand unserviceable hydrosat trannies - last about 100 hours on hilly terrain. In the case of ztr the hydro drive motors are the culprit.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Thats some funny chit right there. Lol

brenndatomu likes this.
  16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I was told it due to emissions

brenndatomu likes this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I guess I did good getting 350 hrs. out of mine before it popped then...

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My understanding is that this is due to several different things...
    1. The way they rate the HP now (there was a HUGE class action law suit on this...and why the small single cyl engines are only rated by displacement now)
    2. Blade speed is up
    3. Hydro drives suck up more power than the old manual trans...especially the ZTR's with 2 hydro's
    4. People just think they "need" more power now, so the MFGs make what sells.

Horkn likes this.
  19. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

So I'm still looking. Not in a rush or anything, but it's pretty amazing what people want for 20-30 year old machines. Like a thousand bucks (US$700).

I know it's a bad time to be shopping...but I can't really help on the timing.

Spoke to a dealer today about used machines...they aren't getting any in because people are selling privately. They even had someone come in with a trade-in, and another customer in the parking lot bought it right in the parking lot before trade-in could even happen.

As far as tractor mower, chore etc...I'm ok mowing the lawn, up to a point. But that's why I want something the kids can drive. This will be their job, not mine. I'll supervise, from the deck, with a cold beer or two.

20. Biddleman

Biddleman

Everyone has their own idea of what a "classic" is. I wish I had the wheel horse riding mower I used from mid 80s until late 90s. Have no idea what HP it was or model. All I know is I beat the heck out of that thing mowing our 1.5 acre meadow when I was a kid. From the ages of 10 -16 before I knew any better, I just abused it. (When dad wasn't looking) Than I learned to treat it better.
    But I can't remember it ever failing.