In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chainsaw dies when hot

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Donnie Chainsaw, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Donnie Chainsaw

Donnie Chainsaw

FIXED!!! - So just to catch up and then close out this issue here's what I did:

The first carb was shot. Gas was left in the saw for 2 years and I tried to clean it but it was filled with orange brown junk almost looked like rust. I figured there was no way to get the tiny ports through out the carb cleaned so I chucked it in the garbage.

See previous posts for all other things tried to this point.

Next I replaced the spark plug with a new one. - Still had the same issue
    Next I replaced the Air Filter. - Still had the same issue

Finally I just bought another new carburetor from another manufacturer. This carburetor actually looked better built at the H / L adjustments. Put it on and all worked well. I am now cutting logs without an issue. 1st new carburetor was garbage.

PS. when I say better built. The 1st carb I bought had plastic showing from the carb housing around the screw settings whereas the 2nd new carb the adjustment screw threads are milled into the metal housing of the carburetor. Metal threads to me means a better built carb then "plastic insert threads" for lack of a better term.

Thanks Everyone who attempted to help and I hope others find this thread useful!!

2. Haftacut

Haftacut

We all have our threshold for this kind of stuff. Don’t feel bad Locust Post, I get you:rofl: :lol:

3. Haftacut

Haftacut

I had to do the same thing with my sons four wheeler a few years back. Didn’t make sense so I had to buy another new carb and voila! Glad you got it fixed! I sure you feel good about that:yes:

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Saved from the ravine!!

Nicely done.

M2theB and brenndatomu like this.
  5. M2theB

M2theB

FWIW, I just put new a Farmtec in a saw and I couldn’t get it to even start. After a few iterations I tore it down and gave it a good clean. When I tore it down, I notice both the L and H needles were the same. Usually they have slight differences.
    I built the saw and set the L 2+ turns off the seat.
    Started in 3 pulls. Had to retune the idle and the L...and the H.
    Works great. Just don’t follow oem instructions for needle position.

6. Locust Post

Locust Post

Good to hear you got it going. I'm sure most know I was having some fun with tossing in the ravine.

brenndatomu, M2theB and MikeInMa like this.
  7. Rothk

Rothk

Tried to run my weed wacker and rototiller for the first time of the season yesterday and the same thing was happening to both.

Got new carbs on the way for both of them thanks to this thread!

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Ethanol fuel related problems , maybe?

Some of the passage ways in those small carbs are tiny and ethanol and aluminum don't play nice together. A little corrosion in there can clog up those small holes like it is cement.
    Going to need to use string trimmer for first cutting coming up soon , I do run non ethanol fuel but even with that it could still be a crap-shoot.

Rothk and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I always run (and have for the past.. 11yrs) pump gas, 87 w/ eth. The premix oil I use has stabilizers in it that keep the fuel good for I think it says 8 months. I’ve yet to have an issue, knocking on wood as I type that. BUT I agree w/ you. It’s a crap shoot as I personally believe there are many variables that go into it. If your ope is stored in a shed that goes through extreme temp changes, the potential increases, as does stuff that’s left outside to extreme humidity and temp swings. Vented gas cans allow that ethanol mixed fuel to suck up moisture as does the equipment it’s sitting in. My saws are kept in my basement which stays very consistent in temp and we run a dehumidifier during seasons without the wood furnace running. My fuel is kept there too. All these things add up IMO.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021