In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

It's a Hanger!

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Grizzly Adam, Jul 28, 2014.

  1. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Installed some sawbuck hooks on the side of the garage today and finally got it up and out of the way.

    image.jpg
     
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Keeping things tidy......
     
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Had to move it whenever I mowed.a
     
  4. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    It actually looks pretty nice there
     
    tuneighty likes this.
  5. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Looks great. Mine isn't portable.Close to 100 pounds empty,it stays in 1 spot....;)
     
    raybonz likes this.
  6. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Yours looks well used. You find that design stable enough? Can't decide if I want to go with the fold up version, or go hog wild with the joinery and use half lap joints to connect the legs.

    I gotta take a break from splitting and stacking for a few days. I c/s/s nearly a full cord of ash this weekend, and my right shoulder and elbow are feeling it.

    Seems like a good time to head inside the workshop and build a labor saving device. I gotta finish tuning up the radial arm anyway - had the table off of it to get it through a doorway when I rearranged the workshop a few weeks ago.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  7. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Really stable, but I want to put a brace at the bottom to keep it from opening too far.
     
    Stinny, Shawn Curry and raybonz like this.
  8. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Well the half laps would ideal to prevent that sort of racking, but it would also prevent you from folding it closed.

    I think if the connecting "aprons" were set at the right location, they could function as a positive stop, only letting it open a certain amount. I also like the design with the offset center legs, for shorter pieces.
     
    GRIZ likes this.
  9. prell 73

    prell 73

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2014
    Messages:
    1,961
    Likes Received:
    3,725
    Location:
    ia
    Looks good .
     
    Grizzly Adam likes this.
  10. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice. Up and out of the way. The average (non hoarder) person guy would look at that and say. "Why did he hang those 2x4s on the side of the garage for?":rofl: :lol:
     
    thistle, Grizzly Adam and Shawn Curry like this.