In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Small tractor discussion

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Easy Livin' 3000, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Among current pleasures is a newly developed creek in my cellar when it rains.

I need to do a major drainage project around my house. I've decided on a french drain type of thing, digging trenches around three sides of the house, probably 2'-3' deep, about 2' wide, then lining with geotextile, then drainage tile, and backfilling with crushed stone.

This will be about 70' of trench around the house, and another 70' to move the water away through nonperforated pipe.

Figure I'd need to rent a mini backhoe (small tractor with bucket and scoop), for at least 3 days, at about $400 a day.

So this is probably the excuse I've been looking for, for 20 years, to buy a tractor.

My specs are, compact enough to get around the house to dig the trench, pulling a 4x8 trailer for wood, dirt, mulch etc. I only have about 5 acres.

Deere stuff is too expensive for the likes of me. Plus I don't like the way they are preventing farmers from doing thier own repairs, in a cash grab.

So, I'm probably going for an import. I've heard of mahindra and yanmar. I'm open to suggestions, keeping in mind that I'm hoping for decent quality at a low price. Also looking for input on sizing.

Appreciate it.

Horkn, mat60, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  2. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Mrs PMM bought a New Holland/Ford 1430 about 25 years ago. It's still going strong. I have replaced the starter, battery and front tires because they rotted out. It's a 3 cylinder diesel and still starts in the coldest weather.
    That series had a backhoe attachment available. Our friend has a 1530 with the hoe attachment. Works great.

Horkn, mat60 and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Lots of Kubota lovers around here...

Horkn, mat60 and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I just bought Massey Ferguson sub compact and waiting for delivery , I didn't get the backhoe with it but it was an option. I just went with a loader on the front.
    Sure it is not a Kubota but that was more than I wanted to spend , much like a John Deere.
    Kind of like comparing a Scag zero turn to something else.

If I was going to use it on a daily basis I might have done different but for personal use it will be just fine for my needs.

mat60, Chvymn99 and PA Mountain Man like this.
  5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

mat60 likes this.
  6. fox9988

fox9988

Yanmar built all JD tractors under 35? HP for decades. I’ve owned and abused one for 20 years. It’s tough. 4x4 is a must in my opinion, especially with a loader on it.

PA Mountain Man, Chvymn99 and mat60 like this.
  7. mat60

mat60

Have Kobota B7610.. Been great.

PA Mountain Man and Chvymn99 like this.
  8. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

What is your budget? Figure that out and go from there. There are a ton of tractor videos on YouTube, Tractor Mike has some really good ones. For your acreage, I think a subcompact tractor would be the best size. Try to get a quick attach bucket for the front. This allows you to have many attachments on the front, bucket, snowplow, etc. 4 wheel drive is a great option and most subcompacts have that. You may want a third hydraulic valve depending on what attachments you want to run. What king of soil do you have? I have clay with giant rocks! When they built my pole barn they rented an excavator to get the big rocks out. If I were to get a backhoe I would want a thumb on it. A thumb might help get the big rocks out and they are great for holding trees you are cutting.

Do your research so you can enjoy your tractor. Have fun finding your perfect tractor! Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  9. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

More ways for us to spend your money.
    My buddy has one of these for his small farm and uses it on jobsites.
    40 attachments available
    Toolcat 5600 - Bobcat Company
    He likes the diesel power and heated cab

Chvymn99, brenndatomu and Jack Straw like this.
  10. Stinny

Stinny

"4 wheel drive is a great option and most subcompacts have that"... ayuh... :yes:

11. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

It would be a whole lot cheaper to cut some slots in the floor of the cellar and let the water through. And I still might do that. But don't mention this to the better half, I plan to spend a couple days hand digging to demonstrate the need for the tractor.

The soil is clay with lots of small rocks. I haven't encountered a boulder yet.

Four wheel drive is a must, as the entire lot has a lot of slope.

Subcompact is probably right, but I would want enough hp to pull the 4x8 trailer full of wood or dirt, and push a snowplow up the steep driveway.

Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

13. JackHammer

JackHammer

It sounds like you are set on a tractor but I bet you could do the lions share of the work with a good tiller. 3-4 passes will bring you a foot down. Clear out the dirt then do it again. I am not sure how you would clean out the dirt though. A gas powered auger might get you there. A tractor would be much more fun.

I have a cub cadet mower with a blade on the front, and chains for the tires. It is not much but I run it hard and it keeps up just fine.

Jack Straw likes this.
  14. Warner

Warner

Not sure where Easy Livin' 3000 is but no way you could do that in New Hampshire. Rocks grow like potatoes here and get as big as Volkswagens.

15. JackHammer

JackHammer

You don't like a good challenge?

brenndatomu likes this.
  16. Warner

Warner

I do, I have started to dig up rocks that are sticking up in the yard only to have to dig the hole bigger and push them in.

17. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

18. Redfin

Redfin

If you plan on digging right against foundation a zero clearance excavator is your only option.

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

20. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Do you know the source of the water? Where do your dounspouts go?

brenndatomu likes this.