In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fellow wood hoarders, how many of you..........

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by JRHAWK9, Mar 15, 2021.

1. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

All mine is stacked in the woods. Don't have any choice. There is obviously an open spot where the wood is with a handful of large oaks among the wood. Once the trees leaf out there isn't much sun/wind which gets to them. That's why it's important for everything to be top covered and not lean too much over time. They are also on a slight incline, which is fine as long as the rows run longitudinally with the slope of the land. All of what I will be burning the next two winters (and what Joe P bought) was stacked mostly laterally to the incline. This caused some of the rows to lean downhill and pallets to non-uniformly sink into the ground. Here on out my rows will be aligned differently in that area.

Rosco, Horkn, Biddleman and 2 others like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

You need a shed. My shed that will hold 15 cords is only on an 8x30' foot print

3. CHeath

CHeath

I have 3 cords lol. I burn about 1 per year. #slacker

4. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

God bless whoever has that amount, I could only wish to have that amount and the room to store it. I was close to 9 cords before this winter but burned a good 3. I need to get back into gear or make up my mind to get these giant oaks taken down by the pro's.

5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I'm sitting on around 10 cords right now, and might get up to 13-14 before fall, but beyond that it's a realm where I really don't need to be. My whole premise of wood heat is to simply reduce the amount of heating oil I use every winter. If I lived further north, or if wood was my only heat source, then my priorities would change. -Massive respect to the hoarders who have to fight back the cold every year with 10 cords per season, or those that maintain 50+ for whatever reason. -

6. jrider

jrider

That’s an impression amount of wood as a non seller. How do you have it all stored so it lasts through the years till you’ll burn it? Have you thought about selling some at all?

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

X2

Horkn and Midwinter like this.
  8. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

This is from last year spring after I got done splitting/stacking the winter's haul. The 5 cord circled in purple is what Joe P bought (4 rows on the end). That area was all stacked in the Spring of '15.......16+ cords worth. It was one winters haul. I came across a large storm damage area with two monster twin oaks splitting at the base and wiping out everything in their way on their way to the ground. The basically fell 180° from each other. The area circled in red is what I'll be adding this spring. I have another 3-4 cords to go and I'll be done.

The past handful of years I've been stacking on double pallets to keep the wood higher off the ground. It also seems to help stabilize the wood more and keep it from leaning. It's all top covered with rubber roofing take-offs.

As far as it lasting...it's obviously in the back of my mind and I'm keeping an eye on things. I am not opposed to selling some, obviously, as I sold some already but as of right now the wood has been terrific. I know it's not 10-12 years old yet, but at 6-7 years so far it's been great. It's mostly all red/white oak. If I do sell some, it will truly be seasoned....so I would have wood most others selling would not have, so those who are looking for truly seasoned wood would be in luck.

It's not like I have been going out of my way to find it, I just like cutting and it's exercise in the winter for me. Every winter I just clean up storm damaged trees and some standing dead stuff I find along some ATV paths I have through the woods. Every year when I'm done cutting in February I think the next winter will be a slow one seeing I cleaned up what I saw. Then the following fall rolls around and there's more. The way I see it I'd rather clean it up vs letting it rot in the woods. :D

upload_2021-3-17_7-51-55.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  9. woody5506

woody5506

Nice to see another Rochester wood hoarder here. I keep about 35-40 facecords (my 3 year plan) on my lot in Penfield and luckily haven't had any neighbor complaints but I'm in a more old school neighborhood where everyone is laid back mostly. The yuppie neighborhood directly behind us though is what worries me, as they do tend to call the fire dept here and there if the wind is blowing their direction while we have bonfires. I've gotten to the point where I could care less if they call, the fire dept never cares anyway.

Slocum, Buck55, Sandhillbilly and 2 others like this.
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Your storage area reminds me of mine. Most is stacked in the woods or shade. Nicely done!
    Pick up a select few regular customers and give them good wood and they'll be regulars for life. I did that several years ago and now most of the wood i harvest is sold.A few extra bucks in your pocket doing something you enjoy...plus you'll get more :saw: time with that nice assortment of saws!

Slocum, Sandhillbilly, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  11. Stinny

Stinny

I've only got about 4 cord left now that we've been burning very little each winter. When you mentioned "winter outfitted" JRHAWK9 ... do you mean tracks?

Horkn and Midwinter like this.
  12. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

no, just setup with front/rear storage for my equipment vs setup for summer play....

2017-12-02 10.42.11.jpg

I carry all this and then some, as I added to it since this was taken a few years back:

DSC00784a.jpg

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive seen tree services with less stuff on their big trucks. Nice to have on hand though when you need it.

14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I can only wish to have that much.. I do have room to store others extra;)

about 12 cord CSS now another 2 cord log length that just became visible after snow melt.

another 4 cord I can see now to be felled.

Slocum, Stinny, Sandhillbilly and 3 others like this.
  15. mikeward

mikeward

Have not calculated my stacks in a few years so I went out and did it this morning.
    Total comes to 56 cords split and stacked
    30 cord is 1 year seasoned
    26 cord is 3 - 6 years seasoned
    No 2 year seasoned cause I didn't split that year. I was moving stacks and rebuilding metal roofs
    Last pic is rounds I am splitting this year
    Just got a ruggedmade push thru splitter for this year. Still not assembled yet.

Attached Files:

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

mikeward that does not look like Long Island I remember.... much prettier.

Slocum, Horkn and Midwinter like this.
  17. mikeward

mikeward

The pics were from the early fall. It's pretty cool and gray today.
    I did go out and measure stacks today and use the firewood calculation on FHC site.

18. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

Just create an Excel spreadsheet, makes it easier to keep track of moving forward. :thumbs:

Horkn and mikeward like this.
  19. mikeward

mikeward

The good thing about being this far ahead is you really don't need to keep track. I'm at least 5 years ahead.
    You did make me curious though.

Sandhillbilly, Horkn, JRHAWK9 and 3 others like this.
  20. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

very true, but I want to know if I'm falling behind of being that far ahead. :nerd: :D

Horkn likes this.