In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dump treasure...what's your best find?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by DaveGunter, Jul 27, 2014.

  1. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    There are at least three local guys who hang around the dump pretty much all day on Saturday, just waiting to see what shows up, not that there is anything wrong with that but I got better things to do with my time. Yesterday I got lucky and this little cutie just happened to be sitting there while I was making my weekly deposit.
    image.jpg
     
    splitoak, Woodwidow, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Maybe the PO didn't know how to turn it on.:D
     
    Chvymn99, HoneyFuzz and Jack Straw like this.
  3. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    I found this curbside last summer. I think someone was cleaning out their parents house. It happened to be my birthday so it was a pretty good present. A Fisher stereo receiver that is about as old as me and still sought after. It just needed a couple capacitors and resistors changed along with a dusting and now I'm using it.

    400-2.jpg

    400-1.jpg

    400-3.jpg
     
  4. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    It was full to the brim of half burnt briquettes.:rolleyes:
     
    Jack Straw and papadave like this.
  5. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    A few years ago I took a truckload of stuff to the township spring cleanup day. I came home with a load of maple that was dumped in the brush pile. :D

    I've grabbed walk behind lawn mowers, weed eaters, etc on the side of the road a few times. Those are hard to find now that the price of scrap metal is higher. I ran one mower a couple seasons for mowing my ditch before I hit a rock and busted the connecting rod.

    My best find was a set of glass/brass fireplace doors. I replaced the old set in my basement fireplace.
     
    Jack Straw likes this.
  6. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I'm hardly the "swap shop" kind of guy. I would be the one that brought something in that may be worth something to someone else before scrapping it. In construction you see so many construction related items from demo that go in the dumpster and even some left over materials that cannot be returned. In years past I would say to myself, save them, we can find a use for it someday. Then your backyard and garage look like the dump. A majority goes into the dumpster now.
     
  7. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire
    That's one of my pet peeves. It seems like more often than not when I'm trying to pull up to the dumpster to get rid of my trash there's someone from town with their car sitting there blocking it and they're gabbing away with one of the guys that works ta the dump and even though they seem me waiting they keep talking. It's just rude.
     
  8. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Most everything i keep is something someone threw out... Or wants to :)
     
    splitoak, DaveGunter and Chvymn99 like this.