In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Green Lantern Tree (I think)- Good firewood?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Mambwe, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Mambwe

Mambwe

I'm having a tree taken down and I asked them to leave me the wood. They're telling me it is not good firewood and I shouldn't keep it. I'm new to burning wood and don't even have my stove yet, so I'm not sure what to believe. Are they trying to charge me more to take it away?

The tree has three sided pods on it.

[​IMG]

2. BuckeyeFootball

BuckeyeFootball

No clue but theres only one way to find out. If its in your yard Id say its worth it. Only wood I wouldn't touch is Willow.

3. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

I really like the Green Lantern trees as yard trees. I've got three. Very attractive. As far as firewood?

4. Mambwe

Mambwe

It's half dead otherwise it would stay. Figured I might as well keep it for firewood. Guy told me it was junk as firewood.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Welcome to the FHC Mambwe :handshake: Nice to have you here.

First time ive ever heard of that tree on here. If its cut split stacked and dried for at least a year it should be ready to go. Old saying on here "it burns better than snowballs"

6. Jon_E

Jon_E

Golden Rain Tree. Invasive species, introduced to the US in the late 1700's. Not sure about the use as firewood. I've never seen one in the wild.

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I'd bet he doesn't even burn wood. It always seems those who don't burn wood think they know best but all they know is what they have heard or read.

Just do as you wish. Even if it is not the best firewood, you can still burn it.

8. dougand3

dougand3

If you don't have ANY wood...heck yeah, keep and dry it. When I first started burning, I'd keep a big privet bush or crepe myrtle...anything 2" diameter or bigger.

9. Chud

Chud

X2 on it being golden raintree aka Chinese lantern tree

10. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Heck I even burn large Honeysuckle.

11. Jon_E

Jon_E

Honeysuckle is great firewood. If the pieces are big enough they go on the stacks. Also have put buckthorn and wild grapevines in my wood pile.

12. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

Welcome!

I would keep it, it may not be a high btu wood but cut and split it still burns! I have burned buckthorn and brush. Wood burns better then snow balls!

amateur cutter likes this.
  13. RIburn

RIburn

Company probably wants to keep it to sell off to others. It's wood. On your property. Keep it. Could go in the stove, fireplace, fire pit...
    I have a friend of the wife who had a local (and large) tree company come out to cut back (overhanging branches, maintenance type work. They ended up talking she and her husband into basically a clear cutting of the back yard - mind you their home in a residential neighborhood. Well established trees, homes, back yards. Really a shame. They took out almost 2 dozen trees. On top of the hefty bill to cut, chip, etc... the company that will remain nameless charged them to take the wood away (another hefty charge). Same company turns around and sells the wood - as seasoned. Going by their wood yard, I know how long it sits there! "Seasoned" would be questionable to say the least.
    I will give the company credit, they didn't leave a trace that they were there - raked, cleaned up, etc...

amateur cutter likes this.