In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

NOT For Firewwod

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by UncleJoe, Jul 26, 2014.

  1. UncleJoe

    UncleJoe

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    1,467
    Likes Received:
    5,854
    Location:
    SC Pa
    Did a job this past week; took down a couple trees, trimmed up a few others. But the crown jewel was this 160 year old White Oak. 75' tall and every bit as broad. The base is about 8' in diameter. Took out the dead wood and the interior sucker growth.
    The family has been on the property since right before the Civil War. The current owner related a story to me that he was told by his great-uncle when he was just a wee lad. Standing next to this tree, the great uncle could hear the Battle of Gettysburg and see the clouds of smoke from the battlefield. Gettysburg is about 35 miles to the south of this place.

    This beauty has seen a lot of history.

    P1010731.JPG

    P1010732.JPG



    P1010733.JPG
     
  2. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Nice. Lets hope no storms come in and knock it over.
     
  3. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Dang!!!! that's a big mofo
     
  4. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    What a tree!
     
  5. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Great story joe! And that's a big ol oak!
     
  6. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Awesome Joe! I'm 2 hrs west of you, been to Gettysburg many many times......A humbling place......
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  7. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    I must be right in the middle of you two.
     
  8. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Great pics and a great story. That tree sure does put a dwarfing on you, it's a massive sized trunk, very solid. I hope the work you did on it will give it many more years. Thanks for sharing!
     
  9. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Well then, a meet-up is warranted sometime brother!
     
  10. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    I goofed actually for some reason I thought you posted east of uncle Joe I would be about 3 hours from you. Sorry I pulled an all nighter at work and boobed what I read. It happens, still running on limited sleep since yesterday morning. I guess uncle Joe would be close to the middle of us. Still not that far though.
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  11. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    That's a nice tree. At least a year's firewood in there for most burners.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. UncleJoe

    UncleJoe

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    1,467
    Likes Received:
    5,854
    Location:
    SC Pa
    That's about what I guessed it would be. A full season of heat for me.

    The tree is located a few miles south of Mechanicsburg.