In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Splitting.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by amateur cutter, Feb 27, 2021.

1. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Got up to 50 with sun today! We killed off a 3 cord pile of Elm & Poplar logs. 20210227_094147.jpg 20210227_091828.jpg 20210227_091828.jpg

eatonpcat, M2theB, ThomH123 and 28 others like this.
  2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Nice day for sure.... 3 cord day is a good day... even though I really didn’t do wood today... I did sharpen some chains for tomorrow.... gonna see if I can get some trigger time...

3. mat60

mat60

50 with sun must have been great working ..Nice job with your splitting. Love your building, carport and tractors exc.

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

6. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yep, it was nice to get out & enjoy the weather for sure. Bucked that whole pile with that MM 044 I got from you.:thumbs:
    Thank you. It's home & shop/work both. I like it back here. As you can see I may have a problem buying old tractors lol. There's three more out of sight in the pics.:loco: :crazy:
    Fortunately, I had help from Ken & Roger, but even at that I almost worked up a sweat.:rofl: :lol:We've got a pretty efficient system for getting thru a log pile. Ken & I split the loot & Roger helps out because I let him use my shop for his automotive projects nights & weekends. It's a really nice arrangement.
    We did today for sure. Started at 8:30 & had 2 cord ss at my place & a cord on Ken's trailer by 1:45 P.M. That included an hour lunch break, so not bad. I had about a cord bucked & staged at the splitter after work Friday so we were ready to go. Went fast & smooth with only one chain swap.

7. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Here's the other pic. 20210227_094124.jpg

8. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

I was outside doing the last cutting of the year before I start splitting. It got up to 46° here. I was in a t-shirt. I'd much rather cut when it's below freezing. I know a couple years ago it was right around 32° and I found myself in a t-shirt...although I do remember having to keep working otherwise I'd start to get a bit chilled if I stopped for too long.

9. Loon

Loon

Nice ac.:cheers: I was stuck in the house painting.:hair: :coldone:

10. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Ugh! Most home projects I'll tackle or get a hand from a friend in the trade, painting, absolutely not! I do not like to paint, & I'm a mess with it.

11. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

I'm right there with you, it got to 50 here today as well, I cut early morning but mid day I was stacking wood and I was hot. The misses says I radiate heat even in the winter so maybe that's way lol

Loon
    I feel sorry for you, I hate painting. I have a thing of spackle and a gal of paint sitting right next to me for a room upstairs... I told the misses I would fix the wall, but she's painting it!

amateur cutter that's a lot of work you got done! Nice job. Nice lot of tractors you got there also... I need more tractors :rofl: :lol:

12. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Some nice old tractors but I did not see the pics after you got that 3 cord all split and stacked. That is a good day for sure. That is almost a year's worth of firewood for me.

13. Haftacut

Haftacut

Looks like you’ve still got a base between you and the mud still! I’m down into the mud here so gonna give the cutting a rest and try and work in the wood yard this week.

14. Haftacut

Haftacut

X2

15. Haftacut

Haftacut

My condolences:(

16. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yep, where we're setup is a drive I put in a few years back. It's shaded & I plow it so it freezes pretty deep.
    I'm horrible for remembering pics. Once I get going I just go. Ken took one cord on his trailer & we just stacked the other two in my shed quick. I will likely be close to 18 cord for the year before it's done here. My shop just sucks up the heat in winter, doors open & close all day & we pull ice cold snow covered cars in. I burn twice the wood during the day as I do at night even though temps at night are much colder obviously. I like 68 to 70 for working in shirt sleeves, so I burn what I have to & don't worry about it. I can't imagine what that would cost in propane.:faint:Neighbor down the hill is heavy truck repair & he burns 3-4K gallons of waste oil per winter & it's never warm in there. Next time I'll try & remember more pics.

17. Loon

Loon

Comical as it rained/snowed right till i was done in the house but had no gumption left to have some fun in the sun.:whistle::cheers:

18. Biddleman

Biddleman

I was stuck putting a floor in a room without one straight wall. Weather people said rain today. After lunch the sun was out and about 50*.

19. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Huh...... They must've hired from the same "talent pool" they do around here.:rofl: :lol:

20. Biddleman

Biddleman

Only reason I started the floor project because they said it would rain. Maybe my wife paid them to say that, so I get it done. :heidi: