In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. leoht

leoht

Yes Dennis solar panels are quite common down here, They work well in our climate especially during summer and there have been several government incentive schemes to encourage people to install them.

Kieran’s solar system was installed during one of the first government schemes and he has a great deal, the excesses electricity is fed back in to the grid and he gets credited for it.:thumbs:

2. leoht

leoht

Yes a 4 door 2.8L diesel Toyota HiLux.
    It has served him well although nobody these days would consider it Highly Luxurious.:rofl: :lol:

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We've been getting all sorts of sales literature about them but have not done anything about it yet. Not sure I will either as our electric needs are not great and the bills are relatively low.

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

My father had a Hilux when I was a kid, he bought it as a fixer upper, took off most the trim so he could replace the rusted out parts of the body, he named it "Rusty", drove it around with sanded bondo for years. I always assumed he put the blinkers on fender by the hood like one would add trailer brakes, but it appears they were factory. It was a fun little truck.
    [​IMG]

5. leoht

leoht

Those nice trees around your house would shade the panels if they were installed on your roof greatly reducing there output. Your only real choice would be to have a freestanding array out in the sand dune area but that would provide a bit of a challenge with wiring back to the house.

6. savemoney

savemoney

Yes, That picture was taken by a pro and posted on line. I did a cut and paste. When the air is heavy, the smoke from those shanties fills the area making it hard to breath there. I am glad I am high up on a hill so the smoke hangs low. I don't know how the residents in that area put up with it. When I drive through there, the air smells like creosote. They only have a couple weeks left before the shanties have to be off the river. I don't know if the coast guard will be sending the ice breakers up this year. I am not sure how thick the ice is. Normally, they come up as far as the bridge, then turn back to open ocean water. The goal is to prevent disastrous flooding from ice jams. I have seen it flood so bad that the town went under water with only the second floor of buildings showing. Once the local Hannaford was flooded up to the roof line. The road below our hill was five feet underwater where it is normally several feet above water.

7. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Yes we do, Dave.:thumbs:

8. bogieb

bogieb

:bug:

9. savemoney

savemoney

Time to go back to bed. So sorry for so much bad news. Seems to come like that. Sometimes it feels like we are being tested, but I know that isn't so.

10. savemoney

savemoney

So sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to be home with her until she is able to settle down. Does she have siblings that will help with needs/plans?

11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yes, that is always the challenge. However I've beem seeing a lot of panels installed a long distance from homes so apparently it can work.

bogieb, eatonpcat, yooperdave and 6 others like this.
  12. savemoney

savemoney

Look at what my son has purchased. He put in the order and will get it in about two weeks. He wants to mill his wood for use in building his garage.
    [​IMG]

13. mat60

mat60

I lived in Gardiner back in my young days and I think it was 1987 when the flood happen that you speak of. It sure was something. Glad I lived on school street up on the hill.

14. mat60

mat60

savemoney .. Thats really nice mill.. Seems like not a bad price for it .

15. savemoney

savemoney

I have a propane baseboard heat/hot water system. My hot water is on demand. My hot water is endless and doesn't seem to matter if someone else turns on the hot water while I am in the shower. If you go with a new electric hot water heater, consider one with the heat pump. Rebate at the state level makes them cheap and they run at a fraction of the cost on conventional hot water heaters.

16. savemoney

savemoney

He is a hearty man and can move things about well. He has a nice JD tractor so I think he'll do OK with it. He didn't tell me how much it cost, but I looked it up on line. Looks like $8,700. He wants to put up a garage and some other outbuildings. He owns about 20 acres of trees, mixed wood. Lots of oak.
    He and his wife bought some land two years ago. They cleared a road 1000ft and put up a house in a year while both working full time.
    [​IMG]

17. mat60

mat60

Very nice home.. Great he has logs to mill on the land. I bet he will get allot of use out of the mill and be glad he has invested in it.

bogieb, eatonpcat, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  18. Chud

Chud

Spring is here, so I’m fixin to plant this baby shagbark.
    ABDA2FF7-C86D-4752-9ACA-3C5D9743D050.jpeg

bogieb, eatonpcat, Horkn and 10 others like this.
  19. Midwinter

Midwinter

20. ole

ole

She’s the youngest of four. All four of them wrote the obit yesterday at the funeral home. The funeral director told them he averages about 80 funerals a year. In the last 30 days counting my MIL he has done 11.:(