In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Noted, thank you sir!

Chvymn99, Chazsbetterhalf and jrider like this.
  2. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Awesome info, thank you!

I've done reading on the poop shelf. I didn't have built into my original plans but I think should be pretty easy to add one. It's not a big coop, 4x4 we plan on only getting 3 - 4 chickens to start with. We'll see how it goes :yes: Taking the kids to TSC this weekend to pickup some supplies, may pickup the chickens next weekend/pres day.

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Well this week will be interesting for the feathered fellows'.... Gonna clean the coop a bit today and put a nice layer of pine shavings down... May try to cut down a few areas of draft out so they dont get that cuttin' wind....

4. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I do have a wireless thermometer inside the coop. When i had 16 chickens, it stayed pretty warm in there. Now that i have 11, it's noticeably cooler.

When the temps drop well into the negatives, I'll put a lamp on. Yes, there is an increase risk of a fire, but i have it triple mounted and it's well away from coombustibles. Feathers are quite combustible, but hoping one never makes its way up there, about 4 ft above the floor.

Last weekend we had 2 nights of -20°F not including any wind and the coop dropped to 17°F with the lamp on.

Biggest fear is the lamp is on and the bulb dies or the power goes out, it would be quite the temperature swing.

So far so good. It's amazing, chickens certainly take the cold better than the heat.

5. BCB

BCB

My layers finally started producing about 10 days ago. Got them as day old chicks mid May. It's about time!

I have to redo my nesting box as only 1 is using it and the rest are laying under it on the floor. I built my coop over the summer during the lumber shortage and it's made out of fencing pickets. I'm going to pick up some plywood and make an external nesting box and hang it off the rear of the coop.

6. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:dex::dex:.... Yea, mine still do that sometimes... Especially in the dog days of summer...where I'm guessing its cooler..since the nest box is on the west side of the coop...:headbang:... But I've got a trash grabber from HF that I can get underneath and retrieve them... Mine just started back up about 2 weeks ago...I had to buy eggs from the store for about a month...:faint:... Not the same...

JackHammer, Chazsbetterhalf and BCB like this.
  7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Went to go check on the chickens this morning... They were all on the top roost and they were all facing away from the door...... never do they do that... usually one or two will be on the bottom roost... Must have a little cold...

bogieb and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  8. BCB

BCB

Built one of these on Friday. I only have 4 birds but I hate hand cleaning eggs lol.

9. clay shooter

clay shooter

good job i like that,on the farm i had to do them all by hand.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  10. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

mmmm.... never heard of that... looks interesting... let us know how it turns out...

Chazsbetterhalf and JackHammer like this.
  11. BCB

BCB

It worked great. took most of the dirt off. just had to finish them w a quick wipe before putting them in the carton. I gently bubbled them in warm water for about 10 mins. I added a little bit of dawn but idk if that really did anything besides make suds. im going to try it w/o the dawn next time.

12. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Finally finished the coop and wrapped up a few odds and ends. We got 3 birds (2x buff orpingtons & 1 easter egger) 2 weeks on Friday. Very next day we added 1 more, a plymouth rock. The plymouth rock laid our 1st egg on President day and we got about 6 eggs in total that week and 3 eggs this week so far.

Just about two weeks into owning Chickens for the very 1st time I have to say it has been really enjoyable so far for all of us. Kids love visiting them and giving them treats and they are learning a lot. Slowly the chickens are getting use to use. I have never really been around chickens much at all in my life and I have to say they are much more funnier and entertaining then I thought. I built and set up everything to try and make it as easy as possible to care for and maintain as we juggle everyday life. I sprung for an automatic door opener and that has really been amazing so far. We already would like to add at least 2 more (our initial goal was 5, one for each of us, but its all I could find 2 weeks ago) and that's all I really have the space for but didn't realize all that went into adding new chickens with quarantining and separating them. Had I known I would have waited till I could have gotten all 5 or 6 in one shot, lesson learned!

Funny story, 2nd night we had them I was at my parents I asked my wife to check on them as it was just after dark. She called in a panic, 1 is in the coop, 2 are sitting on the gate and one is missing. I raced home as fast I could safely could as there was an ice storm that night and found the missing one way up on top of the coop. I was able to get them all safely into the coop (really docile at night) but I was pretty clueless and a little panicked for sure! I didn't realize how high they can fly and made the gate only 4ft high. I've since added some chicken wire temporarily till this snow melts and then I will make a 6ft gate and hardware cloth everything off.

Here are a few pics:

20210218_110608.jpg 20210224_103355.jpg 20210213_140315(0).jpg 20210220_151942.jpg

13. clay shooter

clay shooter

thats a very nice coop

14. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

How long can you let them set on a counter like that? Like your egg holder.

ReelFaster and MikeInMa like this.
  15. JackHammer

JackHammer

You got them full grown... That means you missed all the fun of opening a box of dead chicks at the post office!
    I own about 30 birds, soon to be 65. I think 9 is a good number for a family. You might find you eat more eggs if they are readily available.

16. JackHammer

JackHammer

I made one and it worked great. I processed 7 dozen eggs last week with very little work involved.

17. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Am no expert but I've read up to a month, however best tasting when eaten under 2 weeks.

Chazsbetterhalf and Chvymn99 like this.
  18. BCB

BCB

Nice build Reel. Buffs are one of my favorite breeds.

19. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

I figured let me start out with fully grown laying hens, I heard chicks can be tedious especially in winter. I am sure one day I'll give that a try.

Yes we'd like to add more already, but got to work on something to keep them separated. I think I can squeeze 6 comfortably in my coop/run. We shall see!

20. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Everything looked amazing! Eggcellent job!

2 months outside the refrigerator, 6 mos in the fridge!