In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ice ice ice

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Eckie, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sounds really nasty.

mat60 likes this.
  2. Eckie

Eckie

Well, luckily we kept power through the night, it went off at 8:15. Went off at my folks house (20-ish miles away) at 5 am.

Roads are clear. Decided to give cows more hay up in field, further from woods and woods fence. Took a hammer to knock ice off gate chains. Very slight breeze started blowing, and God's tree trimming went to work. Amazing how loud a small branch sounds when everything's coated in ice.

mat60 and yooperdave like this.
  3. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Been freezing rain here since about 1pm. I drove home from my buddy's house and the roads were still just wet but the truck turned into an icicle. Everything pretty much has a coating of ice on it now (4:25pm) and it's supposed to continue overnight. It'll be a skating rink in the am

Mrs piney and piney #1 are in Tampa for the weekend so it's me and the little man hanging tight in the house.

4. Eckie

Eckie

It's nasty here. I got some pics, but having problems getting them uploaded. The FIL went to town (about 7-8 miles) said there are trees, limbs and lines everywhere. People already bout fighting for or gas. He used to work for the power company. He's guessing 7-10 days

5. Eckie

Eckie

Power still out, since 815 am Saturday. Supposedly our county had almost 100% power outage. They have a ton of power and vdot crews out, and all kinds of contract crews. Worse news is we have another storm coming tomorrow night, and we're supposed to get hammered again. They're saying this one will be worse and have some winds involved. We're tired of this mess. It's mind blowing how much we take power, and "normal" life, for granted. Another busy busy day tomorrow.

mat60, yooperdave and Eric VW like this.
  6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hang in there E. :yes:

mat60, yooperdave and Eckie like this.
  7. tree killer

tree killer

And you live in the south. You need to spend some time at the 45th parallel.

mat60 likes this.
  8. Eckie

Eckie

Nope, not gonna happen. I dont like snow, but snow would have been much better. I went over to my folks to help my dad today, looks like a tornado hit in places, trees just snapped off. Massive poplars with most of their limbs smaller than softball size gone. Lots of poles snapped from the ice, and the trees falling on lines. Snow hurts us down here compared to places up north that are used to it, but this was bad. The coming storm is supposed to be worse, heard today they were advising for folks to leave our county.

mat60 likes this.
  9. Eckie

Eckie

The wife just saw on fb that our power co-op posted that there are crews from 6 states, 28 different co-ops here now working on the power. The neighbor talked to someone with the company yesterday, he was told power back by Sunday 2pm. Fingers crossed, but not gonna hold my breath...