In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Garage barn ideas/pics

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Biddleman, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Biddleman

Biddleman

Looking to build a stand alone garage that has a second floor. Hoping to have as much useable floor space on the second floor as possible. Probably would have a shed dormer on one side. Looking at 26' x 32' or so. I'll like enough room in the back for a work shop. Im thinking the garage barn, carriage house design would be best in keeping with the style of our farmhouse.
    If you have something similar please share a pic and suggestions of what you would or not do.

2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

My Buddy had this built, only thing that I would change is the trusses. You can see he has posts running down the middle. I would have gotten attic trusses that would free span from bearing wall to bearing wall, if I had this kind of coin to spend 100_1626.JPG

100_1667.JPG

4. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Too cold to go take pictures so I’ll see what I can find. Our barn garage was built in 97 but looks much older. Board and batten exterior, shakes, and a white eves. It has an I beam going right down the center to help carry second floor. I believe it’s 28’ wide and 42’ deep but I may be a bit off. The roof is trusses with 2x8 joists for second floor floor and main level ceiling. Second floor is great for storage currently with a dream of a more useable space sometime down the road as a guest area/gathering spot.

Attached Files:

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

I see the posts on the first level and attic trusses on the 2md level.

I'm thinking it wouldn't need those 1st floor posts if the floor joists for the 2nd level were large and strong enough to carry the entire span across the entire width of the garage. I had a garage with those center posts....they are a nuisance!

Looks nice!

6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Larger bottom chord is what I meant by attic truss to span wall to wall. I would imagine those posts down the middle would be a PITA!

7. Biddleman

Biddleman

I like the look of that style but boss lady doesn't care for it as much. She of course likes the "carriage" style better.

jtstromsburg this is what I had in mind! I like the board and batten. How much head room you have upstairs?

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

:handshake:

9. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I’ll get some pictures later but the sidewalks carry the roof trusses and there’s about 48” or more and trusses scissor to middle with a solid 10’ there. So there’s 16’ or better wise with 6’ of headroom.

10. Meche_03

Meche_03

I have a 30' x 60'. That is 12' at the eves. I wish it was built a little taller so I could at least have a short second story for storage above parking places at garage doors. All the space lost to shelves for seasonal stuff could have been up out of the way.

I have my 75 hp tractor, all yard equipment, mower, tiller, wood splitter, and room for wife's vehicle as it sits now. A bit of organization and I could have my truck in also. There is currently an enclosed storage area in one corner.

I'd like a separate shop for tractor and implements and welding/ blacksmithing. Cheapest way to get sq ft under roof is add lean-to to garage.
    First world problems

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  11. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

upload_2021-2-16_8-44-44.png
    What is the purpose of this on a barn? Does it lend some strength to the roof or building? The overhang doesn't see to protect anything. Or is it just looks. I guess I see them around, and your picture made be curious.

upload_2021-2-16_19-26-45.png

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Biddleman buddy just built 30 x 40 shop he ordered it from Lowe’s came with pre fab walls trusses engineered. Has 12 foot high walls and trusses are engineered to hold xx pounds per square foot. Remember an 6-7 foot wide door at top so you don’t have to carry heavy things up stairs

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

SloMoJoe that peak in olden times carried a pulley to lift hay into top of barn

14. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

Learned something new... Thanks!

15. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Called a widow’s peak or crows beak roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Yup like was said above. This was built to look old and is even stained in a weathered grey so it looks, well, old. Needs stained this year again.
    It has a full stairwell to the second floor and one wall with a door opening roughed in on one side of said stairway. The other side of the stairs is the garage wall so all is insulted and the shop side has a 1/2 bath and hose bib with a floor drain and plastic walls in the corner. It was -29f this morning but supposed to only be -7 tonight so I should get more pictures tomorrow.

17. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

That's a great looking barn!!

Chazsbetterhalf and Jack Straw like this.
  18. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Totally forgot about this till just now. 70 here today, for a couple hours. Yards a mess and so’s the inside, but here’s some more pictures of our barn/garage/shop/catch-all. Sidewalls are 52” where the trusses set and the height in the center is about 9’-2”. You can see the main beam in the garage and it’s wrapped in the shop side. Floor joists are 2x8 spanning about 14’. We really like enjoy it but boy does it need a good spring clean and purge.

Attached Files:

19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Seems a large beam would have worked well in place of the posts.

eatonpcat likes this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

That's a great looking building, Joel!