In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New to me truck! Thoughts on Ford aluminum body.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Dakota Hoarder, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

So I’m considering getting a new to me truck. Only reason is my 2011 Chevy with 85,000 miles is starting to show some rust issues and I think I’m at the point of no return. I can get $13,000 in trade now, but I think if the rust starts showing worse I won’t be able to get much in trade so I’d just have put up with a rusty truck so...

I’m not brand loyal, and don’t want to get into Ford vs Chevy vs Ram etc.. I know they all have pros and cons and for me it usually just comes down to the best deal.

2. questions:
    1. How well is the Ford aluminum body holding up? I really like the idea of no rust.
    2. What is the better engine for towing and hauling? I would think the 5.0 would be way better, but I hear the 3.5 Ecobost is just as good if not better.

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

I wonder how the aluminum to steel connections are made and if there is the possibility of corrosion or electrolysis to occur?

That being said, I ended up buying a Chevy instead of a ford almost a year ago. The ford was just a little better equipped that the chevy (barely), the chevy had brand new tires. Both had the same miles on the clock, both were certified.

The chevy dealer wanted my business, the ford dealer came down a pittance and then held true. I spent a lot less getting the chevy, the ford sat on the dealers lot for a few more months. I don't know if it went to an auction or if they finally came down enough to sell it off their lot.

Myself, I only considered the V8 since I had intentions of getting a plow on it in the future (which I did). Having had ford trucks all my life, that chevy sure does have a superior comfortable ride compared to the ford. Most always, I on the highway anyway.

I guess I am a bit partial to ford trucks, but I did find out that here in the U.P. Chevy trucks are the number one seller.

If I did buy another chevy, I'm thinking it'll be a 3/4 ton instead of the LT I got. I don't think the Z chevy has any more load capacity.

Same goes with the ford.....3/4 ton or the 3/4 ton package with the 1/2 badge-if they still offer it. I had a ford f 150 with the 3/4 package (drivetrain, rear end, suspension, payload) and that thig was sweet for hauling wood! I never did get the front end to raise any thing noticeable no matter how much wood I had in the back! My older f 150 would squat with just the atv in the back. :picard:

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

4. woody5506

woody5506

The whole aluminum vs steel thing is a bit silly. Sure aluminum doesn't "rust" it just corrodes and pits when subjected to corrosive elements but doesn't appear to look like rust. Same idea though, minus actual orange crummy rust scale. I've worked on a whole lot of aluminum car stuff from new to classic that was corroded all the way through.

5. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

I’ve been driving an aluminum one since 2015. No issues for me. Bed seems to hold up a bit better.

6. schlot

schlot

We have a 3.5 with the aluminum body. No regrets as a field truck for us.

7. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Do you tow with your 3.5?

NH mountain man, Chvymn99 and Loon like this.
  8. Redfin

Redfin

Those engines are no joke.

9. schlot

schlot

No. Just loaded box full of equipment.

All our recent trucks have been 4.6, 5.4 and 5.0. The 5.0 is a nice engine and seriously debated paying the extra for the 5.0.

Will see how it handles in the long run. Next one may go back to 5.0 in case the 3.5 isn't the way to go.

We put a ton of miles on them. We have trucks at 350,000 or better so we put them through the ringer. :)

10. Horkn

Horkn

I don't know how I missed this?

The bodies won't rust per say, but they can corrode. That said, they'll last way longer than the steel bodies.

Ecoboost (s) vs v8.. I went 5.0 v8 on my 2016. All are great engines, but the 5.0 it's super solid and sounds great. The 5.0 typically has more hp, than the 3.5, but the tq is a little better rated in the bigger ecoboost. The 5.0 is probably the best v8 you can get in a truck. Sure, you can get a supercharged hellcat truck, but they suck gas. That 5.0 gets up and moves, even in a heavy truck. That's also where the 700 lb less alloy body helps.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  11. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

The 3.5 in my truck sounds great as well. And I'm sure that has nothing to do with Ford playing what sounds like V8 engine noise through the speakers. :D

I've only driven 3.5's, but both are great engines from what I hear. I put 150k miles on one, and now am at 130k miles on my second. With the lighter body on the 2nd one, I'm 19.1 mpg life to date, but I only tow a couple of times a year, and I'm mostly highway miles in 70 mph states. Keep it out of boost, and it's surprising how good of mileage it gets. That being said, I doubt you'd keep it out of boost much at the highway speeds in SD.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  12. J bird

J bird

Just be careful throwing things in to the bed. To be fair it was a 2x2 1/2 inch think about 5 foot long stick of steel angle.
    4483FAFA-AE7C-412C-9E94-12C26114500F.jpeg 91089C49-9681-4850-99FF-B55D2DEBAC5F.jpeg

13. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I am not a car guy, but this is a strong statement!

14. Horkn

Horkn

It really is. 5 liters 400 hp 400 tq. Give or take for the years as it's been around 10 years already.

Otherwise, there's the 5.3 gm, and it's nearly 50 hp less, despite more displacement, and still less tq than the Ford 5.0. there's the 420 hp 6.2, that has like 460 tq, but it's got a whole compact car's displacement advantage. If you to the power to displacement calculation, it's not that great.

The hemi 5.7 has almost as much hp and tq as the 5.0, but also more displacement.

The tundra 5.7 has 400 tq, but only 381 hp is again, larger in displacement.

So hp/tq to displacement, you will have a hard time to argue against the coyote. There's a reason it's VERY popular for engine swaps. It's also super stout and can handle a lot of power if you want to build one up.

15. Horkn

Horkn

A steel bed wouldn't fare really any better.

Bed liners really help too.

Gm failed with their stupid ads about 6 years ago.:rofl: :lol:

16. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Sorry, did not realize you were only including 1/2 engine choices although I believe GM offers the 6.2 in their High Country and Trail Boss trucks. Heck I know nuttin about trucks, just not sure the 5.0 is the best

17. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Good info! Can’t imagine getting any where near 18 mpg going 80 mph pulling my boat down the interstate! But I’m sure I’ll get better than I do with my 5.3 Chevy!

18. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Pretty sure a spray in bead liner will take care of anything ( mostly firewood) that I’ll by throwing in the bed. Spray in bed liner is an absolute most for me!

19. Horkn

Horkn

Well, we're talking half ton trucks. ;)

If you want to add in cars, the 5.2 voodoo and predator are pretty epic too.

I mentioned the 6.2 gm, but it's really not that impressive. I drove one. Drag races confirm this as f150 coyotes beat the 6.2 GM trucks. Plus, there's not many 6.2's out there or available. Lots of 5.3's.
    Then compare thee 5.3 to the 5.0 and it's really no comparison. I know, trucks aren't made for drag racing, but it's a great comparison.

20. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

I agree Horkn . I’ve been a Chevy guy for 10 years. My 2011 silverado pulls way better than my 2001 f150 did, but from what everything I can find says either the3.5 ecobost or the 5.0 will do better than Chevy5.3. Plus the aluminum puts Ford ahead of Chevy for me. I Want to own this truck for 10++ years and not want have to get rise of it because of rust!

NH mountain man, Chvymn99 and Horkn like this.