In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How much wood to store inside the house?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sirchopsalot, Feb 15, 2021.

1. woodsman416

woodsman416

I made this wood box out of T-111. It keeps the room clean and holds about 2 days worth of wood depending.

KBOX.JPG KBOX1.JPG

2. Warner

Warner

Ouch! Lazy wood? That stings! Kidding.

we all know there is nothing lazy about burning firewood!

metalcuttr, Slocum, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  3. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

About two days worth for us, and I wish it were much much more. Our "dry" wood in Western Oregon is very likely way wetter than yours. Covered, but unheated wood absorbs air moisture and runs up around 20% moisture content in the winter where I live, though less of a problem most other places. So even "dry" covered wood is damp here come late winter. A few days inside seems to help some, but probably not much. Does warm wood burn better than cold wood? I wonder.

Here is a very interesting data link to a table about this right here in the Firewood Hoarder's Club Resources section.

[​IMG]
    You may see there is a piece in the box with green moss on it, even though it's been C/S/S inside for years.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  4. In the Pines

In the Pines

isn't that the truth! I just topped my stack off because the forecast is calling for 7-9" tonight.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Well daddy helped see avatar :cool:

metalcuttr and Chvymn99 like this.
  6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Nice furniture Woodsman , and the handle on your box as well.

Buzz , I love the finished look . wood box seat combonation. I might have to think about something like that myself. I could put something like that in our house here and have it be multi purpose.

Great ideas here. Nice to see how everyone else deals with this.

7. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

This will last me a week in the dead of winter

20210215_181000.jpg

8. Thor

Thor

I usually fill this once a week. No problem with bugs or spiders.

0215211729.jpg

9. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

What I am using now is this box I made this year from some warped ash. I milled it almost 2 years ago now.. If I fill it all the way with splits it will hold about 2 days worth of wood.
    I have a garage connected to the house and I keep another 2/3 of a cord out there on a metal rack. That will last at least a week or more.

The box is sealed with 3 coats of polyurethane inside and out .
    IMG_1477.JPG

10. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Saw a porch in our hood here, similarly stacked. They had what appeared to be spoked wagon wheels upright in the stack, 2 per hole, wood stacked around and above the wheels. In each 'bay' there was one hole with 2 wheels each. Thought it was classy.
    Sca

11. Haftacut

Haftacut

I store my seasons worth in barn. Bring truckload at a time to garage, where it stays until ready to go in furnace or stove. Don’t feel strongly for or against it but have never stored firewood inside.

12. ole

ole

I keep it simple. A copper boiler next to stove. The rest is in the garage. Dustbuster standing by ready for duty!

D9DDA316-9ACC-4688-9C93-C8BD493535D0.jpeg

Thor, eatonpcat, Buzz Benton and 9 others like this.
  13. Slocum

Slocum

We keep 2 totes in garage, 2 wheeled carts and 4X4 rack by basement stove. We really don’t get spiders, just the occasional stink bug. My wood is a good 450’ from the house. With recent predictions of heavy snow I carried a extra tote up to back of house just incase something was to happen to tractor. F8334AF8-A83F-4474-819F-0FE4E2358A60.jpeg 0D1A1F7A-DA11-4EE4-84BE-127C763FF811.jpeg 4A7CFA40-5753-4708-AD07-7C612C0983C4.jpeg We also keep a wheeled cart beside our upstairs stove, I built a rack on our front porch to feed that stove. I back wagon up to deck and fill rack. I didn’t want to have to carry wood up stairs. I want to be prepared, you never can predict a back going out or other things.

Attached Files:

Thor, eatonpcat, Buzz Benton and 5 others like this.
  14. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Slocum
    Hear ya about having plenty easily at hand.
    It doesnt take much for the household to be knocked down by a cold. Or toast from unloading a 53 foot trailer of hay (630 bales yesterday) or whatever other mischief we get into.
    Have a porch closet that holds 3 or 4 days of wood, and some out the back room window we could grab. Havent needed to touch that stuff yet.
    Sca

Slocum and metalcuttr like this.
  15. CHeath

CHeath

I can put an entire seasons worth in my basement.

Chris F, Slocum, Buzz Benton and 2 others like this.
  16. farmer rob

farmer rob

[/QUOTE]
    Next year I will reply with my new setup when the new house should be completed.. but for this year I have a wood box with 4 days worth in the area beside my stove

17. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Buzz Benton is that a Country T Top stove? Looks like the same model we have but the swing is reversed. Really love ours!

Slocum and Buzz Benton like this.
  18. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Hi, yes it is!
    We should compare notes on how they run. I like mine enough to keep it, but am envious of those who have units that can burn better overnight. This one came with the house, built in 1996. Tell me about yours?

Slocum and metalcuttr like this.
  19. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Here is ours IMG_0035 (800x600).jpg complete with Gordon Setter pillow weight. We bought it when they first came out in 1989 ish. It is EPA approved (first round of rules) and also approved by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Simple reburn system with no consumable parts like a converter. With the baffles on three sides it heats a lot of air but is radiant mostly out the front. This is good for us as the front room is smaller and would swelter with a lot of radiant heat. The hot air rises and travels along the vaulted ceiling and upstairs to keep the bedrooms warm. It replaced a Schrader stove which used twice the firewood and smoked a lot. Smokes a bit on startup (like they all do) but settles to a clean burn quickly if you start with smaller splits. It likes dry wood! It will leave plenty of coals overnight with Madrone or Oak but Doug Fir lacks a bit in keeping qualities. Keeps coals best with a moderate amount of ash in the box. If you damp it way down with lots of wood that is not already coaled up it will smoke a small bit. The bigger box on this stove likes a lot of wood and a lot of reburn air to stay hot and efficient. Once in a great while I will air blast out the reburn tubes at the top of the fire box as they can coke up over time if you damp down marginally dry wood a lot. Also air blast the inside of the baffles to remove any dust accumulation. All in all a trouble free stove that is EPA efficient and requires no continuing costs. There is one cost I forgot. I have replaced the insulation blanked above the brick firebox ceiling a couple of times but cost is minimal.

20. Meche_03

Meche_03

Furnace is in the unfinished basement. We keep about 6ft x2ft inside on a rack. Wood varies from 16" to 22". Wood pile is 100 ft from basement door. Kids use wagons to move wood to basement door.

Usually 2 wagons of wood sit in the garage to keep a few days worth dry if we have a rainy spell.