In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood jig

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Horkn, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Horkn

Horkn

I made this firewood jig. This will be useful to cut any too long of splits into 17" easily and safely.
    20201111_154907(1).jpg

I made it from leftover PT deck boards and other pieces from my wood shed build and an old oak shelf from the house that we took out.

I made it 16" deep, so run the saw dogs right up to the side of the jig, and the splits are cut to 17". I left enough room for the ratchet strap in the middle and for now it's screwed to the 4x4 of one of the bays. I'll probably leave it there for all that I have to cut that in have here, then I'll move it elsewhere, maybe on the back side of the shed, so it's not in the way of my stacks. Right now it will be in the way.

It works perfectly.

Now I need to get all of the rest of the too long pile brought over, cut them, then I can stack them in the wood shed.

walt, In the Pines, Chaz and 28 others like this.
  2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Now you can mark that off your to do list!

3. Horkn

Horkn

After I ran out of any rounds to cut and split, and no orher splits left to haul/ stack, I guess I needed to do this.;). Next week as the week goes on, it will get warmer and nice enough to get the minor shingle repair done.

I also heard chainsaws at the neighbors a couple houses away. I'll see if there's rounds or logs to scrounge.:woodsign:

4. Horkn

Horkn

I officially cut all of my long pieces down to 17" today. I unscrewed it from the 4x4 so I can stack in the left bay. The big pile is cut down on to size and I'll probably need it again, but I'll wait until I get a good pile of them built up.

I've been pretty good with 16-18" rounds when I cut, but some of my rounds are scrounged and come in odd lengths.

I keep a small take measure in my carhartt jacket to verify.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice jig, glad it worked so well for you.

6. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

nice jig! I have been needing to make one of these, I might toss one together today if I have the time.

7. Horkn

Horkn

If you have any leftover 5/4 deck boards scraps, they work great. Then I used 16" 2x4's to join the 2 deck board frames. Screw a back on, but leave a gap in the back bottom between the deck boards frame and the back piece to allow chips/ dirt etc to fall through. Measure the distance from the outside of the saw dog to the chain. Mine happened to be 1" on the dolkita, so each split will be 17" of you run the dogs right next to the jig frame.

I can fit 10-12 big splits in mine, which is more than adequate. I try to measure my splits to be 16-18", but sometimes I'm a little off. My neighbor is always hacking away at his silver maple in his back yard. He knows that I'll take any wood except willow, so he drops them off in my pile. But oh boy, he's really bad with a chainsaw. Many of his pieces get used in the fire pit, some get "fixed" by me, and once in a while I get 16-18" pieces from him. The right sized pieces are very rare though. He has brought over crabapple though, and I saved every bit I could, with chunks for smoking food.

8. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I have TONS of 5/4 scraps, and a steady stream of full length 5/4 boards as well from the mud kitchens I build. I got busy today and forgot about this, but I need to prioritize it. I often will use the old chop saw for cutting splits to length.

9. Horkn

Horkn

I figured you would with the mud kitchens. I think the taller deck boards are 22-24" tall. I can get dimensions of mine tomorrow. Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing on mine. The two 2x4's on the bottom work great and the one 2x4 on top allows you to be able to get the ratchet strap over the top easily.

Mount it up high enough so you don't need to bend to cut, and put it where you can park a wheelbarrow or cart below it to catch the chunks.

10. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I can mount it right on my outside workbench, perfect.

11. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice job. :thumbs: How does it work? Sorry i missed this as i never go to the DIY thread. Great repurpose!

13. Horkn

Horkn

It works great. I use it more than I thought I would:whistle::doh::picard:

I should mount it on the wood shed permanently, up high enough to put the gorilla cart or the sled underneath. That way the chunks can fall in and no need to pick them up and no bending over to cut them.

14. Screwloose

Screwloose

I take it my hold the split in my left hand while I use the top handle in my right hand is frowned upon.......

15. Horkn

Horkn

Well, there's a city in Wisconsin with an appropriate name. Your real name isn't Ken OSHA is it?
    :rofl: :lol:

16. Screwloose

Screwloose

Well jeez if I had a bunch to cut I'd wind up the buzzsaw.
    Someday I'll show you my skilsaw in the lap one handed table saw trick.

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

It is and i do the same. I try to limit it so i dont get lax. Reason i got the rear handle 201.

18. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

19. JackHammer

JackHammer

What's wrong with burning willow? I have 3 huge trees in my front yard.

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Its when they are in your stove that is the problem...last about 49 seconds before you gotta "go for" another load...that's why they call it gopher wood! :hair: :rofl: :lol:
    Works fine for spring and fall days when you just need to take the chill off a little though...lotta work for a little heat though...