In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fire starter price/availability

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by g60gti, Feb 4, 2021.

1. MikeyB

MikeyB

I use the Weber fire cubes and the duraflame quick starts. I only use the fat wood for the firepit, don’t really care for these much. I did like the super cedars from this site. They lasted a long time for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Chud likes this.
  2. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Noodles man, Noodles.

I a few minutes you can make enough to fill a few feed sacks. Leave in the sun a day and then store in a dry place VERY FAR away from any point of ignition.

3. woodsman416

woodsman416

I use the ash bark that peels off when I split it. A couple of milk crates stacked against the wall of the shed will probably last me a few years. Great with a couple of newspaper ties for starting the stove cold and also great in morning to restart off glowing coals.

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  4. g60gti

g60gti

Yeah, lots of options out there, thanks! Just seems like the ones I really liked have doubled in price in a very short time so was just wondering if it was like that across the board. I used to make them all the time in Boy Scouts. Guess I gotta have the relatives start saving egg cartons and put my kids to work!

Sandhillbilly likes this.
  5. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

I can save you some $$$ Buy the propane tank, the haven't made MAPP since 1997, it is now Polypropylene which is just a bit hotter than propane. Mapp was closer to acetylene in btu's but Map/Pro is closer to propane. Many years ago I bought an adaptor to fill the 1lb tank from a 20lb tank. I can get 20 tanks for $13 last time I had the 20lb filled. OH ya that is the way I start my fire in the OWB and I used it when I had my indoor stove.

MikeInMa and Sandhillbilly like this.
  6. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I'm always making kindling and fire starting supplies. I scrounge birch bark, pine cones, wood scraps, old candles, and split up a pile of pencil pieces and my wife finally said enough this year. We have boxes of the stuff stacked in the living room and at least a cord of cedar pieces outside in bins. We have only used a handful of any of this stuff this year and probably have enough for 100 years.

MikeInMa likes this.