In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Aunt Jemima has a new name....

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Knothead, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

And you could eat lots of them without gaining extra weight. Yes, those were the good days.

2. Kimberly

Kimberly

While that did happen it was not the norm. Yes, there were horrible owners but the majority did not. Yes, I could have gotten a minor in history if I had wished. Did you know that slaves were given guns and ammo in some instances so they could hunt to help reduce the costs of feeding a huge workforce? Slaves also carried cargo down the rivers; without any overseer; that was a pie job for a slave because you got to travel. Was slavery bad? Yes, of course it was, taking the freedom of any human is wrong.

There are many forms of slavery and one can be a slave in many ways. I like to keep warm with wood heat but that means me feeding the stove; so you could say I am a slave to the stove. That was more of the meaning of the OP's comments.

Eckie, PA Mountain Man and bigfrank like this.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Care to expand on this?

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  4. justdraftn

justdraftn

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

This thread quickly became controversial and politics are knocking at the back door. Hoarders, please keep it clean, Okay?

Loon, eatonpcat, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  6. B.Brown

B.Brown

So, this means no more endorsements for base ball , foot ball and basket ball players right? On cereal boxes correct?? Me, i'd be really PROUD to have one of my relatives pictures on a box, no matter what.

Eckie, WeldrDave, theburtman and 2 others like this.
  7. bigfrank

bigfrank

I'm already doing just that..

8. Chaz

Chaz

Indentured servitude.. Quite different from slavery.

Indentured servitude - Wikipedia

A choice is involved. The comparison to slavery and employment is also flawed. I can choose to terminate the contract with my employer, slaves could not.

It is interesting though, the U.S. is the only country that seems to carry the baggage of slavery so deeply. Which is quite interesting since slavery has been around since (likely long before) recorded history.

If anyone has an axe still to grind, it should be the native Americans that were living here before the European's arrived.

Slavery has been abolished, however racism still exists, and will likely never go away.

Humans still tend to think "tribally", we associate with "like" peoples, often regardless of ethnic or religious differences. But only when a common bond is shared.

The move towards removing every "symbol" that may offend someone will only serve to eradicate the 1st Amendment. Freedom of SPEECH, and the freedom of Religion can suffer the same fate.

Furthermore, censorship may prevent people from speaking what they believe, but it will never change what they believe.

Horkn, oldspark, yooperdave and 6 others like this.
  9. Wouldsplitter

Wouldsplitter

As someone who identifies as a trans-pans-decendic-savyont who is attracted to turtles. I'm kind of offended that bowser is portrayed as a bad guy in video games.

10. Eckie

Eckie

Well, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they'd replaced Aunt Jemima with say Alice off of Brady Bunch. Que heads go boom....

Chaz, you knocked it out of the park with your post.

It's hard to move past something when a particular side is constantly bringing it up and causing a ruckus. I also don't understand how it can be said that everyone should be treated the same, yet some people are constantly trying to get something else, something extra, based upon the very thing they say shouldn't make them any different.

I'm willing to bet that no one around had slaves. Yet somehow "we" are responsible. "They" seem to "forget" who captured the slaves and put them into the chain of the system.....that little truth seems to be of little value to them.

Most people (regular, moderate folks, not the "ultra" ones who get all the attention) agree slavery is and was wrong, and would love to treat everyone the same and just move past all this. But the constant bombardment of the "baggage of slavery", the cries of racism many of which are unfounded or made up and which self perpetuate, and the eradication of SOME speech....things like those are what continues to fuel a fire that would otherwise have gone out.

This statement is true in and of itself, but also because of some of my above statements. It also amazes me that racism is glaringly obvious and evident towards all "kinds" of people, yet is only a "problem" towards one "kind" of people from a particular other "kind".

Softwood, Chaz and Erik B like this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Here's one for you...what percentage of NFL players are white? Who's crying racism there...anybody? Or the NBA might be an even better example...

yooperdave, MikeyB and Chaz like this.
  12. Eckie

Eckie

So I wasnt going to go here.....but did anybody pay attention to the SB half time show....

Even though I bring it up, I really don't give two chits. Its the fact of if it were reverse the outcry that it would cause that get's me. Oh the irony

Ron T, Softwood and brenndatomu like this.
  13. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

That was the point I was trying to make. Seems counterproductive to their cause.

Softwood and Eckie like this.
  14. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

No I did not see it.
    I turned off the Superbowl even before it started.
    Politics and race discussions prior to the game was the end of football season for me.

Knothead, Softwood, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  15. Softwood

Softwood

Right on. That happened 3 years ago for me.

Chaz and Eckie like this.
  16. oldspark

oldspark

LOL, these threads always become controversial, I will say this and this comes from personal experience, I live in a small town and there are very few non whites here (none actually) now and when I grew up. People I have known for 60 years are racist, how do I know this you ask, because of the comments they have made to me in just the last few years. So the few people I know here in this small town that feel that way tells me the problem is much bigger then people want to admit.
    Sorry if this thread gets shut down, I am done with it.
    See you guys and gals on the flip side!

Wouldsplitter and Eckie like this.
  17. theburtman

theburtman

Even in Congress they promote division. There is a Congressional Black Caucus. Can you imagine the outrage if there was a Congressional White Caucus?
    By the way, I've given up the NFL and NASCAR since they've gone Woke

18. Wouldsplitter

Wouldsplitter

Bowser really wasn't that bad of a guy when you think of it. He was a single dad. He gave all his kids a kingdom, or a land. All he really wanted was a mother for his kids. He really shouldn't be looked down on.

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  19. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

20. jrider

jrider

I still wonder why anyone would but anything put pure maple syrup on pancakes...

Ron T, Rich L, Chaz and 5 others like this.