In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. imacman

imacman

Too bad he isn't doing it when points are on the line.

wildwest, IHATEPROPANE and ivanhoe like this.
  2. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

New season.
    Right now, they are all tied for first place!
    Betting his year will be better than last.
    I remember Dale Earnhardt going a year with no wins.
    Then won several more years..

Dan

3. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

He annihilated open wheel racing this past season...
    Was my favorite from his first race in NASCAR..

larson.jpg

Dan

ivanhoe, IHATEPROPANE and imacman like this.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I'm fine been doing as little as I can. I eat and sleep after all it is that time of year.

jtakeman, ivanhoe, savemoney and 8 others like this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:handshake:

:)

6. savemoney

savemoney

I was beginning to wonder if you had taken another fall. Not usual for you to be away a week without something going on. Glad to see you pop up again.
    I got my covid shot today. Complete surprise. I was at the hospital at the right time at the end of a scheduled clinic.
    Next week, I go to the VA and get my new motorized chair. I can use this one inside unlike my scooter which is too large for inside this place. I'll be able to tip back in it and have my feet up allowing some of the swelling to go down.

imacman, IHATEPROPANE, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  7. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Actually got accepted today (2/11)

Dan

8. bogieb

bogieb

Haven't gotten a notice of acceptance yet.

ivanhoe, imacman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  9. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I have been watching the deer, birds, bunnies, bears, fox , wolves and trains on youtube.

10. imacman

imacman

ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  11. savemoney

savemoney

I watch that a lot also. I like the singing, the bands and other things like natural wonders of the world. Some of the new ones taken with drones are really nice. Can explore the world right from my chair at home. some of the cooking vids are good also. Very down to earth cooks.

12. savemoney

savemoney

Can't believe I did it, but I have called Rocky's stove shop to come and clean my stove plus change the door gasket. With my COPD, bad knees and back pain, I just can't move like I should. Plus I need to keep away from the ash as much as possible.
    When I dump the ash bucket, I wear my N95 mask and keep the vac going with the hepa filter. At least the P68 is easy to get the ash out of it. So far, I am still able to load the stove. I sure am glad I got this Harman stove P series. I am really disabled now but somehow have figured out work arounds so I can keep it going. I'm looking into getting a mini split for additional heating needs and for cooling. I can't stand hot weather.

CleanFire, imacman, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  13. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

Well, it's been an interesting day! I was working on the apartment upstairs and had just come down to my place. I smelled something. It smelled like hot metal. I looked at the stove and it was puttering along with maybe 8 to 10 inch flames. Didn't smell anything around the stove. I went around and checked the stove, oven, microwave, basically anything that was plugged in and found nothing. The smell was getting stronger too. Looking into my family room where the stove is, I could see a bit of smoke wafting around. Just then my smoke detectors went off. Using my flashlight I shined it up where the pipe goes through the wall. Sure enough there was smoke coming into the house. I got my step ladder and felt the pipe and the elbow was very hot. Much much hotter than it usually gets so I went and looked outside and sure enough, there were flames coming out of my termination cap.. Turned off the stove and call the FD just in case. Bottom line was there was no damage to the house as the pipe was installed correctly through a thimble. I removed the pipe and brought everything outside. The pipe was clean with the exception of the last 6 inches. It still wasn't bad as creosote goes, but obviously bad enough to catch fire . The smell and smoke I saw was from the paint burning off of the pipe and getting sucked into the house through the little crack around the pipe where it goes through the thimble. I replaced the 12 inch section of pipe and the termination cap just in case and reinstalled everything.

It's been cold here so the stove's been cranking. Before that, it was on room temp and started and stopped as it should. I had the whole venting system out this past November and scrubbed it whistle clean. Once a month I do a deep clean. This is the second time this has happened. Once about 10 years ago with my Baby Countryside and now this. The lesson to be learned is when I do my deep clean, remove that 12 inch pipe and termination cap and get rid of any creosote.

I think the root cause of this is my pipe is too long and it's relatively cool by the time it makes the 90 degree bend and exits the house. It's 8 feet from the connection on the stove to where it bends to go outside. The smoke condenses at the termination cap and forms creosote. Over time it builds up to the point it catches fire when the stove starts cranking.

eatonpcat, CleanFire, imacman and 7 others like this.
  14. savemoney

savemoney

That is scary. Glad you were home at the time.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Glad things turn for the better, not a episode to deal with at anytime. Something to keep a eye on forever. Stay safe and prudent my friend!

16. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

My thought as well. My wife asked me what would have happened if we weren't home. I think it would have set off the alarms, filled the house with smoke...and burnt itself out. It's a proper install and the thimble wasn't even warm. I think the only damage would have been some scorched paint on the pipe. Still, you never know. There really wasn't a lot of creosote, especially compared to what a wood stove produces!

eatonpcat, schoondog, imacman and 2 others like this.
  17. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

Yup. I usually do a twice a season deep clean that includes my vent pipe. I guess now I will bump that up to a 3 times a season with frequent checks in between.

18. bogieb

bogieb

Glad everything turned out well for you!

19. imacman

imacman

Got mine in email from TurboTax this morning.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe