In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oak and mulberry morning scrounge

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Jan 23, 2021.

  1. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,085
    Likes Received:
    42,809
    Location:
    NJ
    A former student of mine who is now a homeowner contacted me about an oak tree he took down asking if I wanted the wood. He said I could back my truck right to it (which is a must for me and always the first question I ask). I went over there this morning in my pickup to get all of the small wood which is easy for my 9yo son to split for his firewood business. I didn’t plan on getting the big stuff (which I took to my moms farm to break down with the tw6) but a neighbor offered to help load the big rounds. So once I drove the 4 miles back home in my loaded pickup, I grabbed my neighbor and my dump truck and went back to get the bigger wood. I also had a lady 3 miles from my moms house contact me about some mulberry she had cut down so I got that today as well. All in all, spent about 2.5 hours total (including driving time) and ended up with just over 2 cords of wood.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,826
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Nice Joe! Thats some big MB! Rare wood for you? Will that be a premium priced wood?
     
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  3. Biddleman

    Biddleman

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2019
    Messages:
    3,069
    Likes Received:
    24,193
    Location:
    River Hills of Pennsylvania
    Looks like another winner of a day for you jrider. 2 cords in 2.5 hours is hard to beat, I'll take that anyday
     
  4. BuckeyeFootball

    BuckeyeFootball

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2020
    Messages:
    1,336
    Likes Received:
    9,114
    Location:
    Michigan
    Thats a pretty big Mulberry nice score.
     
  5. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,338
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Great score! Mulberry and oak are the bee’s knee’s.
     
  6. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,085
    Likes Received:
    42,809
    Location:
    NJ
    I don’t get enough of it to keep it separate. It will go in my mixed hardwood pile
     
  7. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,085
    Likes Received:
    42,809
    Location:
    NJ
    Mulberry is one of my favorites to burn in my fireplace
     
  8. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,351
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    That sounds about right. About 2.5 hours for two cord!:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: We give up jrider! That’s some production!
     
  9. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,085
    Likes Received:
    42,809
    Location:
    NJ
    lt's easy when you can pull your truck right up to the wood and there's no limbs to deal with.
     
    Haftacut and Midwinter like this.
  10. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,351
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    Very true. I went and got the rest of a cherry log this morning. Six big rounds filled the bed of the truck. I had three more Big rounds I stacked On top of them and then filled in the gaps with a bunch of small stuff. Limb wood definitely slows me down! D7FF5214-A486-480F-AB35-E6E1C4A946B2.jpeg
     
    jrider and buZZsaw BRAD like this.