In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Look what you all made me do

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Softwood, Jan 20, 2021.

  1. Softwood

    Softwood

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2020
    Messages:
    1,085
    Likes Received:
    6,599
    Location:
    Central WI
    1F4044B9-152B-47C7-8F7E-8DCEA1FBFC4F.jpeg I’ve only been on this site a short time and you already talked me into this..:D I’ve just been splitting with an old 8#(I think) menards special maul.

    I've also built a hookaroon and hoarded some pallets from work for future wood storage..

    Thanks a lot:salute:
     
  2. Eckie

    Eckie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2019
    Messages:
    3,721
    Likes Received:
    18,763
    Location:
    Virginia
    Hehehehehe..... just wait...it gets better.. :D
     
  3. Ronaldo

    Ronaldo

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2015
    Messages:
    1,775
    Likes Received:
    11,274
    Location:
    Iowa
    Or worse......o_O
     
  4. buzz-saw

    buzz-saw

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2020
    Messages:
    4,941
    Likes Received:
    29,039
    Location:
    Ct.
    Softwood,
    You should be very happy with that , nice upgrade
     
  5. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,856
    Likes Received:
    121,400
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Tell us about your saw line up.. :D
     
  6. Softwood

    Softwood

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2020
    Messages:
    1,085
    Likes Received:
    6,599
    Location:
    Central WI
    Well,, as of now...:) I just have a ol Jonsered 625II with an 18" bar..
     
  7. Softwood

    Softwood

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2020
    Messages:
    1,085
    Likes Received:
    6,599
    Location:
    Central WI
    Got to play with the new toys on a little dead standing oak a little before dark.
    83DD22EB-764F-401B-8572-F368AAD27245.jpeg
    It was easy splitting wood but was super happy with the X27. With the big maul I have to make sure I’m squared up pretty good or risk tweeking something. With the X27 I definitely didn’t have to worry about that.
    2F9F550B-9E70-4A64-914D-B1891DD15882.jpeg
    got a little punky towards the base but still %28 moisture in the good wood inside the punk. (and no I never had a MM before I found this site :thumbs:)

    And I know I'm a rookie picture poster, no saw or x27 or pickaroon in the pic..
     
  8. Dakota Hoarder

    Dakota Hoarder

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2017
    Messages:
    1,554
    Likes Received:
    9,094
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Looks like your already happy with your new tool. I find the X27 splits as good as a basic 8lb maul at half the weight. Next up you’ll “need” the Isocore for the big stuff. You won’t be disappointed!
     
    metalcuttr, Midwinter, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  9. Softwood

    Softwood

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2020
    Messages:
    1,085
    Likes Received:
    6,599
    Location:
    Central WI
    Yeah I should be able to swing that a LOT more than the big maul before I run outta steam..
     
  10. Chazsbetterhalf

    Chazsbetterhalf

    Joined:
    May 18, 2018
    Messages:
    6,010
    Likes Received:
    39,593
    Location:
    Ny
    Welcome to FHC. :D That is what we do.
     
  11. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    Can anyone say Isocore?
     
  12. buzz-saw

    buzz-saw

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2020
    Messages:
    4,941
    Likes Received:
    29,039
    Location:
    Ct.
    buZZsawBrad can.
    Rumor is he says that while he is sleep-walking.:stacker:
     
  13. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    I see we are rubbing off on you! ;)
     
  14. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,753
    Likes Received:
    214,950
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    How do you like the X27 Softwood ?
     
    metalcuttr, Chazsbetterhalf and Horkn like this.
  16. Softwood

    Softwood

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2020
    Messages:
    1,085
    Likes Received:
    6,599
    Location:
    Central WI
    It's pretty nice, I'm glad I bought it. Haven't got to use it a ton yet or on anything too gnarly but made some quick work of some poplar last weekend.