In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New school schedule possiblity

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by wildwest, Jan 21, 2021.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Proposed for next year, every Friday is a 1/2 day according to a survey MANY parents did not get to participate in. Christmas Break is Dec 24-Jan 7th "for traveling after the new year". Am I in on another planet?

The two top months cropped off are July 2021 and Jan 2022
    upload_2021-1-21_12-59-52.png

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

The survey was email only. What happened to letters sent to parent's homes or a note sent home with the kids?

"Please send out the initial survey again, too many of us did not get the opportunity to give feedback. This email came from a person named Sean, it appears to be a personal email address from someone I don't know, I'm just lucky I opened it. Did the original survey also come out from a name that I and others do not know, and scrolled by? Is ACDS1 now email only communication? A letter sent home to parents would likely include MANY more participants that this schedule impacts, first impression is your survey did not include enough school district families. Also, Boys and Girls Club will not work for rural schools unless you bus them to town and put them back on the bus after 1.5 hours in town."

For those that noticed, I've been vocal here that our teachers and classroom environment is something many (most?) parents cannot reproduce at home. Most teachers are in the profession because they have the talent and love and they work magic with kids. They stated our elementary schools only require 900 hours of classroom per year and we are currently, like the last 50 years......... near 1200. I don't get it. I'm fortunate, I'm home if they do 1/2 days every Friday but too many parents work 9-5 and will be scrambling for day care or kids left home alone. That and this is not a big town, the day care centers here can not absorb 1/2 the school district's students on Friday afternoons.

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

"for traveling after the new year" ????????

They must be talking about teachers/administration and certainly not the students and their families?? :picard:

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

The schools in my town went to half days every Wednesday, but did this years ago. I don't recall why. The teachers get out the same time as the students so I know they're not working on professional development or administrative duties. Not to say they aren't doing catch up work at home like so many end up doing due to not enough hours in the day... but I can only speculate really. It could be something the teachers' union worked out in lieu of salary increases :whistle:

Backwoods Savage, Camber and wildwest like this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

The first day off for Christmas Break is Christmas Eve? Who are these people that responded?!?! I'm sorry, the demographics of where I live are obvious.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

It could be out there but we do not have unions here. Our teachers were scrambling to get back in the classroom this year, they are in it for kids, not unions and definately not the pay. I'm writing the principle right now since I know her, specifically, what is the purpose of cutting Elementary school students by 300 seat hours per year.

7. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Sounds like the best course of action to get clarification. That's pretty mind boggling that they could have a majority vote for this without confirming that all the parents were at least aware of the proposal. It puts a lot of parents in a tough spot for sure.

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks Eric, the Principle is a good Lady, I'm sure she'll answer when she can. And for sure it does put many parents in a tough spot, shortsighted in my view. I'm more concerned about less teacher and classroom experience time for mine personally, but definitely a breakdown in communication IMO.