In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lets hear about Boots for working in the woods.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by happysawer4741, Jan 20, 2021.

1. XXL

XXL

Not these ones. More of a 3 season boot. I have worn Bama socks in them once or twice in cold weather but don't cut much in the winter anymore.

Viking does make a winter chainsaw boot too.
    [​IMG]

2. jrider

jrider

Don’t worry, I cut in sneakers 99% of the time. I’m sure I will get crap for that but it’s what works for me. To be fair though, I’m not spending much time at all cutting in the woods. Most of what I do is out in a field and am cutting logs off the forks of a tractor

3. tamarack

tamarack

My warm weather boots are Wesco job masters, got three pairs of colder weather boots. Irish setter elk trackers, LL bean with the thinsulate liners, and insulated danner rainforest. Always nice in winter months to be able to let one pair dry out and wear other ones.

4. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I’ve been wearing Timberland Pro’s for the past 10ish years. I used to get about 6 months out of a pair of boots at work before they were ruined. The Timberlands would last me a year. I used to buy new in the fall and use them for home use until spring, then move them to work duty.

I bought a pair of Dr Martins industrial boots once. They were incredibly comfortable, like the most comfortable ever, but I ended up with plantar fasciitis because of them.

in the winter now I still wear Timberlands, but I bought a pair of insulated muck boots for snow use.

5. Chud

Chud

I’ve been wearing the same pair of Redwings for at least 3yrs at work and home. Some are made in USA, some are Chinese, some are assembled in US with foreign materials. They make b width boots is the main reason I wear them. The only complaint I have with them is the soles wearing out too quick. The uppers only get better with age.

6. Thor

Thor

I'm a Red Wings fan. But like Screwloose said they have gone downhill. I get a boot allowance at work for 150 bucks a year. So I spend 50 -100 bucks a year on them.

7. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

Dont feel bad, right now I am wearing a $32 pair of walmart winter boots, shockingly they aren't bad.

8. Baldhornet

Baldhornet

I wear this same boot. Great traction in the snow. Ordered them a size larger. A felt insole and heavy alpaca wool socks keep my feet warmish for a couple hours.

9. Slocum

Slocum

I wear thorogoods. Best leather I’ve ever head on my feet.

10. Boogeyman

Boogeyman

On flat ground I wear an old pair of thorogoods, I'll gladly throw in another vote for them. In the woods I'll wear lacrosse boots or merrell hiking shoes.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. Flamestead

Flamestead

Steel. Check out videos of chainsaws cutting the composites like they weren’t even there.

Erik B and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I have worn Red Wing slip on's, steel toe boots for probably 30 years, as a construction worker. And usually some form of Rocky boot for hunting, etc.
    I used to swear by the Red Wings but the quality has gone down hill a little, and now for a few years, you can only buy them at a Red Wing only store. And the selections in stock are lousy now. They quite making the exact model I have been wearing and I currently have another model number which is supposed to be close on order. They don't keep them in stock anymore, the ones I like anyway. What they do keep in stock is crap now!

I am tempted to try a pair of the hand made boots by White or JK or someone, but I have never seen a pair in the flesh and hate to spend that much to find out if I like or not.

Also, Red Wing used to make for many many years an over the calf cotton boot sock which I always wore for many many years and now they don't make them anymore and I have not found a totally acceptable replacement yet. I have bought some Merino wool over the calf's lately, trying to find something I liked and some of those are not too bad. I don't know if they would be good for summer or not, though.

Buzz Benton and Backwoods Savage like this.
  13. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I have to agree. I have 25 years of wearing lace up steel toe work boots. First pair I sent back for resoles around the 10 year mark. Second pair are coming apart at stitches and soles after 2 years.
    I was climbing cell towers mostly on that first pair. 2nd pair was more just regular ground construction work.
    I was a Redwings diehard but am going to follow and check out the suggestions on this thread when I go for a new pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzz Benton and Backwoods Savage like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

$50 Walmart specials...Brahma brand i think. I need flex for when i kneel on the job and dont want anything clumsy in the woods. They wear well and am overdo for a new pair. Ive bought expensive boots and cant say thay are worth the extra money. Either that or im CHEEEP

Backwoods Savage and Mag Craft like this.
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

gives new meaning to safe cutting! :rofl: :lol:

16. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

Same for me, but I get the $35 pair, go through 2 pairs a summer. I have had lacrosse and other expensive boots and one I just can't make my self spend over $120 bucks on a pair of boots that still need replacing in 4 months and 2 I am cheap :rofl: :lol:

17. blacktail

blacktail

Decent boots ain't cheap. I cut in a pair of steel toe Caterpillar boots for quite a few years. A store had them mismarked at about 50% of normal when I bought them. Not top of the line, but they weren't exactly cheap at normal price.
    My firewood boots the last few years are steel toe carhartts that I got for a really good price from Sierra Trading Post. Really happy with these.

Attached Files:

tamarack, Backwoods Savage and Ron T like this.
  18. CJL

CJL

I have the redwing dynaforce steel toe, very comfortable. My last pair lasted 6 months and one sole started falling apart. The redwing store gave me a new pair for free so I’m happy. However that definitely goes with what everyone is saying about the quality going downhill.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  19. Ron T

Ron T

I've been running the exact same carharts for a year now. I got them marked down to 50 on sale. I am cheap on a few things as well.

blacktail and Backwoods Savage like this.
  20. happysawer4741

happysawer4741 Banned

My Whites Tracker Boots 01212021.jpg.jpeg Whites Tracker Boots 01192021.jpg.jpeg
    Well here is my Whites Tracker Boots.