In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tougher and tougher to scrounge.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Ohio dave, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

People keep listing fresh cut rounds $100 per pick up load. Is there anyone out there paying that much?
    I list $80 per short bed (6.5ft) load of split and aged at least 6 months and still get people complaining its too much.

2. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo

It's the covid effect imo. People have more time on their hands and are cutting wood to make a little money. In my neck of the woods a guys selling 3 face cord seasoned wood split and delivered within 20 miles from his place for $150. Its supply and demand. Theres more people selling wood this year than previous years so the price is lower.

3. Chud

Chud

Lot’s of people between a rock and hard place. Don’t short yourself if you don’t have to. The wood has heat value and energy savings for me, so I’m not gonna give it away for peanuts.

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Few years ago a guy buys half cord seasoned from me. Turns out he lives right down the street. He had some rounds, saw and splitter and did make his own firewood. Asks me if i ever get loads of rounds he would buy them. Fast forward to fall 2019. Tree service cutting wood all around here. Too much for me. I called him and he agreed to $90 for a level PU full roughly half cord. Sold him five loads and it was close by. I havent sold him or any since as i usually process my rounds ASAP.
    Your price seems fair to me. Cant say i see a lot of sellers offering full rounds.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

X2

6. oldspark

oldspark

Never could figure out how some people could sell firewood as cheap as they do, for me cutting, splitting and stacking is not easy or quick (it is enjoyable though).

7. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

I know...especially in rural areas. I live in a big city, where a face cord costs you $170 (US) delivered. In the area where my country property is, about two hours from here, a face cord is about a hundred lower...which is really low, in my opinion.

8. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I just bought a pick up load of assorted hard woods (locust, oak, and a little walnut) for $100. It had been sitting in my friends garage for 2 years. He liked to cut and split wood to donate to groups in the summer, but all of their activities were cancelled so he has way more than he will ever use.
    I needed some help getting ahead of my work and he needed a place for them to go, so it was a win win in my book.

9. overactor

overactor

If you were closer to columbus I could hook you up for free. I get wood for free from a golf course

10. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I have a few tree services that call me. And I manage to find enough other free wood to get me 15-20 cords a year. I use 5-6 for heat and canpfires and sell the rest. Since its more of a hobby for me that's all I need. But I see more and people thinking they can get processed firewood prices for rounds

11. overactor

overactor

Thats true. I heat with a OWB and generally scrounge enough from the golf course for me an my neighbor who uses a cast iron stove. But there is always alot of wood left.

12. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Like the other buzzsaw mentioned , no shortage around here. Still seems to be plenty of tree work going on.
    I haven't taken any more lately , really want to process what I have here already , and a co worker also has plenty I can grab at any time.
    Key word there " time " ; don't have much of that but trying to make more. When I figure how to make more in a day I will pass it on.

13. Screwloose

Screwloose

Times are tough for a lot of people. If you're comfortable doing so let it be known that you can provide some tree work for the firewood as partial or full payment. It helps them by not paying much if anything and you get the wood.

14. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Good advice. I have done that before myself.

Screwloose and Midwinter like this.