In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mtronic Question

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jan 11, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Bought my first Mtronic saw yesterday. MS201C-EM rear handle.
    The saw was less than two years old and fired right up. Used it a bit yesterday. IMG_3814.JPG
    My question
    How should i start/run this different than a regular carbed saw?
    My adversion to Mtronic is the fact that future repair work on anything that has a computer can get expensive.
    Any advice/tips greatly appreciated FHC.

2. Chud

Chud

Not much difference. Choke, pull until fired and running, blip the throttle to knock choke off. Congrats on the new Stihl! 35cc dynamo

3. lukem

lukem

Put it in the start position and pull the rope till it fires. The only difference is you can't really flood them if you don't catch the "pop" and change from full choke to half choke. Run it like it owes you money.

4. Chud

Chud

On the 201 you may have to hold choke on until fired than release. It’s different than bigger saws, at least our top handle it is.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  5. JimBear

JimBear

I thought I read that at the starting of the saw on a new days cutting you should let it idle for 15-20 seconds so it can adjust itself to any new temperature/humidity/altitude changes.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

It can't adjust at 13000 RPM? :D;)

7. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Start it and cut wood with it, the Mtronic/Autotune will do all it needs to do.

8. happysawer4741

happysawer4741 Banned

My CM261C-M has had no starting or running problems, tested it when it was 22F left it outside half an hour it fired right up and was ready to go.
    Same with when Temp. is at 50F.

How i do my starting full choke pull to prime fuel, choke off and get it going.

I let it idle a short while at shut down for the computer to adjust the calibration, not really sure it is needed but it can't hurt anything.

Anyone have better ideas lets see them.

9. Chud

Chud

You might be right. I haven’t read the manual for my mtronic saws. I do let mine run on choke for a few seconds before blipping the throttle. The 201tcm I use at work has the switch on top of the handle. You have to hold the switch on choke until it fires than release. Never kept it choked while idling.

10. lukem

lukem

If my saw is stone cold I will let it sit and idle 60-90 seconds before I cut wood. That's just a good habit to have no matter what type of fuel delivery system you have.

11. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

^^^^^^Very true.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive also heard if you shut the saw down when its at full throttle the computer will "remember" this and when its started the next time it will race??? Dont know how true this is but i did see it somewhere. Maybe here.

13. Smaug

Smaug

In two days its the new moon. January 13th, 2021, 12:02am.
    Depending on what timezone you are in, you are supposed to start the saw at 12:00 GMC with a new moon and let it idle for 60 seconds, but not more than 70 seconds.

This needs to be repeated at least twice a year, assuming you are in the same location.

At least that's what I read on an internet forum once...
    :D

14. Warner

Warner

Shutting any engine down at WOT should be avoided.

15. lukem

lukem

The Mtronic doesn't open the butterfly....it only adjusts fuel to RPM. I don't see how this is even possible.

16. happysawer4741

happysawer4741 Banned

I have had it happen a few times i always let mine idle some before shutting down but it has happened, since i am quick to kick the blade brake off i don't worry about it.

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Amen!
    And X10 on turbo's

18. Yawner

Yawner

I do same. Absolute pet peeve of mine to see people start a saw and IMMEDIATELY rev hell out of it. What the hell are you doing! It just doesn't make sense to me. Why not let the motor warm up just a little, lol. I dunno, it's what I do. I do it on most any small engine. For a saw, there is always something to do right before cutting wood, that is warm up time for my saw.

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Anyone ever see a cold seized engine...I have...was standing right there when it happened...dumb punk started up a stone cold YZ125 and bounced it off the rev limiter a few times...then it just kinda shut off...locked up...piston was smeared all over the cylinder walls. Ran like a top prior to that.
    Cold seizing is more of an issue on water cooled engines though...not that it would be impossible on air cooled...

20. Screwloose

Screwloose

I've seen it happen on a weed Wacker. Guy flooded it, got it running and reved the pizz out of it. The pistons heat and expand before the hole and......
    Even if you don't get it stuck you aren't doing it any good.