In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Wolfe Ridge 28 Tom High Output

Discussion in 'Wood Splitters' started by eipo, Nov 12, 2020.

1. eipo

eipo

I just picked it up yesterday morning. I am hoping to get some time on it this weekend but likely won’t be a full day of processing.

This is replacing a Super Split HD and while I adored the SS, there was just too much input involved from an operator standpoint to only have 1 useable split be produced per stroke. And that’s after whittling down a round already.

[​IMG]

I would have loved a box wedge machine, but that was just out of my budget.

I will update as I use the splitter with comparisons being in direct relation to the SS and likely some of the other hydraulic splitters I’ve owned/borrowed in the past.

2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Nice Splitter and Trailer!! Congrats

3. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Say it aint so...

The Super Split is an incredible machine. The HD and SE models even more so.

You must produce a ton of firewood for the SS HD to not be up to the task. How many cords/year?

4. eipo

eipo

It’s not that the SS wasn’t up to the task, it’s the amount of input needed to utilize its production abilities.

It takes a fair bit of effort to take say a 16” round down to typical firewood size splits. Approx 3 cycles to slice the round into 3 pieces. Assuming they split clean and don’t need to be manhandled apart, that’s also 3 pieces that need to be pulled back to be split again. Then each of those pieces need to be split at least 1 time, usually twice or three times. So that’s a minimum of 9 cycles to split 1 round. Sure it does it quickly, but it’s exhausting maintaining that production rate especially if you’re only 2 people strong. During one splitting weekend we had 2 adults and 2 teenagers processing with the SS and that was about perfect to keep the SS moving.

I anticipate I can accomplish the same production rate with this splitter using less operator input. I’m hopeful anyway. 16” round I figure 2 or 3 cycles on the splitter and it’s done. The slower cycle time will also allow me to not feel compelled to keep up with the splitter while still producing the same amount of split wood at the end of the day.

I do have an issue in that I don’t need to process the amount of wood that I do, but it’s therapeutic. Eventually I would like to start selling firewood as a side hustle. Try to get the groundwork laid now for when I fully retire to have something up and running.

I did love everything about my SS, other then it straight wore me out. I always felt compelled to keep the rack moving and with a sub 3 second cycle time, that’s a hustle to keep up with.

5. chris

chris

When the snow on the mountain gets thin you will appreciate that 10-12 second cycle time.

chipsoflyin and Chvymn99 like this.
  6. eipo

eipo

Last weekends plans got nixed when family pictures got moved to Sat due to the forecast for Sunday. And Sunday was miserable so I didn't get a chance to do anything.

I did, however, get some time on it tonite. Cleaned up all the odds and ends laying around the splitting area in anticipation of moving things around to facilitate a different process, a little better than a facecord.

My daughter usually runs the controls and she was quite excited to to try it out, so after a quick run down of which lever did what, I started feeding her rounds. Things moved a little slow as she was taking her time and I was staying alert to what she was doing so we didn't have an accident.

The slower cycle time, compared to the SS was very nice. We started with the 6 way, but the wood I was feeding her was too big to facilitate nice sized splits coming off through 1 cycle. SO we swapped to the 4 way and I can see that being the primary wedge for anything over say 18-20" rounds. The 6 way will be perfect for 16-18" rounds being pushed through without needing any resplitting.

Working height is perfect for me, @ 6'4. Daughter didn't seem to have any issues with the height, and at one point we switched as she wanted to feed me rounds and I ran it for awhile.

About 20 minutes of splitting brought the HYD oil temp to 80 degrees, up from about 50.

There were a couple gnarly crotches we pushed through the 4 way that definitely slowed the cylinder down, I didn't think to look and see what the pressure was, but it pushed them through with very little movement of the main wedge. I was quite impressed with that.

I think trying to isolate the operator from some engine noise may work its way into me making the splitter work better for us. With the engine on the same side and right next to the primary operator station, it can be a bit loud even with muffs on. I'm a bit sensitive to noise though.

Its balanced very well, very little tongue weight so its easy to move around by hand. It does require having both jacks down when in use unless you leave it connected to the ball, then the jack under the beam would be all that's needed. The wide axle on the HO model coupled with the jacks give 4 points of contact with the ground.

Overall, so far, I wouldn't change anything other than perhaps some type of baffle to direct engine noise away from the operator. But that's specific to me, I have sensitive hearing. I am toying with setting some piers in my splitting area, setting the splitter on the piers and removing the tongue and wheels. Then eventually construct a roof over the splitter and just leave it out.

7. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Good to hear about wolf ridge I am currently looking at a High output model and a 16 ft elevator I am waiting to hear back from eastonmade and timberwolf also

8. eipo

eipo

I still haven't gotten a chance to get a decent block of time on the splitter. Despite the kids activities all being canceled, there is always something that gets in the way of me having fun.

I do think tomorrow I am going to start building a roof structure so I can keep the splitter in the yard.

9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I did hear back from Wolfe ridge they gave me the package price for what I want is 16890.00 Eastonmade is closed this week so I will probably get their quote next week You said something about a box wedge splitter I looked at them but they seem to waste a lot of wood any multi wedge splitter generates extra slivers but the box machines seem to generate a lot good luck with your machine JB

T.Jeff Veal and eipo like this.
  10. eipo

eipo

Yes, a box wedge machine produces a fair bit of "waste." Squared splits are awesome for loading a stove, though. One of the beautiful benefits of a box wedge machine, despite the splitter trash, is it pulls the round back for re-splitting.

I keep all the splitter trash that's worth being used as kindling. Eventually once I start selling firewood, Ill bundle the splitter trash as kindling and sell that too.

I have right around $9500 into my HO machine. So far I don't regret it a bit. Other than not really getting any time on it. I'm far enough ahead that there really isn't a push for me to get out and split. But I do want to.

T.Jeff Veal and JB Sawman like this.
  11. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Are you using a conveyor? or do you always have help I work by myself and I found the multi wedge splitters make wood so fast you bury yourself so fast you spend more time moving material than splitting I currently use a older Iron&Oak commercial with 4 way but the beam has been welded up a couple times for wear and she is just wipped that is why I am upgrading JB

12. eipo

eipo

I do not use a conveyor. I pay our kids $30 per wagon load of processed wood, which amounts to about half a full cord, split between them to help. My daughter does the majority of the cutting and my son and I run the splitter. Once the wagon is full, we go stack and then start over. If I didn't have any help, I would need a conveyor and I would likely have to split into windrows.

Everything has changed with the arrival of the new splitter, so there are kinks that I know Ill need to work out.

T.Jeff Veal, eatonpcat and JB Sawman like this.
  13. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

All of our kids have 4 feet they watch from the window of the house and wait for the petting when I come inside :rofl: :lol: it is great that your kids even want to help where I live in Pa most feel that work is a word they do not understand there is no phone app for stacking wood JB

14. eipo

eipo

Oh, they don't "want" to help! Daughter is decent about it, she likes running the saws. At least for a little while. Our son is not interested, he's only there because I make him.

15. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I remember when I was a kid if it involved any kind of loud noise or equipment you could not keep me away the only work I disliked was concrete work to this day I try to avoid it :rofl: :lol: JB

T.Jeff Veal, eipo and farmer steve like this.
  16. eipo

eipo

I am going to pick up a conveyor tomorrow. Owners says its been used once, picture bears that out. Its a 12' conveyor, which was too short for him but will suit me perfectly. I only load into a wagon or trailer.

17. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

12 ft is a nice size for loading in wagon or small dump nice find JB

18. eipo

eipo

520 miles round trip. It’s basically brand new. Sadly it looks like I’ll have to wait until next weekend to set everything up. My daughter and I bucked up a pile on Sat, so we can hit the ground running, weather dependent.

[​IMG]

T.Jeff Veal, JB Sawman and eatonpcat like this.
  19. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Real nice that looks hardly used nice find !! JB

20. eipo

eipo

Approx a facecord in a relaxed 10 minutes, what’s not to like.....

[​IMG]

T.Jeff Veal, eatonpcat and JB Sawman like this.