In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Has anyone used : getchipdrop.com?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by SammyWhammy, Dec 23, 2020.

1. SammyWhammy

SammyWhammy

This website will take your information and you can request chips or logs from tree services who use this site. It looks like you can even filter what type of logs you are willing to accept. I’m not sure on how this site actually works, but hopefully someone will be able to utilize it to their advantage.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I figured I would try and help.

2. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I've gotten 4 drops in a period of about 8 months. If you request both chips and logs you are more likely to get a drop. I live in a rural area. Most of the tree guys (not arborists in my area) don't use it but I have a few companies a county away that do some work locally. I have found them to be cordial and appreciative. I can also guarantee that you never know what you'll get. Expect to see some big, gnarly, ugly stuff. But, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. :D

3. i have used the site so far i have been waiting 6 months for a drop

4. Ron T

Ron T

Same here

5. Yawner

Yawner

I have never been contacted, been registered probably 2 years.

6. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

I signed up, got nothing. Guessing nobody uses it round here.

There’s a free drop in town that most arborists use that chips all the wood, I think they sell it to the ethanol plant that burns it for fuel.

7. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

I've had 2 drops. The first was all ash and came out to about 3 cord split and stacked. The second was hickory and ash and came out to be nearly 6 cord split and stacked. I live off the beaten path so I'm happy with the results.

8. Haftacut

Haftacut

I’d be pretty pumped too, especially after hearing the results from some of the prior posts:yes:

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I havent and am not signed up. I know mrfancyplants has.

10. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Same for me but its been closer to a year.

11. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I am not signed up but I did do the the ol' fashioned way and just happened to meet.....the tree service guy of my dreams. Hahahaha.

He dropped off this load of black locust yesterday, probably around 2 cords. He also dropped off some spruce and pine the other day. I always tell him 16" and he does a really good job of cutting it to length. If sometimes is a tad too long for my liking I have no problem whipping out the chainsaws to make some cookies.

IMG_20201224_093225.jpg

12. Trueg50

Trueg50

I signed up but no one nearby uses it.

It is more for urban/suburban areas where they have to pay a dump for disposal. Out here they either directly sell wood chips to people or power plants or sell the wood to folks to process to firewood.

Dakota Hoarder and Midwinter like this.
  13. bert the turtle

bert the turtle

I got a great load of beautiful chips a couple weeks after signing up. It's been months since then and nothing. Free is free. Doesn't take any effort for me to stay signed up.

Midwinter likes this.
  14. eipo

eipo

Ive gotten chips, haven't tried getting logs.

Also, you have to sign up for a drop, just being registered on the site doesn't get you on a list as a drop site. Just in case some of you think all yo have to do is register on the site. Drop requests also expire.

ETA: Or maybe they don't. I just logged in and saw I still have an active request for chips that I received back in July. I could swear I had one of my requests expire.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Midwinter and LordOfTheFlies like this.
  15. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I think what most tree people fear I'd that people who get drops (via the app or otherwise) will only be a one time deal......what they need is a consistent place they can go to to get rid of stuff.....

I know that's how a few tree people saw me as until I texted them an Oliver Twist and asked for more!

I tell them all that whatever I take if I can't use I can give away.

Dakota Hoarder, Midwinter and eipo like this.
  16. Yawner

Yawner

I can't login, guess they purged me. I registered again and it asked if I wanted to cover a $20 drop fee. What is that, does the tree service pay Getchipdrop? I didn't do it but hmmm... they might cater only to those who pay. They said, "ChipDrop is free to you, but the arborists pay a small fee ($20 a drop). To offset their cost, you can offer to pay their fee, and potentially get a faster ChipDrop."

Midwinter likes this.
  17. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Anyone just call local tre companies, tell them what you're after, and see what happens? We must have a dozen in our area, and some of them dont chip, or would be willing to chip less. Havent tried this yet, but have ideas to. Perhaps stop by with good donuts at the office...

Sca

LordOfTheFlies and Midwinter like this.
  18. eipo

eipo

Ive reached out to a few. Most of the smaller guys around here sell it. Either as unprocessed wood or they process it and sell it as firewood.

I do have a list going of tree companies that I'm going to call to get put on their list. Even if I have to flip them gas money, its worth it.

LordOfTheFlies and Midwinter like this.
  19. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I've reached out to 4 or 5. Nothing but crickets. But persistence and timing are probably the key. I figure the local guys already use everything themselves or have a place to dump. But the out-of-towners may wish not to haul chips and logs a county or further away to their home base. That's what has worked for me. Unfortunately, it's not consistent.

LordOfTheFlies likes this.
  20. Yawner

Yawner

The biggest hedge tree (bois d'arc, osage orange) I have ever seen fell in a storm in my town. The company that owned the lot called a tree service from the nearby big city. They came to cut it up. I lobbied for getting the wood and the head man acted like he would be my friend but in the end, he wouldn't give it to me. The service takes all wood stuff to a dump that chips it all up. What a waste, made me sick, I bet they didn't get much at all for that tree. It was, I dunno, couple feet DBH. Beautiful yellow wood. That three was old.

LordOfTheFlies likes this.